North American P-51 build thread

I thought I would test fit the engine in the cowl and a belt drive and there is more room than I was expecting. I do not intend to model the inside of a cowl and engine more me making sure it would fit without holes for everything. spark plug, velocity stack, air outlets

2022-03-10 01_40_40-Wings3D 2.2.6.1 () - d__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_P-51 A_P-51A 01 test pai...jpg
2022-03-10 01_37_26-Wings3D 2.2.6.1 () - d__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_P-51 A_P-51A 01 test pai...jpg
MVVS 58lc_dim1.PNG
1646894888226.png

Wondering if that radiator exit in post #45 will be a moveable object ( yes ??? ) along with the separate working inner gear doors ( second reminder ).
Waiting anxiously for the final project ... have been flying / modifying the beta since becoming available. Flys great ... but the control surfaces are sleeping !
Have developed one CS so far.... just a simple one.
Looking good so far ......

Wondering if that radiator exit in post #45 will be a moveable object ( yes ??? ) along with the separate working inner gear doors ( second reminder ).
Waiting anxiously for the final project ... have been flying / modifying the beta since becoming available. Flys great ... but the control surfaces are sleeping !
Have developed one CS so far.... just a simple one.
Looking good so far ......

yes radiator will open and close. I have not forgot the gear doors yet. I have been trying to focus the Northrop wings they are mostly done I keep telling my self they are almost done and I will post them next week but when I get the energy to work on them I don't have the time I either need to help dad or mom and when I have the time I don't have any energy to bang out the last little bit.

the control surfaces and gear doors have not been done yet. i am curious what you cs looks like

Fantastic ... thanks for the info and effort. I sure can relate to the time and energy problems.
I am taking time now to learn more about using Corel Paint-shop. Using your beta CS as the subject. Making my own sort of mapping on multiple overlays ( Layers ). My desire when done is to be able to create a different CS easier with panel lines , rivets, graphics etc.. I get easily confused on what layer I'm working with., among other problems.
I have a little more work to do on the "MERLIN EXPRESS" CS found on Google. I'll post it as soon as I finish some touchup.

Fantastic ... thanks for the info and effort. I sure can relate to the time and energy problems.
I am taking time now to learn more about using Corel Paint-shop. Using your beta CS as the subject. Making my own sort of mapping on multiple overlays ( Layers ). My desire when done is to be able to create a different CS easier with panel lines , rivets, graphics etc.. I get easily confused on what layer I'm working with., among other problems.
I have a little more work to do on the "MERLIN EXPRESS" CS found on Google. I'll post it as soon as I finish some touchup.

the Berlin express?
1647049921166.png
1647050056751.png

Attaching the two CS I'm working on , the Merlin Express is the latest with my layered template.
Took some liberties with both .... Still experimenting , having fun !

Attachments

• ScreenShot1647128385.jpg
    ScreenShot1647128385.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ScreenShot1647128246.jpg
    ScreenShot1647128246.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P-51A HM_CS.RFX
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • P51A - Color Test_CS.RFX
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
This is the picture I was working from ... the B is hidden by prop ... I did a little play on words (not really intentional), and some liberties on scheme ... as your aware ... not an "A" version.
Not to upstage you, but do you have a CS preference I could do for you as you guide me along.p-51a merlin express.jpg

Attachments

• p-51a merlin express.jpg
    p-51a merlin express.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1
This is the picture I was working from ... the B is hidden by prop ... I did a little play on words (not really intentional), and some liberties on scheme ... as your aware ... not an "A" version.
Not to upstage you, but do you have a CS preference I could do for you as you guide me along.View attachment 128268

Go for it! don't let me slow youdown.

I will most likely do something like this
1647166305578.png
or
1647166775860.png
1647166900895.png

OK ... I almost started on a British scheme ... I'll give it a try.
Finished this today ( finished as in until finial mapping )
The picture for this plane repeatedly popped up during my search ... so I gave in !
Next time I save the file, I plan on spelling "Viginia" correctly !!!!
I'm also having trouble getting the base color(s) dialed in .... I think I have it ... then go to RF and " nope ... don't like " ....

Just went in and took the color overlay off .... called it "P-51A Base" ... attached for your perusal !ScreenShot1647289108.jpgScreenShot1647287369.jpg

Mrs. Virginia .....
p-51 Mrs vIrginia.jpg

Attachments

• Mrs Viginia_CS.RFX
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • P-51 A Base_CS.RFX
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
Another CS to work with. Not the one you posted, and needs a little touch-up. I'll be using "The Z" FD559 you provided as a source since it has the panel lines and a nice CS. Should be a challenge to get the camo to line up.
Here is Sir Johnny !!!
ScreenShot1647306972.jpgP-51A Britian AG470.jpg

Attachments

• P-51A Britian_CS.RFX
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Back