PC cable for Spektrum DX7 to be use in Realfligth Evolution simulator

frustated

Dear All:
A month ago, I purchased RealFlight Evolution and Spektrum Dongle WS2000 to use with my radio Spektrum DX7. Unfortunately, I encountered an issue as the system failed to recognize the game controller after installing the software. Despite numerous attempts to resolve this issue (1), I was unable to make it work. In light of this, I am seeking an alternative solution to use RealFlight with my Spektrum DX7 without the need for a cradle, and instead, by using a cable connected between the DX7 trainer connector and my USB PC port.

I kindly ask the RealFlight community if anyone knows the pin connections required to create an interface cable for this purpose or if there are any other references or suggestions that could help address this need. Any assistance from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

(1)In case anyone is interested in further details about this issue, I have already created two posts, both of which remain unresolved:
  1. "How to Install Spektrum DX7 + WS2000 with RealFlight Evolution"
  2. "Testing the Spektrum WS2000 dongle without RealFlight or Steam software"
Sincerely
Frustrated Paco

As far as post #2, you got sidetracked discussing non-microsoft software. Did you ever test using the suggestion in the first reply to the post (to use the native windows supplied "joy.cpl" utility to test the dongle)? That will definitely tell you:
a. If Windows can even see the dongle being connected as a USB device at all.
b. If the binding from your TX to the dongle is working correctly and passing the stick movements to Windows.

If you are really determined to do your own, there are a few youtube videos describing possible solutions. One is:

I have never tried any of the solutions, and have no idea if any will actually be seen by Windows as a joystick device (which is what Real Flight depends on). Any risk to your TX or computer is unknown, and you take your chances with damage to either.

Before preparing my own cable to connect the radio and computer, I was trying to test my Spectrum WS2000 on different family or friend's computers, testing its functionality with Joy.cpl. It's interesting, but on some computers, the system recognizes the Spectrum dongle immediately after running Joy.cpl, displaying a window on the screen with controls to test joystick and button positions, while on others it was not detected.

Back at my home, I tested it on my two computers - the old windows 10 desktop computer where Steam and Flight Simulator are installed, and the Windows 11 portable business computer where the Spectrum WS2000 was not detected before.

Surprisingly, the portable computer recognized the WS2000 despite previous unsuccessful attempts. I disconnected the WS2000 from the USB and tried again. The result was that it was detected randomly, sometimes yes and sometimes no. However, after several trials, I discovered that it always worked if, after connecting and pairing the WS2000 dongle to the USB, I unplugged and plugged in the WS2000. The USB light would start blinking, indicating an issue, but despite this situation, running Joy.cpl would surprisingly make the system recognize the WS2000 controller, and the window with all controls would appear on the screen, with the joystick and buttons working despite the WS2000 blinking.

Based on this experience, I repeated the same steps on my old desktop computer with Windows 10, with the same positive results. Following these actions, the Windows controller for WS2000 appeared, and Realflight Evolution started working properly for the first time. I flew different models and enjoyed my Flight Simulator with my Spektrum working without any problems. The only issue was that the pilot light on the WS2000 dongle was continuously blinking but system working which made me happy.

The next day, to my surprise, without disconnecting the dongle from the USB and after directly running Flight Simulator Evolution, it opened very quickly on my screen and was ready for the next flight. The pilot light on the WS2000 remained on without flashing. The system's behavior remained the same in the following days. After many hours spent figuring out how to make Flight Simulator work with Spektrum WS2000, I can now enjoy this product. I recommend this software and hardware, and I apologize for any confusion in my previous comments.

Thank you to everyone who has been answering my posts, and I apologize if my explanations are not clear enough due to my difficulties in using English. To summarize, I will provide the step-by-step process below.

1. Install Steam and Realflight Evolution simulator according to the system instructions.
  2. Insert Spektrum WS2000 with the button pressed into the USB port.
  3. Without releasing the WS2000 button, turn on your Spektrum radio in binding mode (turn on pressing the button in the back of the radio).
  4. Maintain this position with both buttons pressed until you hear some beeps, and the orange pilot light in the WS2000 is permanently on without blinking. After this, release both buttons.
  5. Disconnect the Spectrum WS2000 from the USB connector (Spektrum radio must remain on) and connect it again to the USB connector. Now, the WS2000's orange light is blinking, which is not a problem.
  6. Go directly to step 7 or run Joy.cpl if you want to test whether the controller is recognized, and the Spektrum joy controller appears.
  7. Run Realflight Evolution and fly (it doesn't matter if the orange light in WS2000 is still blinking).
  8. When you finish your flight, exit the programs and turn off your computer without disconnecting the WS2000 dongle from the USB connector. TURN OFF YOUR RADIO.
  9. In the next session, proceed as usual - turn on your computer, run Steam and Flight Simulator. The system will work properly again, but now with the orange pilot light on WS2000 continuously on, as expected according to the user manual.
  10. That's all, it's more difficult to explain than to do.
But today is Sunday I will do realfligth outside, I wish you nice Sunday.

Glad to hear you found a solution and got it working.

I might be reading that the WS2000 doesn't seem to work correctly in Windows until it's bound to a transmitter at least one time. We'll have to keep that in mind if a problem like this comes up again.

Back