no color showing for plane

wwright

Hope this may help others.

I had a plane and an airport. The airport landing strip were in color but the plane was a white model of the selected plane.

Selecting the plane was color. But once selected and on the strip it was white model.

ATI card came with a program that runs on the toolbar.
ATI - 3d settings - direct3d - support DXT texture formats

I believe my settings before were using the OpenGL and "real flight" does not seem to handle both.

Similar issue may show up but getting to the setting may have to find an .ini file or something else to make sure the video card uses the propers settings.

-Thanks

I would appreciate if someone would update the FAQ to point to enabling the Direct3d software properly.

Appologies if it is already here some where. I could not find it using the Search from the Support site. <search>

-thanks.

It doesn't work that way..................
YOU need to direct YOUR card to DX
rather than the software to your card

As Dx9 is required for all versions of RF
RF takes it for granted that thats what you're using and have your hardware set up properly to do so

make sure you have DX9 installed

check your Graphics card to make sure it is DX compatible

check the cards setting to disable OpenGL
or enable DX
or to automatically detect the proper one

knowing the specs of your machine would be helpful .............to help you

Last edited:
First the Toolbar is not needed to enable the correct DXT texture format.

That can be done in the drivers themselves.

Second, ATI for some reason seems to like to go against the rest of the world with this switch. Toggle it and you'll never have to change it back!

As the Maj stated, the problem is with the ATI drivers, or rather their default texture decoding settings.

---

Also as he stated DX9 is a MUST for Realflight, even if you already have DX11 or DX10 installed.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST run the DirectX9 installer. This will not hurt a DX10 (Vista) or DX11 ( Windows 7 ) machine. It will merely add a missing library or two to your system... if you have either of these operating systems.

---

Finally many people open the .ZIP archive file and attempt to install the files manually. This will ALWAYS result in planes with no colors.

You MUST, MUST, MUST use the built in installer software within the program.

The installation routines adjust imbedded paths in the plane configuration files as needed for your particular computer.

Back