Oculus Rift or HTC Vive

BaMMeR991

which one is better for RF8 ? Oculus Rift or HTC Vive? Im not familiar with either one, but looking forward to trying it !

Both are great systems, and RealFlight will look the same with either. That said, if you are buying new and need to choose, we recommend the Rift at this point in time. Here are the main reasons:
  • Framerate is a little higher. As I understand it that is true for all software titles between the Rift and Vive, not just RF8.
  • The Rift has built-in headphones. That's nice, and RealFlight's audio automatically switches between the headphones and your PC speakers when you don/doff the headset.
  • The Rift is cheaper.
If you happen to have a Vive, don't let any of the above get you down. We're talking about minor reasons to prefer one over the other. Both are still fully supported and recommended.

Both are great systems, and RealFlight will look the same with either. That said, if you are buying new and need to choose, we recommend the Rift at this point in time. Here are the main reasons:
  • Framerate is a little higher. As I understand it that is true for all software titles between the Rift and Vive, not just RF8.
  • The Rift has built-in headphones. That's nice, and RealFlight's audio automatically switches between the headphones and your PC speakers when you don/doff the headset.
  • The Rift is cheaper.
If you happen to have a Vive, don't let any of the above get you down. We're talking about minor reasons to prefer one over the other. Both are still fully supported and recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I think Ill go with rift. two of my sons work in IT and they both tell me to go with rift.

• The Rift is cheaper.

How about the new higher resolution sets... the Samsung below (sorry if it's bad form to copy & paste text)

Samsung will launch a new virtual reality headset powered by Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality platform, both companies announced on Tuesday. The headset, called the Samsung HMD Odyssey, will be released on November 6 for $499, making it the same price as the Oculus Rift.

The Samsung HMD Odyssey's standout feature appears to be its display, which includes a 1,440-by-1,600 pixel resolution per eye. That's higher than both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, which each offer 1,200-by-1,080 pixels per eye. The screen will also be built using the same vibrant AMOLED technology Samsung uses for its smartphones.

The $499 price includes two motion controllers, and the headset will have integrated AKG headphones that support spatial audio.

Looks like this Samsung is partnered with the new Windows "Mixed Reality" rather than competing against it.

Source...
http://time.com/4967437/samsung-new-vr-headset-2017/

It will be interesting to see what is out for the holiday season. I think a VR set is going to be my Xmas and birthday present. I'm sure my current PC could support it ok on RF8 even if I have to use a sparse 3D field. I currently get 150-200 fps on them.

I have all the VR headsets Rift, Vive and PSVR. Don't ask. Anyhow the Vive has a new head band (worth it by the way) which has included headphones. However, at the end of the day I would choose Rift over Vive. More software and higher quality software at that. Vive seems to be more tech demo type things than anything else. That being said things are improving. On the other hand Vive tracking is also more advanced with 2 light house emitters giving full 360 tracking. If you want 360 tracking with Rift you need to buy an additional camera (and worry about USB cords across the floor) otherwise if you turn your back to the two front facing cameras you lose your hands.

More software and higher quality software at that. Vive seems to be more tech demo type things than anything else.

Does that mean that VR software is hardware specific? The new Samsung platform seems to be head & shoulders above Vive & Rift... so I would prefer to get that one all things being equal.

Does anyone know if RF8 will work with the Samsung Odyssey?

Last edited:
I have the Oculus Rift CV1 and it will be ideal. I'm excited by this VR release. This always starts a lively debate but the Oculus is foremost much lower in cost, lighter, & has better touch controllers. The resolution is the same as the HTC Vive. The Oculus is also I believe easier to setup with the sensors attached to nice sturdy stands. This sim will use the Interlink radio or similar so I expect the controllers won't make any difference even if they are used at all? The Oculus has been a favorite for use with Flight sims which don't need room scale VR. However, the Oculus now includes two sensors which works well for standing up and moving around. I bought a third sensor to improve on room scale movement but its arguable if the third sensor is really needed, it depends on the program.

A note for anyone planning on getting a VR headet. Clearly the developers will have a better idea than me on hardware requirements but to avoid motion sickness you need to purchase the fastest video card you can afford and the best at the moment is the nVidia GTX1080TI. I prefer MSI since their graphic cards have quiet, quality fans. I recently upgraded my PC from: Intel i7 4790K with 16GB DDR3 RAM & GTX1070, to Intel i7 7700K, 32GB DDR4 and a GTX1080TI and the motion sickness problem was much reduced. The faster DDR4 memory and the faster GPU and memory in the graphics card made a big different in increasing frame rates and so reducing motion sickness. I think now the lowest recommended graphics card is something like a GTX1060 but I'd suggest getting a GTX1080TI if you can these are not cheap. I'm not familiar with AMD chipset setups but I have a personal preference for Intel/nVidia which tends to be better supported, and dare I say it but Windows 10 64-bit works well for VR.

One further point. Some people are critical of Oculus since its part of Facebook who make a lot of money by monitoring peoples activities which most people voluntarily do by using their services. When you install the Oculus their software always boots up on startup. If that bothers you search Google for a small command line batch file called OSVRServiceOnOff.bat which someone put together. You can run it to turn off the Oculus software and then run it again when you want to use it.

Last edited:
Will it work with these...???

I just ordered the software, curious if it will work with either of these goggles?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/aomway...EST&utm_term=1100008731955&utm_content=Brands

https://www.amazon.com/Eachine-Gogg...508174473&sr=8-4&keywords=eachine+goggles+two

Both have an HDMI input from my PC's video card. Just curious if they will work using the VR environment. Both are essentially TV screens, one has (1) 5", and the other has 2 smaller ones similar to the the "Fat Sharks"...

Last edited:
Does that mean that VR software is hardware specific? The new Samsung platform seems to be head & shoulders above Vive & Rift... so I would prefer to get that one all things being equal.

Does anyone know if RF8 will work with the Samsung Odyssey?

With Samsung getting into the market< I have the same question..?? The Samsung specs are new generation technology, HTC and Oculus have been around awhile and represent older technology. They need to improve their product or be cast aside...

As you would expect, higher resolution displays will naturally put more demand on the computer running the software, just as a standard higher resolution computer monitor would. It's too soon to get specific about exactly what kinds of cards will run which kinds of headsets that aren't out yet. We will definitely keep an eye on developments in the VR space as new products are released.

To get a little more technical, we support the Oculus Rift by interfacing with their software, and we support the HTC Vive via OpenVR. While we haven't tested any other headsets, theoretically anything that supports OpenVR will work with RealFlight 8.

the windows mixed reality devices don't appear to support openVR (steam) out the door.. I think openVR is coming "soon".

the windows mixed reality devices don't appear to support openVR (steam) out the door.. I think openVR is coming "soon".

According to Samsung tech support, the HMD Odessey is Windows Mixed Reality and therefore does support Open VR and Steam VR content.

RF8 works with Vive through Open VR so it should work with any of the new WMR devices... theoretically.

Back