New guy to in importing.

-Rick-

I have been using Real Flight 7.5 for a long time but have never imported any planes. Now I have been bitten by the EDF jet craze and have been looking for an EDF to use with Real Flight 7.5, I would like to find a FMS Viper V2 or a Freewing Avanti V2 but would take any EDF in that class of EDF jets. I have done a search but can not find anything close. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to learn how to fly and land these things!

Doesn't seem to be anything directly matching your models, and I'm not qualified to tell whether some other EDF listed is "close". There are many EDF's, colorschemes, and variants though.
Are you looking for specific "Try this plane" suggestions, or a more general "how to" in searching and installing planes?

Yes, try this plane would be nice. I could use a "how to" on installing planes as well. I did get one plane installed but none of my controls are working with it. I am not sure which file type I need to install a plane, believe it is AV? I take it that I can only install planes from the Real Flight 7.5 directory?

I suspect that a lot of newer planes won't work with 7.5. AS3X isn't supported in versions earlier than RF8.

To bad, I never use AS3X.

I am a 65 year old pilot, many years of flying. Mostly scale and 3D planes. This is the first I'm going to try EDF jets, heard they fly different which is why I would like to fly some on Real Flight first.

Last edited:
The swap pages can be notoriously hard to search. Try short generic parts of a possible description, like EDF, Viper or Avanti. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs before finding your prince.

The 3 types are:
EA - Entire Aircraft. Takes the most time and skill to make. Made from scratch by the contributor.
CS - Color scheme. A repaint of an existing either stock RF plane, or of an EA. Pretty easy to do, and there are bazzillions of them.
AV - Airplane Variants. Resized planes and/or changed flight physics. May include a new color scheme. Requires a base stock or EA plane. Some use what may be a very different starting plane, and then heavily changed to fly like the one they are named after, even if they don't quite look like them. Some are just tweaked to fly the way the person making them thinks they should fly. Results vary from fantastic duplicates, to really poor....

CS's and AV's will indicate what their base plane is, which has to be already installed first. If it was a stock RF plane, your version needs to have it. If based on an EA, the link shown will take you to that download.

Most versions of RF included almost all planes from earlier versions. They do not have planes from add-on or expansion packs that were sold in the past, however. Evolution does have almost everything, unless there were legal problems getting permission to continue offering it.

The version of RF the plane was made for may not matter at all. I just loaded an Evolution EA into RF8, and it works just like it does in Evolution.
Models made for early versions may not be as "pretty" or may not fly well due to changes in the physics engine over the decades, but can be adjusted to fly better if needed. I'm using a RF G3 plane in Evolution, just because.

For all the types, an "rfx" or "g3x" file will be downloaded, usually to your "Downloads" folder.
In RF, go to "Simulation", then "Import", then "Real Flight Archive".
Navigate to your downloads folder, select it and install.
At the bottom of the screen will be a message about it being imported (or not). Some messages may be due to minor things missing/failing, and it will still generate a model, although perhaps not quite right. If it fails completely here, and can't be found in the custom aircraft list, move on and try another plane.
Go to your aircraft listing, and find it as a "Custom Aircraft"
The first time, it will pause, saying it is generating a "DDS file". Usually there is no issue, and the plane appears on the runway. Fly it and see if it suits you.
There may be messages if something isn't right. Some errors can be ignored, although the plane that appears may not look quite right, but still fly. Others may make it fail to load at all. In which case, move on and try a different plane.

Thank you Flapper for taking the time to type this out to help me! I will use your information to try to find something that will allow me to try EDF's. Very much thank you!!

Hi im new here

I am reading this with great interest and your explanation makes more sense now. I got RF9.5 yesterday its taken me 2 days to install due to cd stopping at 80% then KE errors then ADJ_1 corrupt etc.etc. anyway I finally got it installed and went looking for F3a models of which I found a few from other versions of RF. Some like you say fly terribly but most I have found I cannot import as I get a message saying Motor is being used ? what does this mean and how do I get around it.I only get an ok option. Do I have to change or rename the motors in the models I have that do work so I can import the new? There is not a large selection of F3a models to choose from as it is without having the error on 50% of the ones left.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers Wayne

Hi im new here

I am reading this with great interest and your explanation makes more sense now. I got RF9.5 yesterday its taken me 2 days to install due to cd stopping at 80% then KE errors then ADJ_1 corrupt etc.etc. anyway I finally got it installed and went looking for F3a models of which I found a few from other versions of RF. Some like you say fly terribly but most I have found I cannot import as I get a message saying Motor is being used ? what does this mean and how do I get around it.I only get an ok option. Do I have to change or rename the motors in the models I have that do work so I can import the new? There is not a large selection of F3a models to choose from as it is without having the error on 50% of the ones left.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers Wayne
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/fms-super-viper_ea.24874/ , i found this one on the swaps and this one

Usually when you get an error that something is "in use" when you try to import a new plane it's because the plane that is currently in use is using one of the resources the plane you're trying to import is wanting to install. To get around that always load a "built-in" plane before you try to import a new plane. When someone designs a new plane they can create a custom motor profile, and custom motor sound profile. And if either is being used by the plane that's currently loaded you will get that "in use" error.

And most of the time when you import a plane and get the warning about there already being a resource installed, do you want to overwrite it, you can say "no" and use the one that's already installed. On occasion there are two different versions but "generally" it's the same part but has already been installed.

whats the problem by taking a other model based on a existing plane with different physics and colore sceam and the pysiks will change but it stays on the old colore sceam ? have anyone an answer ?
thanx and greatings from Austria/Europe

Back