New Computer - a few questions

nuclear said:
will this Dell DeskTop work with the G4 Simulator?

I know I have to upgrade the Graphics Card on this system, but I would like to know first hand if out of the box, this Dell set up Desktop will work?

thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878798&type=product&id=1210379087706
I'd rather get a custom built PC with the stuff YOU want. It just makes life easier... So you'll know it WILL work.

As for that PC....

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 with 256MB dedicated video memory; support for 7.1-channel audio

James1701 said:
Even if you add another 120.00 for Vista Home Prem., you cant come close to a setup like that on prebuilt at that price range. You could also add another 50.00 and make it a Q6600 quad core machine, but that keeps getting it beyond budget.

I'm a big advocate of home-building PCs (been doing it since '98) but you do have to budget for the OS and peripherals regardless.

For those not wanting to learn how or take the time to homebrew their computer it's actually not too bad what you can get from Dell or even Costco, depending of course on which deal-of-the-day is out there. As an example, just last month my mother purchased a Gateway *shudders* from Costco and it's a nice PC save for the integrated graphics (64bit Vista home premium, 4gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 2.5Ghz C2D, etc). It also came with a very impressive quality 22" LCD; another rather crucial item not mentioned in the aforementioned ingredient list.

She payed a little under a thousand bucks for that computer.

So throw in an aftermarket GPU for $150, then re-compare the costs of your machine versus one that any person can go purchase and install one upgraded component, then you're looking at similar costs, though the specs on your recommended build are still faster on the CPU front by a bit, they're very close otherwise.

Carl

nuclear said:
will this Dell DeskTop work with the G4 Simulator?

I know I have to upgrade the Graphics Card on this system, but I would like to know first hand if out of the box, this Dell set up Desktop will work?

thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878798&type=product&id=1210379087706

Probably, yes although with a slim tower like that you may encounter problems installing a large aftermarket video card. Additionally, the power supply that comes with it might not be up to the task of handling a decently powerful video card.

Definitely worth looking into but check those two issues out before proceeding.

Carl

You can get a free download of belarc advisor at www.belarc.com. It can tell
you all of your computers specifications (eg. processeor, video card, etc.)

(\__/)................................................. . ............
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Yeah, I agree with Haole.

Stop looking at big box store computers. Go to a place that custom builds PC's, so you can put the right hardware in there. You want something configurable and upgradable, not the throw-away stuff that you get from HP or Gateway.

Don't get me wrong: I use HP's, Dells, and Gateways on a daily basis. But I use them in a business environment. I wouldn't even consider buying one of those as my primary rig at home, since I want the flexibility of being able to upgrade whatever I want, whenever I want.

Consider this: I have 8 USB ports in use. I have 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives, a firewire card, and a PCMCIA/Cardbus reader. I've run through 4 motherboards, 6 video cards, more optical drives than I can count (I replace them once a year or so; the dust just kills em), and several sound cards. I would never have been able to do that with a "name brand" PC, but since I custom-built mine in an Antec Lanboy case, I can upgrade as I see fit.

Speaking of which, I think the Lanboy case is just about the best computer case ever made. It's aluminum, so it's light. It's got 2 huge fans, both of which feature rubber mounts, so they're quiet. It's also got snap-in hard drive trays with rubber grommets, also reducing the noise. It even comes wth a carry strap, so it's easy to take with me. It really is a great case for LAN parties or just to have if you find yourself moving it around frequently.

first things first. Who cares if you are not a gamer? You don't need to be one to want to get G4. G4 isn't a game. It is a sim witch unlike games, helps you! :eek:

Griffindor said:
first things first. Who cares if you are not a gamer? You don't need to be one to want to get G4. G4 isn't a game. It is a sim witch unlike games, helps you! :eek:

G4 is very much a game as far as your computer is concerned. They both require the same, powerful components to work smoothly *or at all*.

Carl

Hey, please forgive me for being a cross-posting spam monkey, but you might wanna check out my post from a day or two ago about scoring decent hardware for cheap at internet auction sites. This approach has served me very well, and done so consistently, over the last several years, and has kept me up and flying for maybe half the cost, at most, of the best Dell coupon deal, Christmas sale, etc. Just an FYI, and no I don't work for eBay, Dell, this or that liquidator, the federal government, or Haagen Dazs, and no I've got nothing for sale. Just sharing the good news in case I'm not the only cheapskate who wants to fly toy planes on the computer.

I would advise building one instead of getting one off the shelf. As stated before, you will be able to upgrade which ever part you see fit as the industry progresses or as your need change. I would suggest getting the best MB you can afford to start with because that will be your base for upgrades in the future. You can build a pretty kick butt machine for under $1,000. Also, don't settle for a lower end part because it's not in your budget. Do the right thing the first time around and save a bit, then get what you want so you don't have to upgrade for a while.

Back