Multiplayer Connection Screen Shots

Well they could probably put it in the startup script. But you're probably right. Nobody reads old posts in the forums, anyway! :p

jeffpn said:
Oh great. If it's possible to bypass the port test in G5, we're going to end up with the same unstable sessions we had when G4.5 came out. :(

How so?

For people who haven't got ports 61234-61241 open bypassing the port test isn't going to mean they can join or host a session.

I don't think the instability of the G4.5 sessions has much to do with people not having the correct ports open. And even if they had not forwarded the correct ports and still managed to join or host a session they would of had to get through the G4.5 port test no?

Incidentally the mp_bypassMPPT command worked in G4.5 too.

The early G4.5 versions did not do a port test. People who did not have their ports forwarded could somtimes join a session anyway, but the proper connections were never established. The sessions would eventually crash. That was absolutely due to firewall issues on the part of the nonconfigured users. And not fun for those of us who were properly configured.

Tommp said:
Hi Jeff,

Sounds like the best idea is to buy a modem. I know the one I have is a relic anyway. What do you recommend?

Not sure if you are still interested in seeing an ipconfig / all, but I'm attaching it anyway.

Thanks for the help ... think we are getting close to flying in formation.

Tom

Those unused VPN Tunnels may be fouling up things for you.

They really should be deleted.

jeffpn said:
The early G4.5 versions did not do a port test. People who did not have their ports forwarded could somtimes join a session anyway, but the proper connections were never established. The sessions would eventually crash. That was absolutely due to firewall issues on the part of the nonconfigured users. And not fun for those of us who were properly configured.

Ah yes sorry I forgot about the earlier versions of G4.5. However even then I'm am pretty sure the multiplayer issues were not exclusively caused by people neglecting the port forwarding/firewall requirements. I, along with several others had the required ports open and everything setup correctly and sessions still crashed very frequently without anyone else joining. I can remember that a lot of people were trying to join and then immediately disconnected from the sessions and then within in a minute or so this would crash the session (presumably these were the ones who hadn't setup their firewalls and made certain the required ports were open.)
You also used to get sessions "crossing over" where you would join one session and end up in another and also "merged" sessions where people could see people from other sessions. I'd doubt that these issues were caused by people not conforming to the required firewall/network configurations.

Anyway this is going off topic somewhat.

I don't see the mp_bypassMPPT command being used by people as a "way out" of having to port forward. After all I suspect 95% of the people trying to connect to sessions without configuring their firewall/network settings correctly wouldn't know what the console is...

Yeah, there were a lot of problems but the ports not being open were a big problem. It didn't have to be a person that was misconfigured trying to join your session in order to cause the problems they just had to connect to the server.

js3862 said:
It didn't have to be a person that was misconfigured trying to join your session in order to cause the problems they just had to connect to the server.

I think not...seeing as the early versions of G4.5 were peer-to-peer (I think all versions of RealFlight use peer-to-peer, correct me if I'm wrong) there was no "central server", the only server involved was the session advertising server (aka "list server" or "directory server".) As far as I know in G3.x and G4.x it has always been the case that if anything happens to this server, all the sessions that are running at the time are not effected, except for the fact that they are not advertised on the server so people can't join (except on the versions where you can manually type in the hosts IP address if you know it.) If this is the case I fail to see how without actually trying to join the session people with non-conforming settings can crash the session?

Not quite:

The "Hosting" system is a "server", which co-ordinates communication between all of the peers. This is different than the KE server that lists active sessions.

A person initiating an attempt causes the host to send out packets to the connecting "peer" and also initiates updates from the other members to that same machine.

However it seems that if the new peer is not able to accept the packets and respond and acknowledge, things start to degrade to the point that the entire session crashes.

Since the primary cause of all of this is a misconfigured NAT setup ( no or incorrect port forwarding ), the check for proper configuration was added to the startup process.

Is there anything on this page that looks like it might be creating a problem for G5?

It did not create a problem for G4.5, just wondering if G5 might be getting screwed by something here?

Attachments

• dlink fw.jpg
    dlink fw.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 21
Greg.B said:
... I fail to see how without actually trying to join the session people with non-conforming settings can crash the session?

My point being that the problems weren't caused simply by the action of the person joining or attempting to join the session but rather were created by a cumulative communications break down between the host (aka server) and the non-hosting peers (aka clients). That break down occurring due to the restricted number of ports in use and the volume of traffic required to pass between them. Eventually, traffic was either dropped, corrupted or both and that's when you started to see errors in the client (aka software).

Could the issue have manifested itself when a client attempted to join, yes it could but, that failure wasn't caused by a fault in the joining process, neither was it necessarily the fault of the joining client other than for the possibility that it was the particular client that would be the source of additional traffic which caused the volume of traffic to saturate the session. The base ports, which the improperly configured client would force the host to communicate on, would become saturated, fail to be able to communicate with clients or output corrupted data and the session would fail.

Kmot said:
Is there anything on this page that looks like it might be creating a problem for G5?

It did not create a problem for G4.5, just wondering if G5 might be getting screwed by something here?

Did you connect your computer directly to your modem?

I did. But I could not get on the internet. It seems that the network has been set up so that if the router is not connected, then nothing is connected. It was set up a long time ago, and I sort of recall it was a real chore for me to do. And not only that, but my wife depends on her laptop and internet access and if I fumble up the whole thing because I do not really have a clue what all this computer stuff does and requires, then we are in deep doo doo.

It's just really absurd to me that this software does not work. In 16 years of being a typical PC user who "plug and plays" I have never had to jump through so many hoops trying to get something to work. :rolleyes:

Under normal circumstances, I would have taken this disc back to the store and told them "this crap doesn't work!". :p

Ok, I'll help you get setup and working but, I'll need you to do a few things before we get started. PM me with your contact information and if you're available later this evening I can help you tonight or whatever day we can work out. I've been in the computer industry for a long time so, I'm pretty sure I can get you working. I'm just sorry you've had to hop through all the hoops you've been through.

Let me know if tonight works for you or if not tonight what other evening.

Greg.B said:
Kmot,

Another long shot but maybe worth trying:

Enter "mp_bypassMPPT" into the console and try to join a session. This bypasses the port test. It might just be that you can connect to a session without passing the port test since you seem to have everything setup correctly, you never know...
Bingo! It worked! :D

js3862: re the 3 custom airplanes left, that was a typo, I stuck a "3" on the end of a word. In actuality, I had well over 100 custom planes in the folder that would no longer show up in the G4.5 sim.

No matter, as it has all been deleted as of last night and I am now on a project to download and re-install all the custom aircraft, AV's, CS's, and airports.

Thanks for your offer of help. :)

If I do the console command, I can get into G5 multiplayer. I just finished playing combat in two different sessions.

But by using the bypass, I do not get a window showing the various people in the game, like I used to get with G4.5 and I presume that is because I am in bypass mode.

If I restart G5, and don't use the bypass command, I still cannot get into G5 multiplayer.

For yuks try this to see if you get any change.

Set your router to use ports 61234 through 61250, and again 61300 through 61316 for G5.

Yeah I KNOW this is more than what KE is saying, but it was the setting that we used to work for G4.5 and is working for me.

Also turn off Windows Firewall and uninstall any other software firewall that you may have on your computer.

Note: that I've seen second party firewall software that is too agressive, royally screw things up. Even uninstalling the software does not undo the port blocking.

The only firewall that I have, that I am aware of, is Windows firewall. And I have tried it when it was turned off.

I have AVG free anti-virus and I have looked for a firewall and cannot find any in AVG.

My router has a Firewall setting page and I have posted a picture of what it looks like and no one has said anything about it.

The ports you describe is what I had set for G4.5, refer to earlier photos on this thread. With those ports specified, G5 would not allow MP. With the ports set as specified for G5, I could still get into G4.5 But I will try it again....

When I was in bypass mode, nothing crashed and no one got booted. Perhaps that is because my ports are set correctly.

When I have a full day to screw around with the router disconnect and not affect my wife, I will see what happens when I am in direct modem mode.

Back