Not your average 400% AV..

That is a little much for a description.

As UT mentioned a Link to the Article would have been better. Most people here are well aware of the capabilities of the Lynx. I know the Naval versions are one of my personal favorites (I prefer wheels over skids).

The physics/scaling on the thing are horrendous. I know some of my early AV's weren't the greatest but geebus :eek:

The physics/scaling on the thing are horrendous. I know some of my early AV's weren't the greatest but geebus :eek:

It's typical for someone who is inexperienced in the way the editor works and does not know how a real world model would fly. Realflight doesn't do a great job of modeling giant aircraft. I found this out first hand when I scaled up some of the WWI fighters to 1/2 scale. Luckily I had a guy who actually flies these real world models with me in a multiplayer session and could tell me what the feel should be like and he could test it right away. They came out pretty spot on, and flew like a real model would.

One thing to note that weight on a 50% scale aircraft is not 50% weight. A average model isn't more than 50lbs.

Last edited:
It's typical for someone who is inexperienced in the way the editor works and does not know how a real world model would fly. Realflight doesn't do a great job of modeling giant aircraft. I found this out first hand when I scaled up some of the WWI fighters to 1/2 scale. Luckily I had a guy who actually flies these real world models with me in a multiplayer session and could tell me what the feel should be like and he could test it right away. They came out pretty spot on, and flew like a real model would.

One thing to note that weight on a 50% scale aircraft is not 50% weight. A average model isn't more than 50lbs.

Oh yeah, scaling up isn't easy as I've found out over time. Heli's are especially difficult. There are so many things you have to adjust or create like large blades. I have Goblin Speed 1000 heli I'm still tweaking right. Just getting the tail wag/jitter out of it has been a PIA.

Scale Weight

It's typical for someone who is inexperienced in the way the editor works and does not know how a real world model would fly. Realflight doesn't do a great job of modeling giant aircraft.

Square (area) Vs. Cube (mass)
If A Square block: 1"x 1"x 1" = 1 oz.
Twice that size...: 2"x 2" x 2" = 8 oz.

Last edited:
I find that even with the formula to scale weight, I often have to find a sort of sweet spot when making half scale aircraft because at the scaled weight, the stall speed is often too high to be scale and you need to balance scale weight and stall speed to find the best flying 1/2 scale aircraft.

I find that even with the formula to scale weight, I often have to find a sort of sweet spot when making half scale aircraft because at the scaled weight, the stall speed is often too high to be scale and you need to balance scale weight and stall speed to find the best flying 1/2 scale aircraft.

Normally I adjust the percentage of lift on surfaces when scaling up planes. You have to go to 50% or less it seems. I also find you need to play with CG, component weights, etc to get the stall speed right otherwise they will just float and almost hang in the air barely moving. Scaling up helis you need to create your own rotor blades in the larger size. This can get complicated with the weighting, stiffness, etc on them.

Last edited:
Square (area) Vs. Cube (mass)
If A Square block: 1"x 1"x 1" = 1 oz.
Twice that size...: 2"x 2" x 2" = 8 oz.

The real world giant scale aircraft don't weigh much at all, they are built with lightweight materials and don't have the same systems that a real aircraft would have. They are basically hollow shells with some radio equipment and a power plant. I was surprised myself to find a 8ft span model only has a flying weight of 40lbs. In RealFlight I had to make it a little heavier to fly scale. It's like the air is a little thicker and planes will float more than they should.

Sorry guys, its all my fault...

Those long descriptions and multiple swap page posts are from our Friend of Several Aliases (F.S.A, or "full size ayehole"?) Rorey the Smokepot....He doesnt dare try to penetrate my non-password fields anymore, and my kids miss abusing him...

Had my fields up all over the Chistmas vaca, but he never showed :(
Even trimmed a Sopwith to fly lazy circles, went for +18 hours with unlimited fuel, and he's too afraid to come in anymore...

So now he goes Gonzo on swap as soon as I post something to knock it off the front page.......Oh well, loser freak keeps me entertained one way or another!

Got a couple Nigerian Scammers I'm trolling as well...Dance you freak, DANCE FOR ME SOME MORE!!

YEP. That was a little annoying :rolleyes:, A link to it, would have been the better choice / option.
I understand that this might be annoying but I include this prior knowledge for the average person (someone who doesn't know one thing about this helicopter). Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Your co-pilot,
Bachem Natter

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I personally give these aircraft the green light but you can further modify these aircraft, I insist.

Your radar operator,
Bachem Natter

Oh yeah, scaling up isn't easy as I've found out over time. Heli's are especially difficult. There are so many things you have to adjust or create like large blades. I have Goblin Speed 1000 heli I'm still tweaking right. Just getting the tail wag/jitter out of it has been a PIA.
I agree this is why the Lynx flies like trash.
But here's how you operate it...

... use as little collective as possible...

... and in order to fly forward bring collective to idle then back to the position you were at...

... don't bring the collective higher than you need it (hopefully this makes sense because I did not know how to word the sentence).

Thanks,
Bachem Natter

Sorry guys, its all my fault...

Those long descriptions and multiple swap page posts are from our Friend of Several Aliases (F.S.A, or "full size ayehole"?) Rorey the Smokepot....He doesnt dare try to penetrate my non-password fields anymore, and my kids miss abusing him...

Had my fields up all over the Chistmas vaca, but he never showed :(
Even trimmed a Sopwith to fly lazy circles, went for +18 hours with unlimited fuel, and he's too afraid to come in anymore...

So now he goes Gonzo on swap as soon as I post something to knock it off the front page.......Oh well, loser freak keeps me entertained one way or another!

Got a couple Nigerian Scammers I'm trolling as well...Dance you freak, DANCE FOR ME SOME MORE!!
Rory is a smokepot! I've been meaning to say that on an official thread for Ryan to see... Oh well, guess you beat me to it.

Your annoying bogey,
Bachem Natter

Thank you everyone, for comments and help.

I'll just add less advanced aircraft (like a BF-110 with a DB605 [unless told otherwise]).

The pilot of that MiG-17 on your 6,
Bachem Natter

Last edited:
It just takes time to get better. I've posted some AV's myself I wish I could take back and improve.

Back