Octocopter retracts

WildDoktor

Hi; new to the form and new to realflight 8, and diving right in with a quick question!

I'd like to add retracts to the octocopter 1000 (or the x8 quadcopter 1260). So I open the editor, add a servo called retracts and assign the input to receiver channel 7. Then in the Physics tab I choose landing gear and set the retract servo to the new servo. I then add a channel 7 to the radio (it only has 6), add a simple input, and assign Input Channel 7 (slider) to the input channel.

This causes the landing legs to move a couple inches toward the center when I flip the switch on my TX; rather than moving them out and up, which is wrong. When I save and exit, the landing gear on the flying model don't move at all when I flip the switch.

So: is this behavior built into these models, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks! I downloaded that model and tried copying the settings to a fresh X8 and a fresh Octo, but the gear won't pivot; instead, the gear just slides up into the air, detaching from the craft, so obviously I'm missing something...not surprising!

BTW, is there a user manual for this editor somewhere?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    203 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Unfortunately there is no Official Manual covering all the capabilities of the Aircraft or Environment Editors.

The Editors themselves are very helpful, if you just click on stuff, you'll find description's and parameters.

Reverse Engineering is also Very Helpful, especially if you check Physical modifications (AV's) made to aircraft.
Either modifications, made to an aircraft, from a earlier version, to fly correctly in a newer/current version. OR
Modifications to add new features to an aircraft.

On the X8 Quadcopter 1260 Retract, I noticed a problem.
The retract's work fine on takeoff, BUT, if you land, just a little rough, or hard enough to break off a leg or two, on Reset, the leg no longer Pivots, but raises straight up.
(like the pivot point broke)

This can be Reset, by simply entering the Aircraft Editor, toggle the landing gear. See its working correctly. Then go back to the program. Always leave the editor by clicking File>Exit to Simulator.

There is a setting in the Aircraft Editor (Physics tab) called a strength multiplier, that Increases or Decreases the strength of each component, for realism. (1-1500) 1500 being indestructible.
On the X8 Quadcopter 1260 Retract, I increased it to 1000, and the Landing leg problem went away.
Check the picture below for setting location in the editor.
Check Your Private Messages top left corner for more info.

Attachments

• X8 Retract.JPG
    X8 Retract.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 11
I'll have a look at the model, tonight but it sounds like it has a linear movement instead of a rotating movement. A simple movable pod instead of the linear actuator would probably resolve the problem.

Back