On my new computer, interlinkDX controller won't work on 95.5s

More information needed;
Have you just acquired the "new" computer?
Have you ever used RF9 on that PC?
What are the specs or model number of the computer?
Does it have a 12th or 13th generation Intel CPU?
What do you see on screen, any error messages? or does the model just sit on the runway and the menu bar grayed out, (unable to select tabs)

More information needed;
What do you see on screen, any error messages? or does the model just sit on the runway and the menu bar grayed out, (unable to select tabs)
I used RF9.5s on my old HP computer. On my new, just acquired, MSI computer Windows (C) The model does shows but the bar is grayed out. I bought a USB Hub it but doesn't help. Not sure what a generation intel CPU is? Thanks in advance for your time & interest.
More information needed;

Plug in your InterLink DX. Then Press the Windows key + R (to run a program), and enter: joy.cpl

That will list all game devices (joysticks) attached to the computer. Does the controller appear there?

You don't need any drivers for the InterLink DX. It's a standard Windows game controller.

I used RF9.5s on my old HP computer. On my new, just acquired, MSI computer Windows (C) The model does shows but the bar is grayed out. I bought a USB Hub it but doesn't help. Not sure what a generation intel CPU is? Thanks in advance for your time & interest.
The grayed-out menu bar suggests your new laptop not fully communicating with RF9, possibly due to RF9 not using a discrete video card that your PC may or may not have, good news is, if a discrete video card is on the laptop RF9 will work, but if you only have the integrated Intel video card that is built into the CPU, RF9 may not work, (not even using the DXVK d3d9.dll fix).
So, it is important to let us know the make (HP, Dell Etc.) and the model number (Usually found on a label attached to the bottom of the laptop). Then we can search the manufacturers website and determine what your "new" PC is running on and advise you accordingly.

flightengr's advice will clearly tell whether it is an issue with your Interlink and it's connection, or not. Click on the "Properties" button, and you should be able to wiggle the sticks and see changes, to verify it is talking to the computer.

If it works in Windows, then we can move onto whether the PC itself is compatible with RF9 or not....

I've tried all of the above suggestions and the controller still won't work. I get the model sitting on the runway but no movement.
Maybe I need to purchase a Windows joystick? Will that make a difference?
The menu bar is still grayed out - so I can't calibrate the controller. If I can get the flight screen up but...? Very frustrated

More information needed;
I've tried all of the above suggestions and the controller still won't work. I get the model sitting on the runway but no movement.
Maybe I need to purchase a Windows joystick? Will that make a difference?
The menu bar is still grayed out - so I can't calibrate the controller. If I can get the flight screen up but...? Very frustrated
I don't see any answers to ASJ's questions. I have to assume that your new PC has an 11th-13th gen Intel CPU. RF9 uses DX9, which is not supported by the onboard graphics in those CPU's. And the symptoms of that lack of support in those CPU's are EXACTLY as you have described. Please give us more information about your new computer.

Last edited:
Type, "Device Manager" (less quotes) in the windows search box and select the Device Manager control panel program, click on the drop-down arrow next to "Display Adapters", do you only see the Intel Graphics listed (which is the video card integrated on the CPU) or do you have an extra video card that is available to use, notice on the attached picture that my computer shows two Display Adapters, Intel and Nvidia.Device Manager.jpg

While in the Device Manager, click on the "Processors" drop-down arrow and let us Know if your computer has a 12th or 13th Generation CPU.Processor.png

The controller or connection is then definitely an issue, but one last question - is the USB hub powered with a seperate wall plug and cord? Some systems need the extra "oomph" from an external power source....

But follow up on the questions about the rest of the system, too - you may be having double trouble.

Do you have only one display adapter listed in device manager? (see post # 12).

Do you have your "old" previous computer that you can plug the Dx controller into to test with the "joy.cpl" program?

The first screen to get displayed after you select the joy.cpl program is shown in picture #1, click on the "DX Controller" name, then select "Properties" and then the "Okay" tab.
When screen number 2 appears, move both sticks and flip all the switches and knob to calibrate the controller in Windows.

Attachments

• joy.cpl-1.jpg
    joy.cpl-1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6
  • joy.cpl-2.png
    joy.cpl-2.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes, the USB hub is powered with a separate plug and cord. That was the first thing I tried. No luck.
Now with your info I'll see if there is a difference. Thanks, I'm working on these suggestions and will get back to you.

I'ver tried all your suggestions. In the joy.cpl picture the "properties" is grayed out. Won't respond.

I think I'll have to get a Windows joystick. At this point it doesn't look good.

One last question: Is there a particular "Windows joy stick" for my Flight program? Or not?

Thanks again for your time & interest.

You won't find a game controller (joystick) that's going to feel like a real RC controller. Technically you can use an Xbox controller with RF. I did it for the heck of it, and it's definitely not the same experience.

This is kind of crazy since you know the InterLink DX is working properly with another computer. I've got to ask, does anything work in the USB port you're trying to use? I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with the USB port, either with drivers or with the wiring if it's a port on the front of the case. If you have a bunch of USB ports, I'd try different ones. Don't use a USB-C port, though. My experience with USB-C ports with Windows computers is that not all devices are willing to work with the USB-C port on the motherboard. Use an older USB-A port, as the InterLink DX is designed to work with old, slow USB 2.0 ports.

Although the plane sitting on the runway and not moving is indicative of another problem with your video card as other people have mentioned, and the fix may not be that easy with RF 9.5S. If you only have Intel integrated video and no other AMD or nVidia video card installed, just getting RF to work properly is going to be an uphill battle too.

Back