Plane Sound Problems with latest patch??

GPutt33

I just downloaded the latest upgrade/patch (Ver. 5.10.027). The engine sound is now not working. When I bring the plane into an area right in front of me it sounds normal, but as soon as I taxi out away it cuts out and it get's this odd high pitch to it which doesn't simulate any engine I know of. I tried crashing the plane and I could hear that I think like I should. When I hit the reset button I got about a one second burst of true engine sounds at the end of the runway and then it cut out again.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem. I tried re-starting the program and then did a re-start on the whole computer but neither of these helped. I went into the 'Options' and looked at all of the sound parameters and they all appear to be set correctly.

Anyone have any ideas

It's just you... :D

Seriously, try the following.

If you have multiple sound cards, disable the unused card.

Run the G5 launcher and reset G5 to it's defaults.

Then run G5, recalibrate the controller and see if the problem goes away.

If not run the DXDIAG and turn down the audio acceleration one notch, then try again.

Rinse lather and repeat as needed.

Hello All,

In recent updates the functionality for surround sound was added. This is great for those who would like to add the realism of surround sound (THANKS KNIFE EDGE!!).

One side effect of this added ability is that those whom are using a surround sound capable card, without the speakers required for surround sound may hear distorted and/or missing ("choppy") sound. Rest assured that this is a very simple fix though. Most likely your audio control panel (Microsoft and/or the manufacturer provided) is set for surround sound. If you do not have the required hardware, or speakers, the simulation will and audio control will be trying to send audio to channels that do not exist. To fix this, simply enter your audio control panel and ensure that the surround sound and/or speaker configuration matches what you actually have.

Thanks!

In his post about the add-on installer, the implications are that he does not work for KE, as he was worried about copyright issues on their part.

I'm confused?! :eek:

Last edited:
No Fix Yet

Hi Guys - Thanks for the responses but none of them have helped yet. I reset the default settings and tried kicking back the audio in the DX file notch by notch till it was off, but no change.

Computer is several years old and so I don't have any surround sound.

I also checked and only have the one sound card.

Like I said, it was working great before this patch, but something somewhere is still not quite right.

The card is the standard that came with the computer, nothing fancy, SOUNDMax Digital Audio.

Any other ideas (please)?

My Computer System Info

Well I hope something in here will help.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• G Putman Computer System Info - GPutt33.txt
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
Your sound card driver is ancient (1/27/2005) and there's probably is a newer driver for your video card as well (2/25/2009).

You should find the latest drivers and install them, we can go from there.

Last edited:
Updated Drivers

Hi Norton - I updated the drivers, re-checked dates and versions and the SOUNDMax driver is the exact same. I did several Google search's on it, and each one I tried ended up with the same results.

I re-started after each driver update install, tried G5 and still have the exact same results.

The only time I can hear the plane like I should is when it's almost on top of me. As soon as I taxi away and get approx. 10ft away I loose the sound. On fly-bys the gasser's sound like a 2 stroke glow cutting out.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Two things to try:

- If you have the latest SoundMax drivers, you also got the control panel that features all sorts of effects. Make sure that ALL effects are turned OFF.

If that does not fix the problem, run dxdiag and turn DOWN the DX sound acceleration as I mentioned.

It WILL fix the problem, but it will cost more CPU cycles to do so for each notch of the settings.

So try one notch at a time.

Problem finally solved :)

I went in and checked the control panel out since I tried downloading the new driver and it WAS different. Went to advanced speaker settings and I guess by default it was set to a 5.1 Surrond Sound setting. Changed it to two desktop stereo speakers and it is now working perfect. :)

Thanks all for the help.

Hi,

Just got the copy yesterday. I have similar audio problem. The engine sound is funny and the instructor in the virtual traing sounds choppy and almost every word is repeated twice (i.e. Hello hello, my name my name is Brian Brian Bremer Bremer. Today we are gonna gonna to work on work on getting getting you to hover hover. ..."

My PC has Win7 with USB 2.1 Audio. The audio driver is up-to-date. The control panel has only 5.1 sourround. I unchecked the center and satelite speakers from the setup, however it does not make any difference. The system info is attached.

The training program is better than Phoenix but the audio is killing me. :(

What else can I try?

Thanks

Attachments

• SystemInfo.txt
    179.6 KB · Views: 2
But... I am a noob!

Seriuosly, setting the difficulty level to advanced makes huge difference. :) Now I can pratice and enjoy it. :cool:

Thanks for the tips. You rock Jeff.

Back