Pitching Ship Helipad Wanted

I was thinking, (ouch it hurts) ... It would be way cool to have a helicopter landing pad on the back of a ship that was pitching and rolling.

I don't know if it would even be possible. I don't think that you can whip the water up enough to simulate it. I think that the ship might be simulated like a roller coaster object. The rain, and wind would make it really cool.

Does anyone think that it might be possible to do? or why it is not possible?

I agree that would be cool. I don't think there's a good way to do that right now. Creating a roller coaster-type object is a good idea for a way to get that kind of movement, and might work well toward that end. But landing on it would probably be problematic.

The sim isn't designed with that sort of thing in mind. It doesn't really have a concept of objects moving smoothly from one place to another as far as collisions are concerned. They simply exist in one place, then the next "tick" they exist somewhere else. The movement is instantaneous. That's why trying to land on or otherwise interact with the subway train at the City Park airport in EP3 doesn't work very well.

Still, it might be worth a try. The results may be good enough for your purposes even if they are suboptimal.

We once had a ship designer here. If you are still out there, would you consider a ship with an aft heli deck. Did you notice, I even used a nautical term. :) I would then build the rocking roller coaster track.

Back