Night planes with Naviation lights and stobes only?

pkquat

Sorry if some consider this a double post.

I had originally posted this in the current products section, but it only got one response and I figure you guys have a better knowledge of the RF planes and what is in the swap pages.

Can anyone recommend any models that only have the navigation lights and strobes for night flying? They could be real lights or just parts that "glow" like lights.

I have chosen some night flying sites, and scrolled through a number of planes that have no lights or entire sections of the plane glow. With all the addons, plus 2 expansion packs, and possibly 100 swap planes, that is a lot to go through, not to mention all the planes on the swap pages that I don't have.

Last edited:
Geez you guys are quick. I accidentally hit <Enter>, then had to edit. :eek:

Not sure if I understand jeffs comment

You stated you only got one response before. Anyone reading this thread has already read your original thread. What you are doing by starting a new thread, even in a different subforum, will be no more effective than a bump of your original thread.

I was taking a shot that there night be someone who has been more focused on the designing forum, that has not bothered to look at the general forums. I have also noticed there is more activity in this section. I don't know that "everyone" here has read the other thread.

I had originally thought about posting the question here since it would be something designers would most likely know better, but since it is not really a design question, I leaned more towards forum convention and posted in the general section.

Per your post on the other thread of 133 views. They could have been a number of general people looking for the same thing. I am just used to seeing a few more replies to questions even if its sorry I don't know.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Last edited:
No feathers ruffled here. As a rule, the people here who can/do answer questions read the whole forum. It's not that large of a forum.

pkquat said:
With all the addons, plus 2 expansion packs, and possibly 100 swap planes, that is a lot to go through, not to mention all the planes on the swap pages that I don't have.
It's no less daunting of a task for anyone else to research your answer. Sure, someone may happen to fly an airplane that is as you are seeking. But if that were the case, they would have replied to your other thread. It is my opinion that anyone who sees this thread would have seen your other thread when you posted it. They may have overlooked it, but had you bumped your other thread instead of starting a new thread here on the same topic, they would have seen it this time around, same as seeing this thread.

I believe that your lack of response is due to a lack of interest in what you are looking for. That is not to say that it is wrong for you to be interested. If it were popular, you would have gotten some quick suggestions.

I too would like to see more planes with lights and strobes on them released.

I don't think the OP's question has really been answered. He does have a point. The software does have night capability

It would be a lot of work to DL each plane and note whether or not it has lights, maybe if some of the up-loaders could edit their file and mention in the descriptions when the lights are available on their model.

In the mean time... it is pretty much hit and miss... mostly miss, I am afraid.

Maybe as you come across them, everyone could post that in this thread.

Last edited:
Several of my scale models have nav lights/stobes included, but on the prop planes you just have to pick one of types of props that does not use the idiot effect.

EDIT: The Transition, Bonanza V35, F-4 Phantom, F-16 Viper, T-34C Mentor, T-38 Talon and Thunderbird are all set up for night flight.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
No feathers ruffled here. As a rule, the people here who can/do answer questions read the whole forum. It's not that large of a forum.

pkquat said:
As for the planes, I am looking for recommendations. I have chosen some night flying sites, and scrolled through a number of planes that have no lights or entire sections of the plane glow. With all the addons, plus 2 expansion packs, and possibly 100 swap planes, that is a lot to go through, not to mention all the planes on the swap pages that I don't have.

Maybe the designers corner is the place to ask this, if any of them remembers designing or seeing one.

It's no less daunting of a task for anyone else to research your answer. Sure, someone may happen to fly an airplane that is as you are seeking. But if that were the case, they would have replied to your other thread. It is my opinion that anyone who sees this thread would have seen your other thread when you posted it. They may have overlooked it, but had you bumped your other thread instead of starting a new thread here on the same topic, they would have seen it this time around, same as seeing this thread.

I believe that your lack of response is due to a lack of interest in what you are looking for. That is not to say that it is wrong for you to be interested. If it were popular, you would have gotten some quick suggestions.

I'm not sure if it really worth replying. I am a member of and positively contribute to a number of forums small and large, and tend to take a more positive approach to people and questions instead of assuming the worst.

If you look at more of my post on the other thread, I never asked or expected anyone to research the swap pages for me. I was looking for recommendations of planes that people may have known of, or had come across, even if it is a just a point in a direction. The designers would be logical people to ask since they have the best knowledge of planes they created, and possibly that others have created that might not be currently active in the forum at the moment. I did find some designer threads that discussed lights, adding them, and some of the difficulties, and how in most cases they need to be part of the model. There appears to be some interest in lights since I found some posts inquiring about them in the general section as well.

I'm not "assuming the worst." I simply pointed out that you're really no more likely to get an answer to a question here by cross-posting or double-posting than by reviving your original thread. The same people read everything here, especially the people like dhk79 who are inclined to answer questions no matter which section they are posted in. The only issue is that some people might not visit the forum for a couple days, and miss a few posts.

Look at the first sentence of your first post in this thread. It seems to me that you already suspected how others might think of a second thread on the same topic.

I am glad that you got an answer. I still don't believe there's many planes out there at all that are set up as you are describing. I guess it'd be a start to include in the swap page description that a plane has lights, but that would still involve a serious effort to sift through all of the descriptions of all of the swap files to find them.

The Mentor was just what I was looking for. The Bonanza is also great. I see more what you guys have been saying about lights. It appears they would need to be fairly big to show up well at a distance, they quickly turn into just a single pixel and the color is tough to pic out. I wonder if the "cs-glow" works better for this.

BTW the Osprey prop has no lights. I'll edit and add more to the list, or maybe props would be worthy of their own thread.

Is it possibly to get any of the night locations darker? I dropped the inclination to -85 for the Flight School (night) and the other default night site (similar to the Sod Farm). I also tried the same with the Sod Farm with strange results. I had a darkish plane on a darkish runway with a bright background. I am guessing one needs to make a new photo and darken it as well.

Back