Multiplayer connection issues

I just tried completely shutting off my firewall, still no luck. That's as far as I'm going to take opening up my computer to the world.

I rolled back to .048 and still no connection.

Rolling back to .036, however, and I'm right back on.

I didn't try .047 because I didn't want to go through another 200Mb download.

I'm sticking with .036 until they get this fixed. :/

Last edited:
So it isn't me!?!?

Oh man -- judging by this thread there is something going on that I can't fix locally (and I've tried everything I've read in the posts). And of course, this is the weekend my cousin (who just bought RF) comes over to try some local network flying.

To restate - I checked everything to do with the ports on the firewall -- no settings have changed and it worked ok last week. Restarted every device, etc..

I don't know if this is additional related info but not only could we not connect to any internet sessions (both got the "Directory server connection failed"...) but neither of our machines could see even a local network session either.

Lastly -- we also tried flying multimode which worked "sort of".. the controller would only allow changing aircraft, etc.. for one of the windows. It didn't matter if you slected the other controlled in the menu.

Garcon31 said:
the controller would only allow changing aircraft, etc.. for one of the windows.
I believe you can click on the other window to outline it to make changes to that window.

For those of you who are "jonesing" for MP
and for those of you that own G4.0 (sorry those of you who bought 4.5 are out of luck ...as this option is not available to you :( )
you can temporarily "down grade" back to 4.0
when this happened last weekend that's what I did .....
and there were a lot of people who had done the same thing!
so there are online sessions .................just not 4.5 ones
to "downgrade"
select
"additional options" on the launcher and choose
" registration\updates"
then choose
"update to specific version" and
choose the latest 4.0 version
it only takes less than a min. to go back to 4.0
and later on do the same thing to get back to 4.5...
.( or just choose "update to latest version" instead)
it takes a little longer to go back to 4.5 ( about 5-8 min. max)
( it's not the massive DL as the first time you did it so don't worry :D )

Last edited:
I have set up RF on 2 computers now. one with 4.5 for the weekdays and the other with 4.0 for the weekends! :D

An Explanation Please

Hopefully the Knife Edge folks will extend to all of us the courtesy of an explanation as to what's going on come Monday AM and post a message here.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
I believe you can click on the other window to outline it to make changes to that window.

Thank you -- I don't recall we tried that explicitly. Next time I will, though.

4.5 multiplayer problems

If you go back to 4.50.036 I think you will not have any problems connecting to the server. I tried all versions from .050 down and when I hit .036 it finally worked again. Hope this helps. :)

yak_54pilot said:
The server is down or something. I don't think it has anything to do with 050. 050 is undoubtedly the most stable version.

I dunno...I downgraded from 050 to 036 earlier today and was able to get back on. Prior to 050, I had 036 from a fresh install this morning and was able to connect.

TheHeliCrasher said:
If you go back to 4.50.036 I think you will not have any problems connecting to the server. I tried all versions from .050 down and when I hit .036 it finally worked again. Hope this helps. :)
Connecting to the list server for .036 is one thing ...
staying in a 036 session for more than two or three minutes is another
as i recall when we were beta testing it was VERY unstable and had tons of X-over
at least that's what I think I remember :confused:
weather or not a particular version can connect to the list server has nothing to do with that versions "stability"
I agree with yak 54 050 IS the most stable Version
in fact as i recall 036 let anyone join (port configuered or not).....and that was it's Biggest problem
how long were you able to stay in ?
and how many other people were there?
did you end up in the airport that you intended to join?
were there "missing" people?

Last edited:
theluthier said:
Zat mean you have purchased two copies? :confused:

Regards
Michael
With one controller, he can only use one at a time. No big deal. I remember when G3.5 was released, several people wanted a dual (3.0/3.5) installation on their computer. i think the admins may have posted a few tips, too. One thread

Last edited:
crazyquay said:
Hopefully the Knife Edge folks will extend to all of us the courtesy of an explanation as to what's going on come Monday AM and post a message here.

The server (the software) crashed which is a first and the crash re-launcher failed to restart it. I'm looking into why it wasn't able to start again but it is just very unfortunate timing that it crashed on Saturday (morning) when we are gone over the weekend.

It's up again now.

More explanation

Back