New Here, Looking For A Certain Model

Matt Booth

Hello all,

I'm new here to the world of real flight and I must say the community for this simulator seems very active unlike other simulators I have used. I'm wondering if anyone could help me in finding a Trex 550e DFC as this is the main model I fly. I like the idea with real flight that any model can be made and I'm hoping that I can some how figure out how to do this and help others with the model finding needs

Thanks in advance

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I'm looking for a 550e DFC, the 550 that's there's looks good, I just like the idea of flying a model that looks like the one I fly for real. It's just an aspect I've always gone for. If there is anyway of me making a canopy design to look like the DFC one I would, but I'm new here and have no idea how to do this. Plus the head is a lot lower with it being DFC, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

There isn't a 550 DFC available but you have a couple options.

Fly the 550 Flybarless model. You can adjust the physics to match the 550 DFC but it won't look like it.

Fly the T-rex 500 DFC and enlarge the model slightly to match the size. This will require all weights and power settings to be raised slightly.

Fly the T-Rex 600 DFC and shrink it down to the correct weight and size. Same with the power settings.

You could make your own model.

You can wait until someone makes a 550 version. This may or may not ever happen as we have some very talented helicopter creator's but only a few of them and they have to want to do it.

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look the options you have suggested. I will have a look at how to make this model, probably take me forever to figure out but will have a look. Hopefully one of the more experienced modellers may see this post and think about doing it. But thanks for your advice.

Thanks for your reply, I'm looking for a 550e DFC, the 550 that's there's looks good, I just like the idea of flying a model that looks like the one I fly for real. It's just an aspect I've always gone for. If there is anyway of me making a canopy design to look like the DFC one I would, but I'm new here and have no idea how to do this. Plus the head is a lot lower with it being DFC, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

The Fly-bar-less 550 is pretty close.

Editing the canopy paint scheme is not difficult.

Load the heli, save the paint scheme under a new name then edit the TGA file as desired.

You could even cut and paste a canopy from a similar model to get you going.

Check out the write-ups people have done about making your own colorscheme.

Looks like i am going to be struggling a bit, i have worked with cad systems but nothing like the top modelers on here are using. If anyone is willing to have a go at creating a 550E DFC let me know and i will be happy to provide things that you need.

Thanks

Matt

Everyone has tried to explain to him... it is not that hard to make a variant and paint a new canopy. He can probably even cut and paste photos of his own onto the TGA. In the mean time, he has a 500 and a 600 that he can fly. The 550 is really a 600 for all practical purposes.

If you dont mind my asking, what exactly are you wanting? Is it just a paint job, or are you looking to get an exact match size wise to a 550? With such existing models as my 500, and I believe there's a 600 as well, getting a new model is highly unlikely. Not that the guys dont care about what you're asking for, but its almost like reinventing the wheel. We put hundreds of hours into these models, and creating a new one thats so similar doesnt really make much sense UNLESS there are known flaws in the current model.

Now, a new paint job would be a real simple fix like mentioned above. If you would like to resize an existing model, again as stated above.

The closest is the 600 as a 550 dfc has got the 600 boom and head, so i can use that for now, but im not having any luck at getting anywhere near doing a canopy for it. Just a paint job on it would be brilliant

Tell you what, post a link to the 600 and pics of the canopy from the left and right sides, no flash/glare at the highest resolution you can. I'll look into doing a repaint for you this weekend.

No need to go to any trouble mate, only do this is your certain you have the time. I will get this pictures uploads as soon as i can

Looks like i am going to be struggling a bit, i have worked with cad systems but nothing like the top modelers on here are using.

You don't need ANY of that.

Just download and install the free paint program GIMP and have at it.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to make/repaint your own paint/color scheme here.

Back