No Servo Animation

abaser

As I was closing out a session this evening, I went into the editor to make a small change to the ElectriFly Edge 540T and noticed that it has modeled servos, but there is no animation to them. I hope this is an oversight, as I cant imagine adding the polys and not putting forth the effort to animate them.:)

None of the stock models are animated... And also very few of the models on the swappages are, but i think it increases the realism a lot.

Yeah, I noticed that later on. I don't really see the point in adding them if you're not going to animate them. Whats funny is that any model that I add servos to, and send out for opinions on the physics, the first thing that pops up generally is that I haven't animated the servos yet. I rarely fly the stock aircraft, so I havent noticed this before. looks odd to me.

Yeah, it's pretty boring... I'm missing this on Helis as well, and even if someone adds cyclic animation, I haven't seen anyone adding collective but me... Maybe Knifeedge will develop an easy animation system that works automatically? ;)

The servos on that plane are modeled strictly for visual realism. It was a G4.5 plane, and if I recall correctly, we would have had performance concerns about adding very many movable pods to a model at that time.

I'm currently adding pods to it now. If I were to add them to more, would you guys be interested in using them in future releases? Strictly as a gift from me. It just adds to the realism for me.

I did full animation on all of my newer helis (600SX/SE for example). 25 Pods if I'm remembering it correctly and I'm not having any performance issues.. And believe me, my Computer is some lowtech 4gb ram dualcore thing :)

I'm not sure [m]any of those models are even tagged to allow that sort of thing after the fact. Did you have any luck with the 540T?

Unfortunately not. Like you say, there's no listing for the rods in the editor list. I know you guys probably have your reasons for doing them that way, but now it bugs me. :p

BTW, in looking into this, I noticed a small rectangle next to the ~CS_SPRING component name. I haven't run across that anywhere else. What is the propose of that?

Forgive the poor quality pic. My router is on the blink.

Attachments

• IMG_20140114_212426_813.jpg
    IMG_20140114_212426_813.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'm also noticing something else in looking into this. In the wireframe if almost every model I've looked at, the spinner is attached to the fuselage. In looking into part names,I can't recall seeing the first ~ CS_SPINNER listed on any model. How are you guys getting the spinner to spin?

Re: the box in the ~CS_SG_SPRING frame name in the Edge 540T, it appears that the artist accidentally included an unprintable character in the name. RealFlight must be ignoring it where it counts, allowing it to work as intended despite the mistake. As such, I don't think I'm even going to file a case. Good catch, though!

Re: the spinner, I don't think I understand the question. Bear in mind I'm also not intimately familiar with the hierarchical requirements for the art. I saw ~CS_SPINNER1 on all three models I spot checked just now, and all three appeared to be spinning as expected. One of those models was the P-51. Perhaps looking at the P-51 model we made available as a sample with KEMax would shed some light?

I'll have to look again tonight to double check myself as I've slept since posting, but if I remember correctly, showing the wireframe in the editor has the spinner incorporated in the fuselage frame. From what I can remember (I'm no editor genius by any means), that usually isn't the case with my models. Clicking in the component frame box also doesn't list the ~CS_SPINNER part name. I thought any part with the ~CS_ prefix should be shown. Without being able to attach a component frame, I thought the part wasn't moveable.

I don't recall exactly which models I looked at, but the EF Edge was one of those looked at. I believe the stock Extra 300 was also one. I'll look at the mustang tonight to see if it's the same way or not, and also at some custom models to verify my thoughts and get back to you on this.

Ah, we're looking in two different places. ~CS_SPINNER1 appears under Visual Mesh, but you're right, it does not appear in the dropdown box where you would actually select a visual frame to assign to a component.

I haven't looked into it, but it sounds to me like the spinner frame is treated specially. Also, it sounds like you may have found a way of modeling those parts that is different than how we do it but still functional. The models I checked (Edge 540T, P-51, Yak-54) all look as you describe.

Ok, after checking a few of my own models, I was correct about the spinner not being attached to the fuselage frame. However, like the others mentioned above, the ~CS_SPINNER part isn't available in the component frame box. I have yet to look at the provided sample files to compare and see what the differences are, but will when I get more time. Im now curious as to why these differences are happening. Im sure its probable in how things are parented if I had to guess.

Attachments

• ScreenShot208.jpg
    ScreenShot208.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, it's pretty boring... I'm missing this on Helis as well, and even if someone adds cyclic animation, I haven't seen anyone adding collective but me... Maybe Knifeedge will develop an easy animation system that works automatically? ;)

You should check out my Outrage It's fully animated and it's more than a year old.

Yes, I know your Outrage, and I really like the push-pull-animation, but it neither has an animated rotorhead nor a collective animation ;) It took me a while to figure out how to do it in 6.5 (no linar movable pods...) but I managed it. For example my Logo 600 SX, I admit it's far away from being as detailed as your models, but I think the rotorhead & collective animations definitely look cool from a normal flying distance :)

Back