PBY-5A Catalina

I'm done enough with this project! All I need to do is capture some screen shots, add a description in the editor and upload to the swaps. Watch for it in a short while.

The PBY-5A EA and additional CS are now available on the G4 swaps.

I could go on for weeks and weeks (maybe months) and never be officially finished with this project. So I'm saying enough is enough and I'm satisfied with this model! I need to move onto other projects also! I hope everyone enjoys this model.

There isn't too much difference between the "New" and the "Weathered" (weathered is included with EA download) I didn't go as drastic as I first planned to with the weathering.

Edit: I will try my best to get a G3.5 version out also. I talked with opjose and he gave me a couple ideas to simplify the process.

Model Info:

PBY-5A Super Catalina.....from the movie "Always"

The movie "Always", which stars Richard Dreyfuss, John Goodman, and Holly Hunter. "Always" is a remake of the 1943 movie "A Guy Named Joe".

In the movie, Dreyfuss and Goodman play hotshot firebomber pilots. Dreyfuss ("Pete" in the movie) flies a modified B-26C "Invader", and Goodman ("Al" in the movie) flies a modified PBY-5A "Catalina".

Flight controls:
Retracts: Right Toggle Switch
Wing Floats: 3 pos. Switch (Away = Down, Middle = partially up and Near = Fully up)
Also take note that when wing floats are in full down position there is a greater throttle curve for water takeoffs. Once airborne and floats are retracted....engine will go into lower throttle curve for more scale flight.

3D Model: pplace
Color Scheme: pplace
Flight Physics: pplace

Attachments

• PBY-5A (41).jpg
    PBY-5A (41).jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 19
  • PBY-5A (42).jpg
    PBY-5A (42).jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PBY-5A (44).jpg
    PBY-5A (44).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 22
  • PBY-5A (45).jpg
    PBY-5A (45).jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Just wanted to thank Haole for his compliments and comments on the PBY (on the swaps) He mentioned the throttle curve was "weird" and hard to get used to. "Could have been done without with just adding a bit more thrust...."

I really wish I could have gotten it by doing that....but truly it is such a fine line. I could get it to get "on the step" but the takeoff run was Sooooo long on the water. Then once airborne it had way too much power. Not a problem for me because I was flying around at 3/4 - 1/2 throttle for more scale. But if I were to bump any parameters down a bit.....it just wouldn't lift off? So this was the best idea I came up with to solve that issue.

Again, thanks for the comments. I hope everyone enjoys the model.

futuramafreak30 said:
Does this model have the turret/no turret option like you and DHK Were Discussing?

Unfortunately no. Due to limited polys that I had available I couldn't make it possible. Plus after I decided on the "Fire Eaters" CS I was more for that version anyways.

BigGuyJT said:
Truley amazing pplace!!! Any thoughts on doing the A-26 to go along with it?

Thanks...That would make for an interesting pair!?! I certainly would think about it, but for now want to focus my attention on the Cessna Bobcat "Bamboo Bomber" for a bit.

Also for you I will work on getting the PBY-5A converted over for G3.5.

Hey,

I'd like to reiterate that you did a fantastic job on this model. My comments about the throttle curves were because I am used to managing the left stick per the needs of the plane that I'm flying and rarely use WOT in real life unless I'm climbing out a glider.

Scenario: I was having trouble keeping a steady approach with a slow near-stall airspeed on final and then dropping the sponsons. The increase in revs was a touch unfamiliar and kept pushing me out of my approach lane because I wasn't reacting fast enough to the thrust increase.

Your PBY will hang on a stall very nicely once settled into that approach so the solution is to drop the tip sponsons before making final, that way you don't have to fight the sudden climb that comes with lowering the water gear.

Carl

pplace said:
Thanks...That would make for an interesting pair!?! I certainly would think about it, but for now want to focus my attention on the Cessna Bobcat "Bamboo Bomber" for a bit.

Also for you I will work on getting the PBY-5A converted over for G3.5.
Right on thank you very much!!!

Thanks to a great "walk through" from opjose I was able to get the G4 PBY-5A converted into G3.5

Only problem.....I dug my interlink out of storage only to find the 3 pos. switch busted out of it. I had to reverse the retract switch, the dual rates were fine, (no flab knob to worry about) so mainly I just wanted to know at what position the 3 pos. is in when the flaps are in the up, middle and down position. I have to send the G3X. file to someone to test it. Preferably someone with G4 also...so they can compare each version to make sure they are pretty similar in flight and controls.

I'll post it to the G3.5 swaps as soon as I can.

Wolf Phantom II said:
I would love to test it, i still have G3.5 installed on my computer. Great work!

Send me your e-mail in a pm and I'll get it off to you with an explination of what I want checked over.

pplace, the Cat is a beaut :D Thanks for the effort you put into it, she's fantastic!

If I ever get my Spad done, I may try to model an A-26 for my next attempt, I've always liked that plane and was thinking about trying it for RF. BTW, you've got me interested in the movie now, I may have to go out and get the DVD.

Also if you want to fix your busted 3-pos switch in the 3.5 interlink, I imagine all you need is a SPDT center-off switch from Radio Shack, soldering iron and some solder, and less than 10 minutes. Just make a note of which color wire is at the "top" of the switch and which is at the "bottom", and duplicate that. Should work fine :)

DH

Thank you very much DH. This was a fun project to work on....although it did drag on and get a bit tedious at times.

Have you seen the movie "Always" it's a pretty good flick.....except the had to go and ruin it by throwing in a "love story"haha

That's what I was planning to do with the 3 pos. switch. No need to send it in for something that minor.

Keep up the good work on your spad!

Blade backed out on testing the PBY in G3.5 I sent it to him and then he said he couldn't get at it for a few days.

Someone else interested and knowledgeable in setups please let me know. So I can get this posted for the G3 - G3.5 users

pplace said:
Have you seen the movie "Always" it's a pretty good flick.....except the had to go and ruin it by throwing in a "love story"haha

Nah, but I will! And yeah, they tend to ruin good movies by tossing in a "love story". James Cameron's "Titanic" for instance would have been a FANTASTIC movie if they'd just left out the bit about Jack & Rose boffing each other's brains out and stuck to the historical story.

DH

pplace, first off the model is great, and i made a cs for it, but when i drop the gear is there a drop in the throttel curve?

iflyinanh said:
pplace, first off the model is great, and i made a cs for it, but when i drop the gear is there a drop in the throttel curve?

Did you read the model description? The throttle curve change is with the float retraction.

Back