Please give me your feedback

What type of new features are most important?

• Better visuals

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Better physics

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • New content (aircraft, airports, sounds)

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • New application features

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats the point. Its in beta right now and there are limited users. Create your own session and make it planes only. Try inviting others to participate rather than assuming others will invite you. I had 6.5 about an hour after it was available.

I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that it would be nice if anyone with version 4 and up could fly together. Right now, they can't. There are a lot of people in my club that are still running version 4.5 and 5.5 that I cannot fly with.

I'm with csgill75. DX11 would be an awesome addition to the sim.

While I voted for physics, I had to think about it. I will say that from a marketing point of view, it is probably easier to sell the snazzy new graphics. They might need to wait a version or so before they market another change in the physics engine as the big attraction.

I think that with DX11 and if PhysicX was implemented we would see different physics with the models as they interacted with the environment. It would be a whole new simulator and would probably be the best on the market by a huge margin.

As much as I enjoy flying something new, It's no fun when you can't use it in a
multiplayer game. I'd like to see some new application features, such as having the ME-109 available for warbird combat.

Last edited:
Improvement to helis sound engine for example the nitro variants and realistic blade sound for newer versions of RF

Agree with Jeff about the editor controls. It is very difficult to position and zoom to see the details at times.
More than once, I've just about got the view I wanted and the mouse pointer then lands on another part and the scene shifts..
Or, because of the pivot location, the view can't be moved just quite far enough..
Also, the model in the editor has a rather washed out look. Some controls to change the colors or contrast would allow users to better view the model in the editor, and may allow them to also compensate for monitor graphics quality/age,
Maybe even multiple view ports (or assignment to multiple monitors for those who have them)?
And yes, it would be useful at times to zoom much closer. The same applies to a locked model using pan and zoom in the sim itself. There are ways around it (learned that by having to add a camera to check push rod motion) , but just having a closer zoom would be easier.

Linear motion:
The linear motion of servo arms, push rods, and canopies are presently approximated with a large radius. While not impossible, setting up is rather labor intensive and "trial and error". True linear action would hopefully make those tasks both easier and better, including perhaps, movements through more than one axis. If LM is not in the works, then how about graphical marker(s) showing each radius arm(s) used of a moveable pod?

Sounds:
Great work is being done on custom engines sounds, and it would be nice to see that idea expanded. For example, the "drum" sound on landing. It is apparently system specific as some hear it and others don't. The ability to edit or add your own landing and roll out sounds (such as taken from a real world in flight recorder) would be good.

The HD version of one graphics AP has music in the background. I do not know if that music is a separate file users can change. If not, being able to change it would allow more realistic flying field sounds like people talking, pilots trying to get a stubborn glow/gas engine started (sorry guys, couldn't let that one get by :)), or other planes flying nearby.

Perhaps another place for sounds for those making scale models of real world aircraft would be those made by retract gear/doors.

On a related note, how about some computer controlled movement of other planes or helis? Something like FSX had.
Realize that might be a performance crusher, so perhaps only doing so to a limited and optional extent.
Or, how about using a RF recording as a scene animation? Must be the same AP and pilot spawn of course.

Water:
Guess this falls under visuals and maybe physics. It's difficult describe in words, but way the planes interact with the water surface just doesn't look right. It may be a physics setting or something in a plane being brought in from an older version, but the planes seem to bounce up and down at landing far too quickly to look real (maybe that is a pivot location issue?). The planes also stop too quickly, like they are landing on honey not water. There is a setting to improve that, but to me, it still doesn't look quite right. Again, difficult to put it into words. Perhaps part of the issue is that-- as far as I recall-- the majority of the those planes are land versions converted to floats. Perhaps a plane with greater mass (such as one of the Clipper ships from the 30's) would logically ride deeper in the water and move differently.

Propellers:
In the real world, they break on impact. Also, they DO fatigue at the hub and lose blades. RF props seem to come from the same world as Superman.
The same super strength can be said about the ability of retracts to open and lift a plane onto it's wheels.
This may already be in RF, so feel to correct me if I'm wrong: the cheap nylon prop tips visibly flex with changes in RPM. Those props may no longer be made in the real world (for fatigue/safety reasons) or are not supported in RF?

Airfoil editor:

There is a huge number of airfoils in the library to choose from (thank you for that BTW), but searching controls could be improved. For example, on the Tri Squire it would have been nice for search results of only the flat bottom airfoils within a range of % thickness.

Wind:
In the real world, the wind can come from any direction on any given day. How about an option to randomly change the wind direction with each reset? Or randomly change it during the flight (i.e. weather front moves in). With the setting of the sun, wind commonly dies down-- might be interesting for those slope flying if their flight lasts long enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree with Jeff about the editor controls. It is very difficult to position and zoom to see the details at times.
More than once, I've just about got the view I wanted and the mouse pointer then lands on another part and the scene shifts..
Or, because of the pivot location, the view can't be moved just quite far enough..
Also, the model in the editor has a rather washed out look. Some controls to change the colors or contrast would allow users to better view the model in the editor, and may allow them to also compensate for monitor graphics quality/age,
Maybe even multiple view ports (or assignment to multiple monitors for those who have them)?
And yes, it would be useful at times to zoom much closer. The same applies to a locked model using pan and zoom in the sim itself. There are ways around it (learned that by having to add a camera to check push rod motion) , but just having a closer zoom would be easier.

Linear motion:
The linear motion of servo arms, push rods, and canopies are presently approximated with a large radius. While not impossible, setting up is rather labor intensive and "trial and error". True linear action would hopefully make those tasks both easier and better, including perhaps, movements through more than one axis. If LM is not in the works, then how about graphical marker(s) showing each radius arm(s) used of a moveable pod?

Sounds:
Great work is being done on custom engines sounds, and it would be nice to see that idea expanded. For example, the "drum" sound on landing. It is apparently system specific as some hear it and others don't. The ability to edit or add your own landing and roll out sounds (such as taken from a real world in flight recorder) would be good.

The HD version of one graphics AP has music in the background. I do not know if that music is a separate file users can change. If not, being able to change it would allow more realistic flying field sounds like people talking, pilots trying to get a stubborn glow/gas engine started (sorry guys, couldn't let that one get by :)), or other planes flying nearby.

Perhaps another place for sounds for those making scale models of real world aircraft would be those made by retract gear/doors.

On a related note, how about some computer controlled movement of other planes or helis? Something like FSX had.
Realize that might be a performance crusher, so perhaps only doing so to a limited and optional extent.
Or, how about using a RF recording as a scene animation? Must be the same AP and pilot spawn of course.

Water:
Guess this falls under visuals and maybe physics. It's difficult describe in words, but way the planes interact with the water surface just doesn't look right. It may be a physics setting or something in a plane being brought in from an older version, but the planes seem to bounce up and down at landing far too quickly to look real (maybe that is a pivot location issue?). The planes also stop too quickly, like they are landing on honey not water. There is a setting to improve that, but to me, it still doesn't look quite right. Again, difficult to put it into words. Perhaps part of the issue is that-- as far as I recall-- the majority of the those planes are land versions converted to floats. Perhaps a plane with greater mass (such as one of the Clipper ships from the 30's) would logically ride deeper in the water and move differently.

Propellers:
In the real world, they break on impact. Also, they DO fatigue at the hub and lose blades. RF props seem to come from the same world as Superman.
The same super strength can be said about the ability of retracts to open and lift a plane onto it's wheels.
This may already be in RF, so feel to correct me if I'm wrong: the cheap nylon prop tips visibly flex with changes in RPM. Those props may no longer be made in the real world (for fatigue/safety reasons) or are not supported in RF?

Airfoil editor:

There is a huge number of airfoils in the library to choose from (thank you for that BTW), but searching controls could be improved. For example, on the Tri Squire it would have been nice for search results of only the flat bottom airfoils within a range of % thickness.

Wind:
In the real world, the wind can come from any direction on any given day. How about an option to randomly change the wind direction with each reset? Or randomly change it during the flight (i.e. weather front moves in). With the setting of the sun, wind commonly dies down-- might be interesting for those slope flying if their flight lasts long enough.

Just my 2 cents.

HAHA more like 40 dollars. :p

True linear motion is possible now. I've used it a couple times, once on the Dewoitine and again on the upcoming Radial Rocket. It takes a bit of work, but it's true linear motion, not a semi-arc of a huge circle.

Improvement to helis sound engine for example the nitro variants and realistic blade sound for newer versions of RF

This is already available. you can create your own sound files for the engines. and add them to the existing rotor sounds for a better effect if you choose.

DirectX 9 is going to be celebrating it's 10th birthday in December I vote VISUALS!

What's that, about 88 in dog years and 800 or so in computer years?

It's LONG overdue for burial!

---

Hey Jim, ditch the advice of the media superstar "experts".

They simply DO NOT spend enough time in the sim nor perform 1-to-1 comparisons while say at a flying field.

As someone here once mentioned, find someone WILLING to practice FAI routines on the sim, who will underscore the shortcomings, and you'll get great feedback about physics... likewise something similiar is needed for helis.

Last edited:
Helis still need better physics. Sounds also have some importance relating to helis.

I am still up for field to sim findings.

Still very unhappy with the new gyro menu also, should be an option for the G3-G5.5 gyro menu.

DEATH TO THE BLUE SMIRFS... I hate those representations.. just give me a real looking aircraft or maybe a random aircraft that I have on my system.

Fix the collision objects (can't see them to move them) and their placement at both ends of the runway at the Liars field too!

Last edited:
Back