My first EA

helohero

I'm trying to make a Bf-108 this is as far as I have made it. Lots of fun to be had!!!
If everything is rite it should be about 11x9x3ish.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Bf108B-1.JPG
    Bf108B-1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I had some stuff going on. Not lots of progress but progress none the less.

Attachments

• bf108.jpg
    bf108.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 23
  • bf 108 2.jpg
    bf 108 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Could have made 3 EA's according to the poly count, but i have help...
Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• bf108 3.jpg
    bf108 3.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Got a chance to sneak off and do a little more last night. It will need some cleanup, but its not going too bad.

Attachments

• 108 canopy.jpg
    108 canopy.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My immediate advice is to avoid the mesh smooth modifier like the plague. To be in absolute control over smoothing is use a sufficient number of sides from the beginning and apply smoothing groups at the poly sub-object level. It smoothes out surfaces without increasing polys. Smoothing groups detail how the surface is visually interpreted rather than multiplying faces to increase the actual "physical" smoothness of the object.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on my explaination, but I strictly smooth out my models this way now and doing so does not increase my poly counts. There are times when the mesh smooth modifier serves it's purpose, but use it wisely. It takes time to figure this stuff out.

Attachments

• Surface smoothing.jpg
    Surface smoothing.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Matt you are absolutely correct. I have been instructed to stay away from this. I was using it in the photos to clean it up a bit as I have not taken the time to learn your technique yet. This is totally on me. I am learning all of this as I go and I am spending more time on basic shaping than the poly count. Hopefully when it is all said and done it will be a workable EA.
Thanks for the input. It is appreciated as well as needed.

Last edited:
Also, make sure that you get a test model into RF early on in the process as your model can look freaking fantastic in the 3DS Max rendering, but then look like....well, my B-1B Lancer in my last thread update. LOL. It's is hideous! I think I know how to correct the issue after verifying several other steps.

One thing that can make a model look really messed up outside of the modeling program and in RF, is when you get twisted polys. If you have a perfectly flat rectangle then twist two of the corners so that the rectangle is now 3D you'll notice the polygon does some funky stuff when viewed from other angles. Sometimes a dead giveaway to a rendering problem is shown in the perspective view at different angles. Edge lines will disappear into a polygon while rotating around the view. You can't see this issue in the 3 views quite often, but the perspective is real useful for finding this.

This is how I find uneven surfaces most of the time if I have a rendering problem.

I have been saving this for a bit, but since you brought it up here is a pic or two of a very early version in the sim. Dr. Moo has been a big help in getting this into RF for me as I know nothing about converting the file and setting physics. I cannot thank him enough. This project is taking a while but eventually (hopefully) it will be ready for the masses.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1282738634.jpg
    ScreenShot1282738634.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 15
  • ScreenShot1282738525.jpg
    ScreenShot1282738525.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
One trick I use to find trouble spot is to use a flat (ie no gloss) pink color. It brings out every flaw.

willsonman said:
One trick I use to find trouble spot is to use a flat (ie no gloss) pink color. It brings out every flaw.

I'm with you on that. I usually do a bluish gray alternating with flat and gloss to see my mistakes

I have not quit yet. Went to the GP in Indy over the weekend!!! Got the canopy cleaned up.(still need to round off the rear window and maybe detail inside)The flaps have been cut. I still need to do the LG, Get rid of some dents and clean some stuff up a bit. This has been an experience to say the least.

Attachments

• 108 flaps.jpg
    108 flaps.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 10
  • flaps2.jpg
    flaps2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Bf 108 D-EBFW.jpg
    Bf 108 D-EBFW.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back