P-47 "Razorback"

Heeleycopter said:
Thats looking real nice, whats the triangle count at? Are you gonna do a scale engine or an RC engine??

Thanks

It's right around 7000 right now. I think in the first post or two I mentioned I splurged a bit on the fuse polys....as I wanted a really nicely shaped, contoured, and smooth finish.

For my R.L. P-47 build the G-62 will be hidden behind a "dummy" radial. So for this I'll do one of three things:

1. Model a radial (depending on my available polys)
2. Model a basic radial, and also apply a radial image with the CS (Like I did on my Gee Bee R-2 project
3. Only apply a radial image to a flat disc. (Least favorite option...and least likely to use)

I dunno, I think that R2 had the perfect balance of both. While modeling a "dummy" would lok ever so slightly nicer... you could play around with bump mapping the "flat" part to give a little more depth to that area and save yourself some polys for other details, like a nice pilot or cockpit details. REally looking great for 7K!

Started adding some of the smaller detail items to the fuse (vents, scoops, shrouds, antenna and exhaust) Also in the new renders you can see the two piece main gear doors that I previously mentioned.

Edit: 7718 polys as seen in renders.

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (12).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (12).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P-47C Razorback (13).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (13).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P-47C Razorback (14).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (14).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Absolutely outstanding job on your wing wing roots. Am I seeing correctly that the cowl is separate from the fuse? breakable?

willsonman said:
Absolutely outstanding job on your wing wing roots. Am I seeing correctly that the cowl is separate from the fuse? breakable?

Thank you.

Correct the cowl is separate from the fuse. I typically model the cowls separate from the fuse / nacelles, but I have never made one breakable from it. Only reason: I've never modeled anything under the "hood" worth revealing.

As a note to you "southern" forum members.....enjoy the day and get out flying. Here in Minnesota it was a cool -24 when I got up this morning.....but now it has warmed up to a nice -13!

Added a couple more small detail items tonight, the main item was the "chin splitter" in the cowl. (I guess the splitter doesn't hardly show up in the latest attachments)

I figured I have done plenty of "rendered" shots....I thought I would switch things up a bit and give a some "wire frame" (working shots) snaps of the project. I have every edge of the model highlighted in red.

I always enjoy looking at the skeleton of a project, hopefully you do as well!

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (15).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (15).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P-47C Razorback (16).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (16).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 30
  • P-47C Razorback (17).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (17).jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P-47C Razorback (18).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (18).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 19
Out of curiosity... will you be making the trim tabs functional or was that for another purpose... I was just trying to justify the polygon use.

Impressive

I for one appreciate the extra effort it takes for a modeler to make it this clean, and how about those wing filets !

willsonman said:
Out of curiosity... will you be making the trim tabs functional or was that for another purpose... I was just trying to justify the polygon use.

Good eye! I'm not 100% certain what I will do with them. On the 314 I did make them functional (many moveable pods though) I think for the P-47 I did them just for looks. It helps break up the smooth look of the rudder and elevators, and gives a more detailed look (with minimal polys used)

Gotcha. I was just trying to think out how you could actually use trim tabs. Pods or control surfaces... Still a nice detailed touch for sure. With bump mapping now I would use that for that purpose but this is simple enough that if you have the polys use em! What are your plans for the cockpit?

willsonman said:
Gotcha. I was just trying to think out how you could actually use trim tabs. Pods or control surfaces... Still a nice detailed touch for sure. With bump mapping now I would use that for that purpose but this is simple enough that if you have the polys use em! What are your plans for the cockpit?

Check out the Boeing 314 Clipper I did a while back. I set the tabs as "boost tabs" using moveable pods. I forget exactly how I did it. I'd have to go back and look at the editor model. I believe it was like this:

(H-stab for example) H-stab was a sym. wing, elevator was a sym. moveable pod, boost tab was a sym. moveable pod. I had to made the elevator a moveable pod, because if I remember correctly you can't add a moveable pod to a control surface (or you couldn't in G4....haven't checked 4.5 ever)

Cockpit: Still up in the air yet.

I haven't been able to put much time on this in the last few days.....but I did manage to start on the main gear, and I also imported the radial over from the GeeBee R-2 project. For the time being I imported everything over (cylinders and all) but I'll plan to remove the same items I did for the finished GeeBee project. Also this is technically the wrong radial for the P-47, but as long as I don't tell anyone, nobody will notice. (I guess I just told everyone though)

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (19).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (19).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P-47C Razorback (20).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (20).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 40
pplace said:
Also this is technically the wrong radial for the P-47, but as long as I don't tell anyone, nobody will notice. (I guess I just told everyone though)
At this point it looks SUPER! Right radial, wrong radial... who cares! :)

I'm pretty much at the end of the modeling for the P-47 (aside from a cockpit....which I will do at a later date)

As it sits in the rendering (minus the modeled prop and complete radial) I'm sitting about 11,800 polys.

Since I last posted, I've finished the wheels, gear, and also the rear gear and shroud.

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (21).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (21).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 39
  • P-47C Razorback (22).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (22).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
doug schluter said:
Looking excellent pplace this ones a keeper for sure .

Thank you

Not much more to report....but I thought I would share a couple renders with the gear all "packed up" ready for export. I was glad to see the gear and tires all fit properly in the wing!

I did add a couple minor modeling details, and still plan on some more (I keep thinking of little things to tweak or add) but it is getting rather close to export into 3ds Max

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (23).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (23).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P-47C Razorback (24).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (24).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 30
Colorscheme:

I know in the first post or two I posted a profile of the colorscheme I planed for this model (or what I'm leaning on doing my real world build in)

I'm starting to second guess my choice? Thinking it might not have enough pazsaz (color) for the sim? (I think real life will be different as I can do more detailing / weathering to bring the natural aluminum finish out) But I still really like this scheme as it is so different than anything you normally see on the P-47.

I'll post another scheme that has interested me as well. If I could please get some input on what others like......or even post some interesting schemes you might like to see. (I just ask that it be a "razorback" scheme....and not a "bubble top" scheme)

In the attachment you can see that a portion of the cowl, h-stab, elevators, v-stab and rudder are left in raw aluminum.

(Also attached is a picture of the scheme I am currently planning on doing)

Attachments

• p47ml_28.JPG
    p47ml_28.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P-47D-23-RA 10AF 1944.jpg
    P-47D-23-RA 10AF 1944.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
P-47

The CS you are working on or planning on doing looks good to me and the other CS could be added later if desired,both are good.

It's in G4.5! I did the hierarchy and set most of the pivots (have always had troubles setting up gear axis pivots...on multiple axis rotations) so I have yet to get the gear and doors working correctly yet. None the less I applied a solid TGA so I could export / import the P-47 into G4.5 and start setting up the wire frame and physics.

Attached are a couple screen shots of the model currently. As you can see I have yet to add a spinner / prop hub. I am undecided if I want to model a scale 4-blade hub or a 2-blade like I will actually use on my RL build.

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (25).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (25).jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 41
  • P-47C Razorback (26).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (26).jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P-47C Razorback (27).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (27).jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 28
Back