Multiplayer FPS?

Chris McVey

I need to track down some complaints about Multiplayer FPS while in game play.

The general complaint is that when you enter a game play session (Combat/Deadringer) with multiple other aircraft, when your aircraft is close to another the FPS drop to a unusable amount.

If you have seen this issue please let me know. Also make sure you provide which version you are running.

Thanks Chris McVey

I havent tried any of the events but my aircraft is usually laggy while ghosted, once unghosted it suddenly becomes smooth

One thing we do quite a lot in MP is fly obstacle courses very close to each other. As soon as more than one plane is in the view things start going jerky. Happens on all versions and we are now on 5.50.5015.

Regards
Michael

slow framerate

I have a system with quad core processer and Radeon HD 4890 graphics card with 1 gig memory on the card, 4 gig DDR 3 memory on the system, and its pretty fast. Most of the time when I enter Multi player combat I start with a frame rate of over 100 but as I approach another airplane my frame rate drops to 2.5. Many times if there are several pilots in the room my frame rate never gets above 20, generally staying at about 3 or 4 and it Drives me nuts as its impossiable to fly at such a low framerate. I have tried updating all drivers, a different graphics card, newer faster router (not wireless), and so on. Microsoft rates computers on a 1 to 7.9 scale and my processer and memory rate 7.1 and my graphics card rates 7.6, so I am very frustrated and confused as to why the frame rate drops so much.

1peezal said:
I have a system with quad core processer and Radeon HD 4890 graphics card with 1 gig memory on the card, 4 gig DDR 3 memory on the system, and its pretty fast. Most of the time when I enter Multi player combat I start with a frame rate of over 100 but as I approach another airplane my frame rate drops to 2.5. Many times if there are several pilots in the room my frame rate never gets above 20, generally staying at about 3 or 4 and it Drives me nuts as its impossiable to fly at such a low framerate. I have tried updating all drivers, a different graphics card, newer faster router (not wireless), and so on. Microsoft rates computers on a 1 to 7.9 scale and my processer and memory rate 7.1 and my graphics card rates 7.6, so I am very frustrated and confused as to why the frame rate drops so much.

I have sort of the same issues in multiplayer, My friends and I have modded out planes that we do race courses with, sometimes we will start playing around and shoot eachother while flying, whenever the guns fire My FPS drop conciderably, I'll test out if the FPS drop happens in Combat later since I can't get to my PC right now. My system specs are:

Core i7 930 @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 (3x2GB) 1600MHz (CL 7-8-7-20-1T)
GTX 480 (Overclocked) **I'm Currentaly testing a HD5970 so I won't have results with the 480 till sometime monday**
300GB VeliciRaptor Hard Drive
Windows 7 Professional x64

Dr.Moo! said:
whenever the guns fire My FPS drop considerably, I'll test out if the FPS drop happens in Combat later
I've had that happen in many combat sims playing on line or even against A.I. my guess is there are to many individual objects(Bullets) to track and the processor(s) can't keep up
Even in 4.5 if you let the poops fly It'll drop fps AND get choppy

but it sounds to me like Chris is describing an fps loss just by being in close proximity to someone before you or they even fire............whole different issue

g5.50.014 now downgraded from .015.

Originally 5.50.014 was ok, but it seemed like when I went to .015 that the frames dropped dramatically. I had average frames of probably 60fps and now frames are bouncing between 45 at the top end and 8 at the low end and has dipped down to 3 fps. If I had to guess the average it would be probably 15fps. Overall very poor unless flying away from everyone else. It doesn't matter if it's one plane or eight, the frame rate problem is the same.

So I have a test for the people who are seeing this issue to please perform. This will help me further explore this issue others are seeing.

Next time you are in a session that you know has low FPS when other aircraft are in view, use the View menu to turn off particles and see if your FPS return to what they would normally be. If your FPS return then turn particles back on to see if this causes the FPS drop while others are on screen.

Report your findings here please.

Thanks Chris McVey

Chris McVey said:
So I have a test for the people who are seeing this issue to please perform. This will help me further explore this issue others are seeing.

Next time you are in a session that you know has low FPS when other aircraft are in view, use the View menu to turn off particles and see if your FPS return to what they would normally be. If your FPS return then turn particles back on to see if this causes the FPS drop while others are on screen.

Report your findings here please.

Thanks Chris McVey

I can tell you that this occurs even when I have particles off in my configuration. One of the first things I tried was going into the graphics menu and turning off particles and turning off or to low all other graphics settings other than water since I rarely fly water APs.

Graphics card is an Nvidia 9800 GTX+ with 1 GB of video memory. I get great FPS in G4.5 and have no issues with framing outside of RF. I have also tried turning off anti-aliasing, turning on anti-aliasing, and modified several other video card settings trying to test if there was a particular setting that would be a magic bullet to resolve the problem. Turning off AA seemed to work, and I had decent frame rates for a while, but then they dropped again so the boost that I saw could have been completely coincidental. So far, nothing I've tried has made a substantive difference.

Some observations:

1. Frames seem to increase if while flying in one of the pilot views (cockpit, tail, nose) you change your perspective to not have other pilots in view.

2. At the end of a MP game frame rates increase significantly, going from the 10-20 range to upwards of 60-90.

3. Anecdotally, frame rates seem to be affected by people joining a session. However, when those same people leave frame rates do not necessarily increase and most often do not.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
If anyone gets a chance please come join my session being hosted now at 12:23 Westcoast. I will have it up for several hours.

Thanks Chris Mcvey

I was in for a while and did notice a couple of pauses. Looked like they occurred as people joined.

Doug

I have a open session just for flying. I have gotten the information I needed from the first session I hosted. I am still looking for some stuff. Feel free to join if possible.

Thanks Chris McVey

If you can keep it open for a bit longer I'll join in. It's 7:00 ET now, I'll be able to join in about 20 minutes or so.

I was in the Flight school combat session and didn`t notice any significant fps drop.
The lowest might have been in the forties but flyable without problems.

Back