newbie and need help

idreif

i just bought BASIC and i see my video card is not updated..waht kind of card should i get??
here are my system specs
HELP
Time of this report: 1/16/2010, 20:02:52
Machine name: OFFICE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DV051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page File: 543MB used, 1713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Technologies, Inc. RAGE XL PCI
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies, Inc.
Chip type: ATI RAGE XL PCI (B22)
DAC type: ATI Internal DAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4752&SUBSYS_80081002&REV_65
Display Memory: 8.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: atidrae.dll
Driver Version: 5.01.2493.0000 (English)
DDI Version: 7
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/17/2001 13:56:00, 137216 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: atimpae.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/17/2001 11:49:00, 75136 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0412-11CF-B273-B5A9CBC2C835}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x4752
SubSys ID: 0x80081002
Revision ID: 0x0065
Revision ID: 0x0065
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_01C41028&REV_04
Display Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4363 (English)
DDI Version: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/20/2005 00:26:24, 38014 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
Mini VDD Date: 7/20/2005 00:34:22, 1049180 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-9362-CE21A5C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2582
SubSys ID: 0x01C41028
Revision ID: 0x0004
Revision ID: 0x0004
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Did you try.....

Hello idreif,
Did you try.....

"un-installing" any other GAME software ?
There may be a conflict in Windows XP .

To check: START/CONTROL PANEL/ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS/

From here you should see a list of programs, remove any games.
Remove any music sharing programs (yuk), check to see if you have automatic update, and a current anti-virus program (updated)?

I hope this helps.

Another thing you can try is going to the manufacture website of you video card and update the latest drivers. That sometimes helps. Good luck

Hmmm... A PCI card with 8MB of memory? I don't think a driver update is going to be enough to get that working.

Yea you will need to get another video card. I didn;t take a good look at the specs before. I like the Geforce videocards from Nvida but It looks like your integrated graphics card is ATI. It is all up to you. I would recommend going to www.Nvidia.com and they have an compare feature which you can compare the videocards in your price range and it will tell you what you need to know. Good luck.

yup.,....... always a good idea to check "minimum system requierments" printed on almost every box that software comes in or at the software developers web site before purchasing it :D

I bought RealFlight Basic for my son for his birthday. Long story short I had to remove a graphics card from an older computer we had, the card was originally purchased to run RealRace and that worked just fine!

After alot of aggravation I've managed to get the most recent drives installed and the card working but now I can not get RealFlight Basic to run.

The card is a ATI Diamond Stealth S60 with Radeon 7000 32MB DDR PCI Version and that should be enough to run RealFlight Basic, shouldn't it?

The error I received was:
Generic application error. Enable debug output for detailed info.

Please help - thanks :)

NOPE, it must also be at least DX9 compliant, which it is not.
Can your PC take anything else besides a PCI card?
You'll probably need at least AGP.

danfisc said:
The card is a ATI Diamond Stealth S60 with Radeon 7000 32MB DDR PCI Version and that should be enough to run RealFlight Basic, shouldn't it?

Thanks for the quick reply ...

So this card will not work? I was told that by downloading the updates it would accept a higher DX. Not sure what an AGP even is. Ugh so frustrating, my son has wanted RealFlight for years but being on a strict budget we haven't been able to get it for him. I don't think we can afford a new card. He is going to be soooo disappointed :(

That card you specified is only DX8 compliant, according to the manufacturer website: http://www.diamondmm.com/S60PCI.php

Sorry to hear that, it's a tough lesson in doing research before you buy. :(

Unless you have the proper gear to run this, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Maybe you know someone who can guide you through an upgrade when it's affordable for you.

Last edited:
AGP replaced PCI as the common mid to high end graphics card bus around 1997 or 8 and PCI express started taking over around 2004, so take a peek inside that PC or the manual and see if there's another different-looking kind of slot. (Typically the top slot near the CPU.)

You can find a few new cards on old buses but often the old bus is a bottleneck and you pay extra for the privilege of buying the slower card so check the PC before you go down that route.

From what google tells me your Dell DV 051 has only one additional PCIe1x slot.
So I think you'll need a new board plus Graphic card if you want to hold on to your CPU.

Which Nvidia Card did you choose ?

busspuppy said:
Yea you will need to get another video card. I didn;t take a good look at the specs before. I like the Geforce videocards from Nvida but It looks like your integrated graphics card is ATI. It is all up to you. I would recommend going to www.Nvidia.com and they have an compare feature which you can compare the videocards in your price range and it will tell you what you need to know. Good luck.

There are several Geforce Video Cards.

Which one did you choose, and how much did you spend on the card ?

I believe it has more to do with how much you are willing to spend.
What interface your motherboard will accept (AGP or PCIE).
If going high-end, can your existing power supply handle the additional load?

Im thinking and probally going to buy a Geforce 250 video card with 1 gig or ram. It sells around $140 but take in mind its a high end card and it is huge so it probally won't fit in alot of the company made cases, I may be wrong though. For you I would probally get a Geforce 9600 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4035118&CatId=1826

or a Geforce 9500 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4111742&CatId=3669

or something similar. Before you buy anything though make sure they will be able to work with your computer. Hope that helps.

The GeForce 250 is not THAT big.

It does take up two slot locations, but it is not as long as other cards.

The 295 has a much longer footprint, and may not fit in many computer cases in contrast.

Back