Off topic... Apple vs. PC

daycent said:
But again, like others have stated, it all boils down to personal preference. for my business and personal life, i need a computer that 'just works', as the apple ad says. i don't have time to chase down missing .dll's or wrong directory, registry issues, malware, spyware, viruses, and the likes.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Mac's too and I have a long history with them.

But the "just works" and "chase down missing .dll's or wrong directory, registry issues, malware, spyware, viruses, and the likes." is IMHO misleading.

Macs suffer the same ills as UNIX/BSD systems, but also benefit from their strengths.

With the Macs the average user cannot fix the issues that can comparably be fixed quite easily with PC's.

If you could do this on the Macs, then you could do something to "chase down missing .libs", "wrong directories", /etc folder issues, malware, spyware and viruses when it arises on the Macs.

What has kept the Macs running well, is that no one likes Microshaft's policies.
As such PC's are the biggest targets.

What has hamstrung the PC's is what Vista is trying to fix, is present on the Mac's but you can do nothing about, and what we all here deal with... and that is competing software installations and conflicting software.

Like the Mac's, Vista is trying to protect the core O.S. keeping it away from the user and the program installers.... yet this is what we have the MOST problems with!

We want out PC's to operate just like they did with XP... w/o those annoying protections...

The average Mac user ( and software developer ) "grew up" with with these inherent OS and software protections... it's a new world for the PC user... and Microsoft doesn't have it right yet.

Apple on the other hand borrowed "something old" and made "something new".

I could never do what I do to my PC with a MAC. "It just works" where's the fun in that LOL. I click and blink and there it is with any program. 3dsMax 9, Paint shop pro X, Photoshop CS3, you name it. This is the PC I'm currently playing with. Grant it the comparison is not quite fair as this is not realy an off the shelf PC :/

Impressive... CPU is faster than mine too. ( 2.6 OC'd to 2.8 QC )

I guess I need to swap out CPU to keep up with the "Jones's".

RCHeliAce said:
I could never do what I do to my PC with a MAC. "It just works" where's the fun in that LOL. I click and blink and there it is with any program. 3dsMax 9, Paint shop pro X, Photoshop CS3, you name it. This is the PC I'm currently playing with. Grant it the comparison is not quite fair as this is not realy an off the shelf PC :/

Nice.!!.
Not feeling the green...
.....but clean!!

Recty said:
I still wouldn't go with a Q6600 unless you're using applications that for sure utilize all 4 cores.

Right now the best bang for the buck is getting a E6750 which EASILY overlocks to 3.4Ghz. Most programs out there still dont even utilize the dual core, but at least you get it up to 3.4+Ghz so that your core is running fast, whereas you'll be doing good if you get the quad core up to 3.0Ghz and for that you'll never excellent cooling.

I've got the E6850 OC'd to 3.8Ghz and it is just crazy how fast it is.

6600 is for F@H.
My team is kickin, and my PC cant compete with a PS3. (I Have one folding, but cant compete with the other members that have 6 PS3's)

Im about to build a stand alone F@H box.

Thanks BKM72. I wasn't feeling the blue that was originally in the case. I am an NVIDIA fan boy I admit so I only thought it appropriate to go green :D

Oh and opjose 2.8GHz is not a bad speed. I'm sure I can help you get more out of it if you like. What CPU is it?

I run 3dsmax, XSI and Maya on the MAC with Parallels, realtime no less while in OSX. I am also playing COD4 in 1280x800 right now without any issues on my MacBook Pro, 2.4 c2d, 8600gt 256mb card.

I can't stress how fast and smooth the mac runs XP. The Macbook Pro was actually rated the fastest laptop to run Vista on heheh.

It's all good, I have just fallen in deep for the MAC and how smooth it runs EVERYTHING. Oh and my MMP's boot in to OSX Leopord in 8 seconds. I had a XP machine do that one time when it was a fresh lkoad with no apps installed, but it was more like 13-16 seconds.

Good luck in your decision.

raptormax said:
I run 3dsmax, XSI and Maya on the MAC with Parallels, realtime no less while in OSX. I am also playing COD4 in 1280x800 right now without any issues on my MacBook Pro, 2.4 c2d, 8600gt 256mb card.

I can't stress how fast and smooth the mac runs XP. The Macbook Pro was actually rated the fastest laptop to run Vista on heheh.

It's all good, I have just fallen in deep for the MAC and how smooth it runs EVERYTHING. Oh and my MMP's boot in to OSX Leopord in 8 seconds. I had a XP machine do that one time when it was a fresh lkoad with no apps installed, but it was more like 13-16 seconds.

Good luck in your decision.
:D:D

raptormax said:
...The Macbook Pro was actually rated the fastest laptop to run Vista on...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/selling-it/macbook-pro-fastest-windows-laptop-not-so-fast-331223.php

And one of the comments that someone made in response to that gizmodo article should be mentioned here as well...

The Guts of a new mac is the same as the guts of a pc now - and Apple may design, but outsources the construction of them to vendors that manufacturer PC parts as well. Arguing over which is faster running the same exact OS is just silly.

And besides... I have a custom gaming rig very similar to RCHeliAce but I use all Zalman air cooling and a Lian Li BW2000 full tower case and I run WinXP Pro sp3 RC1 2544, Vista Ultimate, and *gasp* Leopard on it, and I bet it's faster then all your Macs :p

E6600 @ 3.2ghz CNPS9700 cooler, SLI 8800GTXs Asus P523N-SLI Premium board.

NPO ;-)

BKM72, I just picked-up a PS-3, not so much to play games on (never could see the thrill in pressing buttons repeatedly), but saw the F@H option. Used to do that with 3 computers at home and 2 at work, but electricity cost bucks.

Just watched my first blu-ray movie last night on a 4 year-old HDTV, and my 5 year old surround system, and was blown away with the video and especially, the audio. Blown away.

This is the macbook difference between it and a PC laptop. No comparison to PCs. My brother-in-law has a macbook, and frankly, fell in love with the graphics capability.

Expensive usually keeps me out of the mac lineup. Maybe when I win the lottery, I'll buy several...

Charles

nonpareil_one said:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/selling-it/macbook-pro-fastest-windows-laptop-not-so-fast-331223.php

And one of the comments that someone made in response to that gizmodo article should be mentioned here as well...

The Guts of a new mac is the same as the guts of a pc now - and Apple may design, but outsources the construction of them to vendors that manufacturer PC parts as well. Arguing over which is faster running the same exact OS is just silly.

And besides... I have a custom gaming rig very similar to RCHeliAce but I use all Zalman air cooling and a Lian Li BW2000 full tower case and I run WinXP Pro sp3 RC1 2544, Vista Ultimate, and *gasp* Leopard on it, and I bet it's faster then all your Macs :p

E6600 @ 3.2ghz CNPS9700 cooler, SLI 8800GTXs Asus P523N-SLI Premium board.

NPO ;-)

Well i did trade my $4,000 PC build (qx6850, asus striker mb, 4gb ram, sli ultras, PC Power and Cooling 1kw psu etc etc) for a 17" MBP and could not be happier. Maybe because I don't game much anymore and growing out of that phase, I don't know.

Only draw back i see to running a hacked up version of OSX to run a PC is getting updates etc.

Everything has its strong point and weakness, plus you can't go wrong with FreeBSD with a pretty GUI.

Long live the virus protection software companies and upgrading hundreds of dollars of hardware to run the next installemnt of windoze. :) :) :)

RCHeliAce said:
Oh and opjose 2.8GHz is not a bad speed. I'm sure I can help you get more out of it if you like. What CPU is it?

I'm not unhappy with the performance as is and it is very stable this way.

Yours is just "faster"... which causes Mhz envy.... heh...

r1derbike said:
BKM72, I just picked-up a PS-3, not so much to play games on (never could see the thrill in pressing buttons repeatedly), but saw the F@H option. Used to do that with 3 computers at home and 2 at work, but electricity cost bucks.

Just watched my first blu-ray movie last night on a 4 year-old HDTV, and my 5 year old surround system, and was blown away with the video and especially, the audio. Blown away.

This is the macbook difference between it and a PC laptop. No comparison to PCs. My brother-in-law has a macbook, and frankly, fell in love with the graphics capability.

Expensive usually keeps me out of the mac lineup. Maybe when I win the lottery, I'll buy several...

Charles

Blue Ray is all I watch now. Just amazing.!!
I still love games though :) (just dont play very often anymore)
F@H screams on these things.

I bought it for the BlueRay capability, and because Gran Turismo 5 is coming out. That and it all syncs up with the Home Theater and the Wireless network.!!

I think the expense might be my biggest issue right now. I'd love to get one to play around on....but thats all I'd be doing. :rolleyes:

opjose said:
I'm not unhappy with the performance as is and it is very stable this way.

Yours is just "faster"... which causes Mhz envy.... heh...

Just thought I'd lend a hand if you want to go faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast. LOL Sometimes stable is better :rolleyes: That's why I backed down from 4.1GHz not a noticeable difference in speed from 3.9GHz just hotter and not as stable for long periods of time. 3.9GHz is like a rock and pretty cool considering the speed and vcore ;)

I am reminded of a while back when Mac went to Intel for their chips and everyone was all over trying to get a mac to run windows. I read a review of windows performance on bootcamp. They factored all the performance lost from doing the virtualization and the mac ran about 10-20% slower than a normal PC on applications on a mac. It was not entirely difinitive but in my own assesment the OSs are about the same in performance. I really think it is a matter of taste. I personally do not feel they are worth what you pay for them. A PC "works" if you just let it work. Its more easy to go into the windows OS and screw something up where as OSX is more difficult. As a more advanced PC user I find OSX to be cumbersome when doing more advanced things. I am more of a hardware kind of guy anyways but just my 0.02$

willsonman said:
I am reminded of a while back when Mac went to Intel for their chips and everyone was all over trying to get a mac to run windows. I read a review of windows performance on bootcamp. They factored all the performance lost from doing the virtualization and the mac ran about 10-20% slower than a normal PC on applications on a mac. It was not entirely difinitive but in my own assesment the OSs are about the same in performance. I really think it is a matter of taste. I personally do not feel they are worth what you pay for them. A PC "works" if you just let it work. Its more easy to go into the windows OS and screw something up where as OSX is more difficult. As a more advanced PC user I find OSX to be cumbersome when doing more advanced things. I am more of a hardware kind of guy anyways but just my 0.02$

I found it to be cumbersome as well at first. I went down to the Apple store for about a month on the weekends and asked lots of questions and played with them. After about 2 hours of play time I started to feel at home with it and it was getting easier and easier to move around and understand how it all works.

Back