NEW from Bell V-280

flexible

Called the V-280, the Bell concept features a V-tail, a large cell carbon core wing and a composite fuselage. Unlike the older V-22 design, the engines do not move, only the rotor-system tilts, Bell says. Coupled with a fly-by-wire system, the aircraft should have excellent high and low-speed handling qualities, the company says.

The V-280 will be able to cruise efficiently at 280kt carrying 11 passengers comfortably with a mission radius of over 250nm (463km).

More on this story:
HELI-EXPO: Bell unveils power and avionics upgrade for 412EP (07/03/13)

HELI-EXPO: Bell Helicopter selects Honeywell for 525 Relentless APU, environmental controls (06/03/13)

HELI-EXPO: 1950s-era Bell Model 47 helicopter to return to production (06/03/13)

BAE’s APKWS rockets integrated on Bell’s new Model 407GT (05/03/13)

Industry Resources related to this article

MTS Family of SensorsLearn how these sensor solutions provide superior detecting, ranging & trackingLearn More

Helicopter Service CompanyHSC will purchase material for Rolls-Royce M250 engines & other related parts directly from Aviall.Learn More

Delta TechOpsPut the power behind the world's largest fleet to work for you with MRO services from Delta TechOps.Learn More

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 26
So, they're trying to build a tiltroter off of the H-60 design? The V-22 can do everything that this V-280 can. It can even fly faster.
I don't understand the concept of fixing something that's not broken, and ruining it in the
process.

I think that keeping the turbines in the same horizontal orientation will probably improve the reliability.

Interesting concept to just swivel the rotors... oh that old V tail. I don't see that design making it to the street. I eagerly await the introduction of civilian tilt rotor travel.

Back