New Purchaser Unable to Install

PeteCress

Paid my $200, got a box, but no DVD, no serial#, no instructions of any sort: just the Spektrum controller.

I figured "OK, authentication & installer must be built in to the controller."

I wish...

Found the RealFlight web page and there was a link to the v9.5 installer download along with a caution that a serial number is required for installation.

As above, I had no serial number, but I tried downloading anyhow. Turned off my anti-virus utility, but no download.

Windows 10...

Am I the only one?

I'm not sure I can help because I'm still running RF8, but there must be a serial number or activation key somewhere - maybe in an email confirming your purchase? The installer is via Steam. I'm sure @Ryan Douglas, @Jeremy Sebens or someone who's running RF9.5S will be along to help you soon.

There are no more "DVD" copies of Realflight anymore.

If you received Realflight 9.5s then you have in the box a key that will activate the software on Steam, which will then be what you use to download and install the software.

If you received Realflight 9.5s then you have in the box a key that will activate the software on Steam, which will then be what you use to download and install the software.
In the box, or on the box?

I paid for RealFlight, but received only the Spektrum controller.

In the box, or on the box?

I paid for RealFlight, but received only the Spektrum controller.

From the RealFlight 9.5S Install Guide

RealFlight 9.5S

Installing the Steam® Client (if necessary)
RealFlight 9.5S requires the Steam client. If you do not have Steam installed:

1. In your internet browser, visit: store.steampowered.com/about/
2. Click the INSTALL STEAM button.
3. Install Steam using the downloaded file.
4. Run Steam when prompted.
5. Log into your Steam account. If you do not have one, click Create a New Account ….

Installing RealFlight 9.5S
Verify the Steam client is running and that you are logged into your account.

1. Select the Games menu item.
2. Select Activate a Product on Steam.
3. When prompted, type your RealFlight 9.5S key into the Product Code field, exactly as it appears on the card included in the box.

You will receive confirmation that RealFlight 9.5S is successfully activated.

4. Click FINISH.
5. Steam will prompt you to install the software. Confirm your installation options, and click Next.
6. The installation dialog will close, and the RealFlight 9.5S download will begin.

Progress displays at the bottom of the Steam Client.

Starting RealFlight 9.5S from the Steam Client
1. With the Steam client running, choose the Library option to view the list of installed games/programs.
2. Select RealFlight 9.5S from the list of available options.
3. Click Play to start RealFlight 9.5S.

Last edited:
Mine was the pre-steam version that had a DVD in a case in the box. But I don't know how they do it with the new Steam version. I'm assuming that there should be some sort of cettificate in the package that tells you how to download & install it. But I don't know for sure, since I've never done it. There might be an email confirming your purchase & giving you the instructions and the key. Or maybe they screwed up when they packed the box & left it out. I just don't know.

I see that Technoid is trying to help, too. He's done it & should know exactly how it works. His key point:
3. When prompted, type your RealFlight 9.5S key into the Product Code field, exactly as it appears on the card included in the box.
So there SHOULD be a card in the box with the controller. Maybe they screwed up thinking that you were purchasing only a replacement controller & didn't include the key? They can be purchased without the license for people who already own the RF9 software-only version. Or maybe they shipped a replacement controller instead of the full RF9 package.

Last edited:
Here's a picture from an RF 9.5S Unboxing video. The Black Card has your RF 9.5S Steam Product Code. You can see he's covering up his code with his finger.

RF 9.5S Install.jpg

Well, I owe apologies to all.

Went back and re-examined the packaging and, sure enough, I had carelessly missed the 2 included DVDs.

I am in the process of running the install as I write this.

Again, I apologize for jerking everybody around.

Last edited:
Well, I owe apologies to all.

Went back and re-examined the packaging and, sure enough, I had carelessly missed the included DVD.

I am in the process of running the install as I write this.

Again, I apologize for jerking everybody around.
You will still need to go back and do the RF 9.5S Steam install because they DO NOT support the old RF 9.5 DVD version anymore. So you need to convert your RF 9.5 DVD version serial number to a Steam Product Key and reinstall using Steam. Here's a link to the conversion webpage. Your original RF 9.5 DVD version will work but it will not have any updates they've moved to Steam so everyone must upgrade to the new RF 9.5S.

https://keyexchange.realflight.com/

Last edited:
You will still need to go back and do the RF 9.5S Steam install because they DO NOT support the old RF 9.5 DVD version anymore. So you need to convert your RF 9.5 DVD version serial number to a Steam Product Key and reinstall using Steam. Here's a link to the conversion webpage. Your original RF 9.5 DVD version will work but it will not have any updates they've moved to Steam so everyone must upgrade to the new RF 9.5S.

https://keyexchange.realflight.com/
It's even better than that: even after updating to v9.50.038, RF abends with Failed to load DLL DINPUT8.dll.

And their installer was nothing to write home about...

I think this thing is going back to Amazon and I am going to give a bootleg version of now-defunct Phoenix a try.

If Phoenix doesn't work out and I am feeling masochistic, maybe I will re-purchase RF and throw myself upon the tender mercies of Steam.

I've still got 9.50.038 installed from when i got it last year before the steam version came out. it's working just fine.

doo doo happens

ah ha! i see this forum has an automatic censor feature. 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the censor is actively at work today. He/She doesn't seem to be very creative though. I would have substituted "crap." Well, maybe that's MORE creative than the other word I would have used.

Actually, I know exactly how it's done because I've done it as an admin on a different forum. It's built into XenForo & can be edited to provide different "translations." I can't seem to remember the exact word, but there's a VERY commonly used (on that forum) term that was translated into something that was TOTALLY out of context. And it made posts that talked about whatever it was totally laughable. I had to tell it "That word is OK, ignore it." But that allowed inappropriate use of the word to slip through. :ROFLMAO:
I think I remember the word now - it's a type of file. Let's see if it's prohibited here: bastard file. Well, I guess that's not a dirty word anymore.

Last edited:
Back