Nexstar remote with G3.5

Malcolmv8

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and searched around but didn't find the answer. I bought a Nexstar trainer a few years ago and love it. It came with a copy of Real Flight G2 but it's the Nexstar edition that only has that one plane.
So just recently I finally purchased a copy of Real Flight G3.5 but it doesn't seem to recognize my remote. How do I get it to recognize my remote?

Thanks
Malcolm

Last edited:
Malcolmv8 said:
So just recently I finally purchased a copy of Real Flight G3.5 but it doesn't seem to recognize my remote. How do I get it to recognize my remote?

Thanks
Malcolm
Use the Interlink that came with G3.5. The provided cables will allow you to use your own radio, if that's what you prefer. But using the Interlink is easier.

Is the interlink that square box on the cable? that you use to connect the remote to the PC? I already have one from my Nexstar. I got my copy of G3.5 off Ebay and the guy gave me a discount since I only got the software since I already had a remote and cable. Is this not going to work?

That will not work.

All modern version of RealFlight require an Interlink controller. The adapter you have only works with the NexSTAR edition.

Jim

The Interlink should have been included with the software. The Interlink provides the copy protection for RF. Your seller knew that. He got the Interlink when he bought G3.5. Unfortunate.

Last edited:
Well that's a bummer. So how does that work if I purchase a RF version 5 upgrade now? will it come with a new remote or ahh interlink deal? or does it rely on the version 3 interlink I don't have? What are my options from here?

I just wanted to get some more planes than just the one plain old Nexstar. I never intended to blow a bunch of money which is why I went the ebay route but now its looking like it just became a lot more expensive.

Thanks
Malcolm

Unfortunately the upgrade does not come with a Interlink, you will have to buy the full version.

Malcolmv8 said:
Well that's a bummer. So how does that work if I purchase a RF version 5 upgrade now? will it come with a new remote or ahh interlink deal? or does it rely on the version 3 interlink I don't have? What are my options from here?

I'm sorry, but there are no upgrades available from the NexSTAR edition of RealFlight. The NexSTAR edition is a very specific and trimmed down version of the software that only works with the included adapter.

From memory, there was a rebate coupon of some kind in the box, which would have allowed you to upgrade at that time. But so many years later, I don't think that option is available.

You'll have to call Great Planes Software Support to see if there is anything they can do for you.

It seems like you are interested in saving money. Buying a boxed copy of RealFlight is well worth the investment. It will teach you a lot about R/C, help you to avoid costly crashes, and also has a great resale value. Try thinking about it as an investment in your hobby.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the info but $200 is way to much for a copy. That's double the cost of the last plane I bought from nitroplanes.com. I guess I will just stick to playing with my nexstar edition even though it's kinda boring with only one plane.

Thanks
Malcolm

Malcolmv8 said:
$200 is way to much for a copy.
Thousands of people would disagree with you, but obviously it's your decision. Heck, I bought RF G2, G3, G4, G5, 5 AddOns discs (which only work with G2-G3.5), and 6 Expansion Pack discs. I think RF is well worth the money.

What kind of a plane do you get for $100? That has to be a toy plane, not an RC model. I spent $500 to get my first RC plane in the air, a gas trainer, and that was around 1990 or so.

If you're referring to the cost of the kit only, then buy one of the Expansion Packs. They cost only $30. But just like you need an engine, radio, servos, monokote and other materials to make your $100 kit fly, you need the RF program to use the Expansion Pack.

jeffpn said:
What kind of a plane do you get for $100? That has to be a toy plane, not an RC model. I spent $500 to get my first RC plane in the air, a gas trainer, and that was around 1990 or so.

Nope it's a real 4 channel r/c p51. It's electric but included everything including remote, lipo battery, battery charger, few tools etc. 100% complete. 35" wing span. Check it out here

http://www.nitroplanes.com/gl501-3-p51-brushless-silver.html

My first Trainer I bought many years ago was the Nexstar gas trainer with a .46 motor and it cost me $400 and included RF nexstar edition. So that's a complete gas powered r/c plane and a copy of RF for $400 and now I'm supposed to blow $200 on just a copy of RF? yeah I don't think so.

I tried Nitroplanes.com and really enjoyed my P51 and went back and bought another plane off their site. They are a lot of fun.

You might like to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on RF but that's up to you. To each their own. Myself personally I'd rather spend the money on real planes and go out side and enjoy them. RF is extremely over priced in my opinion.

I downloaded clearview, FMS and a few other freebie flight sims last night. They are not as cool looking as RF but they teach you to fly and that's all I really wanted. Well I already know how to fly but was just looking for a few more planes to make it more exciting but heck why would I spend $200 just to get a few more planes when I already have a copy of RF? makes no sense to me.
For $200 I can get two more real planes off nitroplanes.com and go outside and enjoy two more real models.

Hey, it's your money, spend it how you like.
What are you going to do after you crash those other 2 "real planes"?

But in the end, you came here asking about the software, you received the appropriate responses. Have a nice flight.

Malcolmv8 said:
For $200 I can get two more real planes off nitroplanes.com and go outside and enjoy two more real models.

Malcolmv8 said:
I already have a copy of RF
well you have the software, but not the hardware that should have come with it. And I understand different strokes for different folks. Some people laughed at me when I told them I spent $180 (I think) on my mSR when they have an Airhog that looks similar that's a helluva lot cheaper. You get what you pay for, and some people like to spend money on certain things, and scrimp on other things. No problem with that. To each his own.

jeffpn said:
That has to be a toy plane, not an RC model. I spent $500 to get my first RC plane in the air, a gas trainer, and that was around 1990 or so.

Effectively it is... it's just better than what you'll find at Wall Mart.

I see soooo many people at RCU complaining about these low end foamies.

Typically they grab the attention of novices because of the extremely low entry price.

Of course the novice is usually least able to deal with the idiosyncracies of these planes.

For $200.00 you CAN purchase one or two "real" airframes from Nitroplanes.com ( heck I have over 30 of them up through the 100cc gassers ), and then pour in three or four times that per plane in electronics, engines, etc.

However your first crash with "real" RC planes teaches you that the $200.00 Realflight Simulator is a bargain and a half.

FMS will not teach you about cross wind handling, etc.

Of course it is also difficult to convince a novice to go and blow $300.00 or more on a good computer controlled transmitter.

Heck I couldn't be convinced either... and now I know I was a fool for not doing so.

Draw your own parallels.

Not sure why you guys are getting mean about it. I think RF is over priced and that's my opinion. If you think not then great it's your money, spend it how you want.

I'm also not just trashing planes. I don't know where that idea came from. I bought my Nexstar trainer about 6 or 7 years ago and have flown it quite a bit over the years. I just recently wanted to try a couple different planes so I got a couple planes from nitroplanes.com. They are cheap but fully functional and work fine.

I don't need RF to learn how to fly. As I stated before I just wanted more planes to select from as I only have the Nexstar edition and a copy of G3.5 that apparently is useless without the interlink cable. It's just fun to play but I'm not spending $200 to have a few more planes to choose from.

Malcolmv8 said:
Not sure why you guys are getting mean about it. I think RF is over priced and that's my opinion.
Not sure how you got the impression that people are getting mean about it.
Unless you think not agreeing with you is mean? :confused:
You stated your opinion in a public forum, now you are getting opinions from others on the product's own fansite. Duh. :rolleyes:
If you state the same opinion on a Clearview or FMS forum, they will most likely agree with you.

Malcolmv8 said:
I'm also not just trashing planes. I don't know where that idea came from. I bought my Nexstar trainer about 6 or 7 years ago and have flown it quite a bit over the years.
Because EVERYONE crashes. :eek:
I never met an R/C enthusiast that does not crash.

Well sure I've crashed. I didn't mean never but I've since learned to fly and crashes are far and few in between now.

Back