New Product: Great Planes RealFlight Drone w/InterLink Elite

So is the new sales model to strip down the current version and package it to a specific audience and charge more?

If they called it RF8 and FOCUSED on quads, I would have bought the update. But calling it drone? Must be an attempt to boost sales with the public interested in "drones" if you ask me..

This isn't RF 8. It's a version like RF 7.5 but targeted to "drone" purchasers.

Do not expect any other releases from us this year. I know you are all used to big updates in October but it couldn't happen this time. Sorry to disappoint, but I promise we are putting the time to good use.

Jim

So it begins...

I wonder when we will see the RF8 announcement, now that the "Drone" version has appeared.

Unleash the rampant speculation!!! (Kraken?)

opjose, I have long wanted to subtitle one of our releases that way--like RealFlight 7: The Kraken--so that when we were finished I could ominously intone "Release the Kraken!"

I have not given up that dream.

Don't be sad. This is not a bad thing, it's a good thing!

Ryan,

Well I was excited about a new version, and ready to give you my money, but if we see good things then the wait will be worth it. I'd buy it now and I'll buy it then. You guys deserve our support so RF can get better and better.

My Wish List

1. More polys.
2. DX10 or Above.
3. Higher Resolution Textures.
4. Better Shadows.

Additional good stuff

1. More engines and sound profiles.
2. Better engine sounds.

I've been having a great time creating planes for RF 7 so I thank you for what I have.

Ryan,

Well I was excited about a new version, and ready to give you my money, but if we see good things then the wait will be worth it. I'd buy it now and I'll buy it then. You guys deserve our support so RF can get better and better.

My Wish List

1. More polys.
2. DX10 or Above.
3. Higher Resolution Textures.
4. Better Shadows.

Additional good stuff

1. More engines and sound profiles.
2. Better engine sounds.

I've been having a great time creating planes for RF 7 so I thank you for what I have.

i second this

Do not expect any other releases from us this year. I know you are all used to big updates in October but it couldn't happen this time. Sorry to disappoint, but I promise we are putting the time to good use.

Jim

If it means that your updating Realflight to a newer version of DirectX, a new Max exporter, and more polies for the modelers, take all the time you need.

I really hate the word "DRONE"...

Last edited:
Sonny, consider reading what Jim wrote earlier.

Jim

RYAN! You're alive!

Yes, I yet live. I've been quite busy. I try to lurk when I can to make sure nothing's going off the rails.

I really hate the word "DRONE"...

We could have a lengthy and even heated discussion about that term and the different connotations it carries for different people. Let's not do that here. ;)

As far as using it in the product name, it entails a certain amount of meeting people where they are.

Yes, I yet live. I've been quite busy. I try to lurk when I can to make sure nothing's going off the rails.

We could have a lengthy and even heated discussion about that term and the different connotations it carries for different people. Let's not do that here. ;)

As far as using it in the product name, it entails a certain amount of meeting people where they are.

I completely understand about the use of the word. It sells the product to the average Joe. We all know what they're supposed to be called.

Keep moving forward with Realflight 8.0 and take all the time you need to get it right.

Keep moving forward with Realflight 8.0 and take all the time you need to get it right.

Or you could do what a lot of software companies do these days. Release it now with a Day-Zero patch that allows it to at least run, and then provide three hurried patches that bring it to the 90 percent ready mark and never really fix it. NAW... Take Your Time :)

Back