Music in G3

Breakstuff5050

Whatever happened to the music in g3? I thought that, that was one of the big things that made g2 stand out. Plus you could edit the playlist to play your own music, that would be cool to have again. Because when i work my freestyle i have to use windows media player which takes away tons of performance. Anything like this expected in some upcoming updates?

Breakstuff5050 said:
Whatever happened to the music in g3? I thought that, that was one of the big things that made g2 stand out. Plus you could edit the playlist to play your own music, that would be cool to have again. Because when i work my freestyle i have to use windows media player which takes away tons of performance. Anything like this expected in some upcoming updates?

It was thrilling when the music started up in G2. There are other threads about the lack of music in G3, have you searched for them?

We do not have plans to add background music support to G3. I can appreciate the fact that you miss it, but frankly there are so many free players available that do it better, we didn't see the point. In G2, you could enable/disable individual songs from a list, but that was awkward (especially if you had a lot of songs), and that was all the control you had--no pause, FF/RW, or skip-to-the-next song (or previous song) functionality.

To really do it right, we would want to add all of those things, and probably more, at which point you're probably also talking about adding a whole new gadget to the sim. That kind of new feature would require lot of time and effort. Rather than turn RealFlight into a fancy jukebox, we looked around at the existing music players available elsewhere and decided our users would be better served by us focusing our efforts on the other aspects of the sim--features which aren't readily available elsewhere.

That's not to say it won't ever happen. We're still open to it if enough people feel strongly about it. I'm just trying to show a little of what went into the decision we made, and why--based on the feedback we've received so far--it's unlikely we will add this feature.

Your point about performance is well taken. However, I would expect other music player apps to perform much better and demand fewer resources than Windows Media Player. I personally use the free version of Winamp. Now, I run an older version (2.80) instead of the latest available (5), so I can't speak for the current version, but on my system Winamp takes 0% of the CPU most of the time it's running, and occasionally spikes very briefly to 2%. This has no discernible effect on G3's performance. Another option might be to disable the visualizations in Windows Media Player. I haven't experimented much with their player or even paid attention to its performance, so I'm afraid I can't offer much help there.

FWIW, the first thing I did with my G2 was turn off the "music". Totally unnecessary IMHO. Makes it more like a video game then a sim.

Who brings a portable CD radio to the flight line with them? :rolleyes:

Kmot said:
FWIW, the first thing I did with my G2 was turn off the "music". Totally unnecessary IMHO. Makes it more like a video game then a sim.

Who brings a portable CD radio to the flight line with them? :rolleyes:

Im not trying to be smart in any fashion, im dead serious when I say that i have taken a CD player to the field numerous times to work on a freestyle routine.

Ryan, i understand and respect yalls decision on not adding this feature, but i vote for having it, even if it is as basic as g2, because when i try using windows player it skips alot and like i said before it slows g3 down, i might look into winamp when i get to the point im sick of using windows media player.

Hmm... well how's about just placing your CD player on top of your computer desk and play it directly through that?

I also vote in favour of having a VERY SIMPLE MP3 decoding engine for just running through a playlist in sequential or random order. When flying, I think, most people won't bother to tinker with the music. They simply want to have some background music, preferably what they like. The only feature I'd like to see is the ability to point the player to other folders, or support for winamp playlists which do that.
Let me emphasize that I also understand the choice to concentrate on the more requested features, and in that respect, and that respect only, I cast my vote for the music.

Oh Man.. I've never had the pleasure of using G2, as I went from classic delux to G3. Music would be awesome. Just a simple MP3 decoder / .wave pointing to a folder of my choice would suffice. Windows Media Player demands to much resources. Integrated is better...

Patrick

I always have winamp running in the background. Get the tunes, and still get the sweetest music of all, the sound of a plane doing a low and fast down the runway. I haven't noticed any perfromance drop with winamp playing, but maybe I am not pushing the envelope with the program.

I vote for it as well. And it would be really sweet if the reset button on the Interlink controller reset the track at the same time!

Serious JuJu

Nothing like Sammy Hagar's "Serious JuJu" playing through my 1000 watt surround system, while flying some fast jets, or big 3D aerobats on the Panasonic 47-inch HDTV with G3 sound effects mixed-in.

Serious JuJu...or so say the neighbors. :D

Charles

Last edited:
I use windows Media Player in the background. I do have the recouses for it though.

Personally........I prefer Sammy Hagars "Three Lock Box" playing in the background. :D

Back