On my new computer, interlinkDX controller won't work on 95.5s

Before all hope is lost - windows can behave poorly, and hang on to bits and pieces from previous bad installs. Do the following exactly, to clean it up, and see if you can make Windows behave better.

Right click on the Windows button, and select "Settings"
Click on "Bluetooth & devices"
Then click on the line for "Devices"
Scroll down under Other Devices, and find the entry for InterLink-DX
Click on the 3 dots and then click on the only option "Remove Device"
The description will change to "Removing device"
Give it time to think (mine took about a full minute) and the entire entry will disappear.
If you have any other joysticks or game pads that were listed when you ran "joy.cpl", do the same for them.
Unplug the DX (and any others that you deleted).
Fully shut down the computer.
Restart. Wait until it has fully started like normal.
Plug your DX back in.
Again, wait a full minute for it to completely discover it (ie - just because it beeped, doesn't mean it is fully re-installed).
NOW run joy.cpl again.
Is it listed as the only device there?
Does the Properties button now work? If so, then start Real Flight, and see if you can get to the screen to set it up as a controller...
If it made it this far, it will continue to work in the future, and you can unplug, plug it back in as desired.

If you have other devices you also deleted, you can plug them in again, and they too should self install and work as before.
The Interlink will stay at the top of the joy.cpl list. There have been instances where if the Interlink is not the first thing in the list, it doesn't work correctly.

Last edited:
You won't find a game controller (joystick) that's going to feel like a real RC controller. Technically you can use an Xbox controller with RF. I did it for the heck of it, and it's definitely not the same experience.

This is kind of crazy since you know the InterLink DX is working properly with another computer. I've got to ask, does anything work in the USB port you're trying to use? I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with the USB port, either with drivers or with the wiring if it's a port on the front of the case. If you have a bunch of USB ports, I'd try different ones. Don't use a USB-C port, though. My experience with USB-C ports with Windows computers is that not all devices are willing to work with the USB-C port on the motherboard. Use an older USB-A port, as the InterLink DX is designed to work with old, slow USB 2.0 ports.

Although the plane sitting on the runway and not moving is indicative of another problem with your video card as other people have mentioned, and the fix may not be that easy with RF 9.5S. If you only have Intel integrated video and no other AMD or nVidia video card installed, just getting RF to work properly is going to be an uphill battle too.
Thanks! I'll show this info to a friend who originally set my 9.5 up on my computer, that one that died. Your info might be helpful.
He knows I'm having 9.5 trouble with my new computer.
I'll let you know. Might take a couple days.
And yes, the thought of not using my DX transmitter stinks!

To second what others have said:
  1. It is surprising that your InterLink DX, which works fine on another computer, does not work on the one in question even when connected via a USB hub. This must come down to some kind of USB issue with that computer. Definitely try the suggestions above (trying different USB ports is a very easy next step before attempting things that are move involved).
  2. You seem to be disregarding the point raised several times along the way here that based on the information you've provided--and completely separate from your controller issue--RealFlight won't run on the computer in question. Because RF9.5 requires DirectX 9 in order to run, and your computer's built-in graphics device does not support DirectX 9, RF will most likely appear to load successfully but then be completely unresponsive.
The solution to #2 is either to install a separate, dedicated graphics device (Nvidia is recommended over AMD), or upgrade to RealFlight Evolution which now runs on DirectX 11.

Back