Pilotable (functional) Aircraft carrier.

brields

I will begin work on a variant of one of the two available aircraft carrier models.
This variant will be pilotable, and able to land on.

that being said, what are some recommended lengths?

This has been tried before in G5 (ACBase i think it was called). The problem isn't landing on the carrier, its staying on the carrier if its moving since there isn't any grip between the 2 models. It was concluded a while back that the sim wasn't designed for what we were doing at the time. perhaps a work around would be the Grapple function that would allow the aircraft to hold onto the larger craft?

Yeah, it was tried. Could never get collision meshes to work right. Someone would break and become non-functional. It was always one or the other. The other issue was the bigger of an object for RF water the infinitely more draggy it gets. RF water is not simulated for boats.. its for floats! The thing was a slug and could never really get maneuverable.

General Reply

Well long, long ago in another life, there happened to be a pilot able carrier, I believe it was CVN-74. It had operational elevators and would go anywhere there was water.
You had to fly it like a normal aircraft and could not do it at the same time as and aircraft, so it could only be for a multi player situation unless you just wanted to pilot a boat around.
It was also used in several AP as static objects as well as traveling a set course in a couple of air ports.

They are all capable of landing aircraft on board. The issue with a moving carrier is as was stated you can land but the carrier will continue to move out from under you.\
That is due to the ever changing location lat lon information. the aircraft doesn't recognize the carriers location as a moving point and DOESN'T UPDATE ITS POSITION.

I will gladly provide more information and steer you in the right direction. PM or email as you desire and I will respond.

There are airports with the carrier of which I have spoken. Do a search for CVN-74 or just CVN. I think you will be surprised..............

Back