Orientation Training

1024kb

I’ve been thinking about ways I can improve my helicopter orientation control skills. What I’d like to have is a helicopter model that just stays still in the centre of the screen, but reacts to the control inputs by rotating in the direction of the stick movements. I could then check I am putting in the right control movement first time and not guessing then correcting. I could rotate it sideways then ask myself which way to move the rudder to make the tail go up or invert it then ask which way to move the evevator to make the nose go down. Is it possible to amend the physics of a model to do this? It might also be useful for people practicing hovering aeroplanes.

I believe the command you are looking for is lockposition.

press ~ on the keyboard and the console will open up and you can type lockposition and hit enter. but I recommend typing bind L lockposition into console. which when you are flying you can hit L on the key board and lock/unlock the heli.

if you like this command and the bind you can type into the startup script startup.rfscript found here C:\Users\<your_name>\Documents\RealFlight 9\Scripts

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted.

I had to do it three times though. I thought I’d close the console using quit like with a dos window, closed the whole program. Tried again again with command exit closed the program… third time I noticed the cross up the corner.?.

ooo and I can set the timer to count down instead of up (not that I can fly long enough without crashing for it to reach zero). Lots of useful commands there. Thanks again.

This is going to be really useful. With the position fixed, I can really slow down helicopter manoeuvres such as piroflips and practice the correct control movements, then only have to learn the collective management.

Also an interesting experience with an aeroplane trying to get it to stand on it’s tail, with some wind to upset it’s orientation.

Back