New guy and Just got Real Flight G4...

Blue Thunder

Greetings all, My name is Jeff and as the title says - I'm a New guy and Just got Real Flight G4. I tried this at my local hobby shop and I fell in love with it. The owner said that if G3 in demo mode worked on my computer, then G4 should too. Well guess what? He was WRONG. Everything installed ok but when I tried to run the program i get this message - Error Creating Effect ShadowReceiveDirectionalWater then it says an unexpected has occurred. Would you like to send a error report to Knife Edge Software?

So my question is this, if it worked so good on G3 demo that I downloaded, why isn't G4 working? My system falls right between the Minimal and Optimal Support My computer's info is as follows:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller with 96.00 MB Adapter RAM

Seems to me that it should work. Do I need to get a better graphics card or something?

All feedback Most welcome
Thanks and its great to be a part of your "club or board"
:)
Jeff

PS - Reason I chose this software it made more sense to learn to fly this way than spending big $$ on helicopters and parts and planes and wreck them in trying to learn to fly them. :cool:

Update your G4 thru the launcher. It may fix your graphics problem. Then reset to defaults, and launch RF.

But like Z says, a new graphics card will help. You won't get good frame rates or even shadows on your current card.

If you look around a bit, you'll realize why the graphics card is the problem. It's a DX9 rendering compatibility issue with cheap onboard chipsets.
-Eric

It may run a bit smoother with 2 Gig of RAM, but what you have is okay. Just get a new graphics card to start. You need to know what kind of slot you have, agp or pci-e. Then disable your onboard graphics, and plug the monitor into the new card.

That looks like and AGP system, if you even have an agp slot. Might be just onboard. If you do have an AGP slot go get a 7900GT AGP. I have one it it chews the sim up like its nothing, I have it set on highest rez, and max details and never dip below 50fps.

Back