Need area for item downloads

Oldman62

My thoughts on Real Flite 8:
First off I would like to say it is a good learning tool for someone just starting out into R/C aircraft flying.
It is a good learning tool for intermittent flier (beyond a trainer) that wants to learn maneuvers either be pattern or 3d flying. Will give you a idea of what to expect if you make the wrong control and don't have to rebuild or buy a new model.
For the experienced flier it's OK to hone your flying skills and a little trimming experiences.
Now for the bad:
I have flown the Real Flite 8 with different models and I have to say that your limited to what you can do with a aircraft. Yeah! You can spend $2000 for Knife edge software, from their I understand you can do any adjustments, color, or whatever you want to do with a model aircraft. But being on a limited budget and a spoiler you can use Knife edge software for a limited time. Time that will take most to understand how to use the program.
I'm not saying Real Flite is a bad investment. But it would be nice to have a down load page to where you could down load a particular engine or motor, radio to be used, and wither going to use a gyro or other items to use as a safety factor.
I know Real Flite has come a long ways, but it lacks add - on's for the more experienced flier's.
Most of us old timers remember K&B, Merco, Fox engines and most of us still fly what we have. It would be nice to take a trainerand be able to use a Fox engine instead of the OS engine. OS engines are among the best if not the best engines available, but a average modeler can only afford what he can afford. Fox made some really good engines in the day and let the modeler build without worries of the expense of his or her hobby.
Just my thought's!

Have you seen the aircraft editor? It's pretty much everything that you want. You can adjust everything from weight of parts and items, to channel setup and servo speed. You can select different airfoils and add or change motors. If you don't see the motor you want, add one if you have the specifications.

The editor is what sets RealFlight above all other simulators. The ability to tweak a model to the real world aircraft really isn't found anywhere else.

Thank you for your reply.
I have to agree RealFlite is above all other simulators. I didn't mean to down grade RealFlite if this is the way my post is being read. (Sorry! KnifeEdge).
I have trimmed several aircraft to fly to my liking, and even change the motor from the list that is given. I really didn't know you could add your own engine to the list. Information on doing this would be helpful.
Guess I just need to go read more into the manual.
Thanks again!

Guess I must be dumb! I re-read the RealFlite manual, and searched the aircraft editor and find no place where you can add your own motor (engine) of choice. I see where their is displacement for these but they are darken out and can't be changed. Maybe it's not a big deal, but why use a OS .40 FS on a .25 size aircraft? All it will do is go stright up. Change the down thrust and move the weight around still doesn't make the aircraft fly any better. It's just a flying bomb waiting to hit the ground to fly into many scrap parts.
Yeah I know it's just a Sim. Fly the real R/C aircraft being over powered sooner or later you be picking up sticks. Besides it's a waste of fuel, at $35+ a gal.
Never mind! I been messing around with RealFlite a couple weeks now and maybe it's time to take a break and go flying.

You need to use Manage User Files and copy one. Then you can modify it to your liking. With things like blades you can even remake the artwork, color, etc. Very easy.

Simply go to the menu to where you would select a motor. Click on the copy button in the lower left corner. from the you can name your motor whatever you want. once you do that you can select that motor in the list. the Parameters for that motor can be edited to whatever the spec's are for that motor and this includes the Torque curve for that motor. The torque curve is what dictates how much power this motor has and its ability to spin a propeller. You can view this on any motor but the copy you created will allow you to edit this curve.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 17
I have brought up this menu several times, but I only get the left side that list the motor names. Don't get the parameters for the motors. I have right clicked, left clicked on several motors and nothing. I have copied a motor and renamed it and still can't change the parameters.
From what you guys are telling me and from reading the fourms I'm missing either on how to open stuff on RealFlite or maybe not complete install of RealFlite. I guess I could be stupid but I don't think that could be it as I been doing computer games and such for 20+ years, but then again just over looking something. Thanks again guys for your input.

Click on the value under Parameter in the menu picture shown above. You can then edit each one. If you are using Manage User Files to copy then go into the editor on the plane to bring up the window with the parameters to edit.

Last edited:
Want to Thank BrokeDad & csgill75 for your help. I finely found the area to edit parameters for motors. I may of found it sooner or later but with you guys help I found what you guys were trying to show me. I can now really say RealFlite can do what it says and the best aircraft sim. on the market. If anyone is having problems with RealFlite do a post ask for help here on Knife Edge, most problems can be fixed with the help of people on the forums. Most problems are really just things we over look and it may take someone else to point something out to us.
Again Thanks Guys, been very helpful!

Back