Multi machine installs.

I would like to know as well.
Since I use the Interlink controller, I can only use it on one machine at a time anyway.

You can install and register as many copies of RealFlight as you wish. The Interlink is required for an one of them anyways.

You physically can do it. And cArry the interlink between them. However Though the l license agreement in 6.5 says it is for 1 pc. As defined by loaded into ram or hard disk.

I'm wondering if installing RF7 on a USB drive or other removable hard drive would make it usable on any computer?

No sorry.

Windows requires that the "installer" be run to set up and configure libraries, registry entries, menu entries, file permissions, etc. etc. etc.

You would have to perform a separate installation on each machine.

You're better off just copying the installation DVD to the USB drive and install from there.

Of course your bound by the EULA to use the software on no more than ONE machine at a time with it's matching Interlink controller or interface.

Maybe KE can expand or amend the licensing verbiage? Since it is tied to the interlink you can't operate more than one at a time. Some people may like it on a full desktop but, have to travel with a laptop. That line about loaded in ram OR on to hard disk seems a bit too restrictive in this day/age we can't really run it more than once but technically having to uninstall it. And reinstall it (especially with add on expansions and custom model loading). Seems quite a pain.

I haven't re-read the EULA in a while, but I believe the wording is that you cannot run it on more than one machine at a time. That should exclude multiple installs.

If not it should be amended though I'd doubt anyone will ever do so to avoid loopholes for the unscrupulous set.

KE's own take on it, is as long as you're not giving it to others, you can install it on more than one of your own machines, as long as you use your Interlink on only one machine at a time.

Splitting hairs....

I have three "Interlink" devices now...

RF7 - with the interface box
An Interlink Elite
An Interlink Plus

Given that I can run three copies simultaneously. Am I violating the EULA by doing so even if I've only purchased one RF7 copy?

Last edited:
RF7 EULA
-------------------------------------------------------
REGISTERED VERSION: RealFlight(r) R/C Simulator
LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This Limited Use Software License Agreement (the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you, the end-user, and Knife Edge Software ("KES"). By continuing the installation of this game program, by loading or running the game, or by placing or copying the game program onto your computer hard drive, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, promptly return the game program and the accompanying items (including all written materials), along with your receipt to the place from where you obtained them for a full refund.

KES SOFTWARE LICENSE

1. Grant of License. KES grants to you the limited right to use one (1) copy of the enclosed or foregoing game program (the "Software") on a single computer. You have no ownership or proprietary rights in or to the Software or the written materials accompanying the Software. For purposes of this section, "use" means loading the Software into RAM, as well as installation on a hard disk or other storage device. The Software shall be either returned to KES or destroyed when no longer used in accordance with this Agreement, or when the right to use the Software is terminated. You agree that the Software will not be shipped, transferred or exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act (or any other law governing such matters) and that you will not utilize, in any other manner, the Software in violation of any applicable law.

2. Commercial Use is Prohibited. Except as provided in paragraph 5. Herein below in regard to the Software, under no circumstances shall you, the end-user, be permitted, allowed or authorized to commercially exploit the Software, any data comprising the Software. Neither you nor anyone at your direction shall do any of the following acts (any such acts shall be deemed void and a breach of this Agreement) with regard to the Software, or any portion thereof, such as a screen display or a screenshot:

a. Rent the Software;

b. Sell the Software;

c. Lease or lend the Software;

d. Offer the Software on a pay-per-play basis;

e. Distribute, by electronic means or otherwise, the Software for money or any other consideration; or

f. In any other manner and through any medium whatsoever commercially exploit the Software or use the Software for any commercial purpose.

3. Additional Prohibited Uses. Neither you nor anyone at your direction shall take the following action in regard to the Software, or any portion thereof, such as a screen display or a screenshot:

a. Modify, disassemble, reverse engineer or decompile Software;

b. Translate the Software;

c. Reproduce the Software;

d. Publicly display the Software;

e. Prepare derivative works based upon the Software except Permitted Derivative Works); or

f. Distribute, by electronic means or otherwise, the Software.

4. Use of Other Material is Prohibited. Use, in any manner, of the trademarks, such as RealFlight R/C Simulator (tm) logo, or symbols, art work, images, screen displays or screenshots, sound effects, music, and other such material contained within, generated by or relating to the Software is prohibited.

5. To Receive Permission to Commercially Exploit. If you desire to commercially exploit the Software, you may request a copy of and execute the Commercial Exploitation License Agreement for RealFlight R/C Simulator (the "License") and forward the original License to KES Software at the address noted therein. Please note that KES may refuse your request and not sign the License in KES's sole discretion.

6. Restrictions Apply to Third Parties. The prohibitions and restrictions described herein apply to anyone in possession of the Software and/or Permitted Derivative Works.

7. Copyright. The Software and all copyrights related thereto (including all characters and other images generated by the Software or depicted in the Software) is owned by KES and is protected by United States copyright laws and international treaty provisions. You must treat the Software like any other copyrighted material. You may not otherwise reproduce, copy or disclose to others, in whole or in any part, the Software. You may not copy the written materials accompanying the Software. The same restrictions and prohibitions regarding your use of the Software as provided in this Agreement apply to your use of the written materials accompanying the Software. The written materials are owned by KES and are protected by United States copyright laws and international treaties. You agree to use your best efforts to see that any user of the Software licensed hereunder complies with this Agreement.

8. Limited Warranty. KES warrants that if properly installed and operated on a computer for which it is designed, the Software will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying written materials for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase of the Software. KES's entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall be, at KES's option, either (a) return of the price paid or (b) repair or replacement of the Software that does not meet KES's Limited Warranty. To make a warranty claim, return the Software to Hobby Services at 3002 North Apollo Drive, Suite #1, Champaign, IL 61822 accompanied by proof of purchase, your name, your address, and a statement of defect, or return the Software with the above information to KES. This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Software has resulted in whole or in part from accident, abuse, misapplication or violation of this Agreement. Any replacement Software will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days from your receipt of the replacement software, whichever is longer. This warranty allocates risks of product failure between Licensee and KES. KES's product pricing reflects this allocation of risk and the limitations of liability contained in this warranty.

9. NO OTHER WARRANTIES. KES DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, BOTH EXPRESS IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING WRITTEN MATERIALS. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION. KES DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR FREE OR MEET LICENSEE'S SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS. THE WARRANTY SET FORTH ABOVE IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTIES WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN. THE AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, DISTRIBUTORS, AND DEALERS OF KES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO THIS WARRANTY, OR ADDITIONAL WARRANTIES ON BEHALF OF KES. ADDITIONAL STATEMENTS SUCH AS DEALER ADVERTISING OR PRESENTATIONS, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE WARRANTIES BY KES AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON.

10. Exclusive Remedies. You agree that your exclusive remedy against KES, its affiliates, contractors, suppliers, and agents for loss or damage caused by any defect or failure in the Software regardless of the form of action, whether in contract, tort, including negligence, strict liability or otherwise, shall be the return of the purchase price paid or replacement of the Software. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of the State of Oregon. Copyright and other proprietary matters will be governed by United States laws and international treaties. IN ANY CASE, KES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT OR OTHER SIMILAR DAMAGES ARISING FROM BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY EVEN IF KES OR ITS AGENT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

11. General Provisions. Neither this Agreement nor any part or portion hereof shall be assigned, sublicensed or otherwise transferred by you. Should any provision of this Agreement be held to be void, invalid, unenforceable or illegal by a court, the validity and enforceability of the other provisions shall not be affected thereby. If any provision is determined to be unenforceable, you agree to a modification of such provision to provide for enforcement of the provision's intent, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Failure of a party to enforce any provision of this Agreement shall not constitute or be construed as a waiver of such provision or of the right to enforce such provision. If you fail to comply with any terms of this Agreement, YOUR LICENSE IS AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATED.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT, AND UNDERSTAND THAT BY CONTINUING THE INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE, BY LOADING OR RUNNING THE SOFTWARE, OR BY PLACING OR COPYING THE SOFTWARE ONTO YOUR COMPUTER HARD DRIVE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT, EXCEPT FOR WRITTEN SEPARATE AGREEMENTS BETWEEN KES AND YOU, THIS AGREEMENT IS A COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT OF THE RIGHTS AND LIABILITIES OF THE PARTIES. THIS AGREEMENT SUPERSEDES ALL PRIOR ORAL AGREEMENTS, PROPOSALS OR UNDERSTANDINGS, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN KES AND YOU RELATING TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT.

Quoting the appropriate SINGLE sentence would have sufficed...

So technically one is violating the Eula with multi-machine installs.

It would be nice to see that changed to something that specifies only one machine at a time using the registered controller.

Well they use "or" in their sentence that says what dictates agreement.

Then they say "use" = "loading into ram, as well as" ... Hard drive

So it would be best to speak with legal to define "as well as"
Personally I think that means "and". And thus I interpret "use" as in ram "and" on hd.

So I migh think it could be on many hd but only in one ram at any time for the statement to remain true, Can KES provide any "legal" comment?

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. It is a simplification of terms to ask a more direct question of the Eula.

The following phrase would seem to say that multiple uses would require removing an install from the inactive machine and reinstalling on another active machine to stay within the bounds of the EULA. Past practice has not been as severe as that and multiple simultaneous installations have been allowed.

For purposes of this section, "use" means loading the Software into RAM, as well as installation on a hard disk or other storage device.

The paragraph restricting public displays of the product also seems to quash our prior practice of letting the kids play with the sim at our fly-ins.

Then there is what is written and what the company chooses to enforce.

Often EULA's are written to cover the broadest base of possible violations to the potential exclusion of legitimate uses or uses that even favor the company.

KE has publically stated here that they have no problem with a single owner installing the software on more than one of their OWN machines, if only one can be active at a time.

I also doubt that KE would come after me for showing off their software in a club meeting ( Public display ) to foster additional sales and interest, nor that we utilize Realflight in club training session to encourage people to purchase their own.

Still it would be so much better if EULA's encompassed such things... but of course the documents are written by attorneys who are not RC nor PC enthusiasts.

---

The American Airlines vs Flightsim.com resolution was a case where the company (AA) stuck to the letter of the law, then came up with a workaround for the benefit of all.

Quoting the appropriate SINGLE sentence would have sufficed...

So technically one is violating the Eula with multi-machine installs.

It would be nice to see that changed to something that specifies only one machine at a time using the registered controller.

"KES grants to you the limited right to use one (1) copy of the enclosed or foregoing game program (the "Software") on a single computer."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Yes, we fully agree with your reading of the EULA. There is also the spirit of the EULA, the interface acts as a device preventing the multiple uses of the software at the same time. I have the software installed on a desktop and also on my laptop. I cannot use both copies of the software at the same time. This is what we mean by the spirit of the license.

KE has allowed this in the past and I think they are enforcing their EULA agreement in a fair and reasonable manner. I do not expect anything to change. The thing that gets them going is using unlicensed software with code breaking hardware. A company cannot stay in business if their sales do not support the cost of the development. I don't think they expect me to buy two copies to use their software in this manner. I am but one person and one dongle device. Only one copy can be used at a time.

I will continue to show the software in public situations unless asked to do otherwise. I always try to give a fair and honest positive opinion of how it works. I know that I have made sales for the company.

I certainly do not speak for the company... and you should follow your own direction.

Last edited:
Back