New to Wings3D

Steevy_T

I decided to see what I could do with wings so I found some 3 views and got started. After 3 days here is what I have. Do I connect all the parts so it becomes on big model, or slide them into each other like I did? Also, I have no clue what to do once the 3d modeling is finished. I know its rough, but here's how far I've gotten.

Attachments

• Progress (no tail).jpg
    Progress (no tail).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Check out the "how to build your own models" sticky at the top of the forum. It has links to all the tutorials that tell you how to do it.

Most of the tutorials work with max3d or something like that. I'll keep searching though. :) I actually kind of enjoyed the basic modeling part. Getting the plane into G4 is the part I don't think I'll like.

One thing I know is that the parts don't need to be connected to each other, like the wing to the fuselage, etc. The hierarchy must be defined, though. Blender is a free program that can do some of what's required. If you figure out how to make Blender work, please let me know. I'd be interested.

jeffpn said:
One thing I know is that the parts don't need to be connected to each other, like the wing to the fuselage, etc. The hierarchy must be defined, though. Blender is a free program that can do some of what's required. If you figure out how to make Blender work, please let me know. I'd be interested.

I was going to see if maybe wings would let me export into a file that blender could open. That way I can just do all the modeling and such in wings then use blender as a medium to define hierarchy and put it in a format G4 can use.

Export from Wings as a 3ds file, then import the 3ds into Blender. That's about as far as I got, but seriously, if you figure it out, please share.

If you intend to use Blender, why not learn just one software package instead of 2?

Steevy_T said:
I was going to see if maybe wings would let me export into a file that blender could open. That way I can just do all the modeling and such in wings then use blender as a medium to define hierarchy and put it in a format G4 can use.

Yes it can.

First, Make sure you have the fuselage running along the Z axis and POINTING to the Axis indicator (blue arrow pointing to the nose of your plane).

Then go to the Wings Menu bar, Click File > Export > 3D Studio (.3DS)...Now, right there next to that is a tiny box, the options box, click it to open the options menu...Make sure the boxes are checked as show in the example below (Thanks Terry!!!). If you don't check the "swap X - Y axis" the plane will sit on its tail.

attachment.php

Then you have to import it into Blender and it will have you navigate to your .3DS file, and in the upper R hand corner it will show you an Import 3ds text box, with the ability to set size constraint (default is 10.0) I use '100.00', not sure what matter that makes, but it will then import it into Blender when you hit the "OK" button.

This info was posted by Junkboy (Terry) in a build thread I was working on.

Good luck,

Griff
twoeleven

twoeleven said:
First, Make sure you have the fuselage running along the Z axis and POINTING to the Axis indicator (blue arrow pointing to the nose of your plane).
Aw great, my plane will be flying backwards. Anyway, I haven't spun it around yet, but here is what I have.

Attachments

• Rough Done.jpg
    Rough Done.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
I cut the ailerons with out a problem, but when I went to cut the rudder, I wound up with this strange artifact. I think I saw it once in the tutorials, but I can't find it again. How do I get rid of this?

Attachments

• now what.jpg
    now what.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 13
Maj. Numbskully said:
that vert stab looks .................thick? :confused:

I'm zoomed in almost as far as I can without cutting into it. But now that you mention it...... it is rather thick. I think I'm going to just start a new vert stab. I also have the same problem on the horiz stab. Maybe if I just restart that too.

You don't neet to restart due to that. What you are seeing is a ghost surface stretching across the part you just cut off. Just connect the nodes at the interior corners and you'll be fine.

Doug

dhk79 said:
You don't neet to restart due to that. What you are seeing is a ghost surface stretching across the part you just cut off. Just connect the nodes at the interior corners and you'll be fine.

Doug

Thanks, I still restarted the stabalizers, I had some really funky things going on with them. I had a rectangle or something coming out of the side of a cylinder that was streatched weird and wavy. It was a mess.

Well after the mess with the stabalizers, I got the control surfaces cut. There is still no landing gear though. Anyway, this is what I have. I highlighted all the control surfaces in the final picture. There are ailerons, rudder, elevator, and three flaps (one on each wing, and one on the little center wing).

Attachments

• Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Back Right.jpg
    Back Right.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Control Surfaces Highligted.jpg
    Control Surfaces Highligted.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 6
jeffpn said:
When he's done, I imagine. ;)
I think you mean IF I ever finish it. :rolleyes: I don't have any idea what to do next, and I can't figure out what the landing gear is supposed to look like. :confused:

Back