Photofield vs 3D

cpeisher

Hey guys i'm still running 5.5 and wondering how difficult it would be to create my backyard pond site for a float plane into a RealFlight site. I see there is lots of information on Creating Photofield sites, but if i want to accurately model my site with water landings etc. it would seem that doing it from scratch with 3D objects would be easier. I've attached a tilted google view of what i'm trying to create. Assuming that i have zero experience designing the aircraft or flying sites would it be easier to do it one way or the other? Is one way more accurate than another? Are there any folks here who enjoy taking google images and creating flying sites out of the goodness of their hearts? ;)

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 23
It is HIGHLY unlikely that someone will do this for you, unless they happen to live next door and are so inclined.

Your best bet is to learn how to create 3D models as the modelers do here for Realflight planes.

Once you know how to do that, you can create objects and terrain that emulates your own airfield via the very same techniques.

Thanks for the replyt. I figured the gratuitous request was a long shot, but no harm in asking i guess :) So i should opt for creating a 3d model vs. doing a photofield?

A good photofield requires a perfectly level set of panoramic photos. of a perfectly level location/airfield, shot with a pano head tripod setup. The photos should be shot on a windless and cloudless day, preferably with the sun as high in the sky as possible.

Given the area you are talking about, doing things right requires a LOT of work aligning invisible 3D collision mesh objects, and the end result will be a single point of view.

Even then things like fences, etc. will not work correctly because of the limitations of a relatively cluttered background in the sim ( flat wide open areas work best ).

Given that, you're better off modeling the airfield from scratch in 3D, substituting already existing 3D objects to mimic your locale.

However you may have to resort to creating your own 3D objects to stand in for those things that do not already exist in the sim's library.... you can also create a 3D object that works as the actual terrain/ground too.

Doing it right is a big project and few expend the required effort.... but when everything clicks, the results are very good.

Back