Port forwarding questions and help thread.

access to router

just for information.

To get acces to the router,

- Write http://192.168.1.1/start.htm in your internet explore.
I use Netgear router

If you havn't changed your user/password for your router,
you can google the "stock" user/password. (try admin and password)

- if you running on wireless, check the server Ip address' for your PC
ex.: 192.168.1.2

- open the right port ports
I have open port 61234-61250 for IP 192.168.1.2 (laptop)
and 61300-61316 for IP 192.168.1.2 (laptop)

Please notice that if an other laptop/pc have logon on your wireless, then taht laptop might get the Ip address that you have opened for your "realflight" laptop.

ChopperKnud

Last edited:
Setup a Static IP address

Google for this message topic. It will explain how to set up a static INTERNAL IP address for your computer on your router network. Some modems are both modems and routers. If you can plug in more that one network wire, it is a router combination. Static IP addresses are important when more than one computer has access to the router. The first computer connected will get the first address. The port forwarding you have set up for the first IP address will be grabbed by that computer and you will not be able to get into RF MP with a subsequently connected computer. With wireless, some outsider may be grabbing an address as you are booting up, even if they don't actually get connected.... Always setup the security on your wireless router.

What I have done is set 192.168.1.20 as the default static IP address for my computer that uses Real Flight in Multi-Player MP mode. You will have to use the appropriate address for your LAN. You may also have to expand the range of valid IP addresses if you choose one that is rather large. Usually 1-10 as the last number will do. (I have many IPs and switches in my network)

Using this technique you will be assured that each time you restart your router or computer the proper connection will be made. After making changes, I usually restart/cold reboot both computer and router to insure proper changes were made.

When complete you should verify the IP address by typing; cmd in the 'Start', 'Run' command box. When the DOS command window opens type; ipconfig /all and the details of your connection will be displayed.

Last edited:
You won't find anybody qualified to answer your question that would not say that it is a good idea to close your ports when you don't need them to be open.

What if your ports are blocked by your IP. I have opened them up on my router, windows, and Internet security program and can't get .47 to work because it tells me my ports are not open.

lztat573 said:
What if your ports are blocked by your IP.
I assume you mean Internet Service Provider. Then you'd have to have your ISP unblock those ports.

How did you reach that conclusion? I think that it is more likely that you are doing something wrong. Did you call your IP (sp ISP)? Pardon my skepticism, but experience indicates otherwise. Read your router's user manual and search the internet for help with your brand of equipment. Restart the equipment after making the setting changes.

lztat573 said:
What if your ports are blocked by your IP. I have opened them up on my router, windows, and Internet security program and can't get .47 to work because it tells me my ports are not open.

Last edited:
lztat573 said:

If your ports are blocked by your provider you would need to contact them. However, as others have already stated, the likelihood of that being the case is pretty slim.

More than likely you are overlooking a simple configuration step. Have a look around at some of the other threads dealing with this and you'll see what I'm talking about. https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23398 is a good example of a configuration problem that can cause a lot of confusion. It's usually something very simple that has been overlooked or changed inadvertently that is causing the problem.

Recheck your configuration and make sure you have everything setup correctly. Check your router manufacturer's web site for updated firmware and documentation. If you are using any third party firewall or "Internet Security" suites you will need to allow the ports in those as well. Check the sites for those applications and make sure you read the documentation regarding how to open ports or allow inbound connections.

If you use windows firewall run the following commands to open the proper ports. Even if you don't use windows firewall run these commands and then they'll be open if you ever should need to use it later.

Range 1

Code:
for /L %i in (61234,1,61250) do netsh firewall add portopening UDP %i "RealFlight MultiPlayer Port Range 1 - UDP %i"

Range 2

Code:
for /L %i in (61300,1,61316) do netsh firewall add portopening UDP %i "RealFlight MultiPlayer Port Range 2 - UDP %i"

Then download the pfportchecker tool and run it against your computer to see if your ports are open.

If you still can't get it working post some information about your configuration in the form of your router make, model and version numbers, screenshots of your router port forwarding configuration page(s), screenshot of the output of the "ipconfig /all" command, and attach the ports.txt file produced by the "netsh firewall show portopening >> c:\ports.txt" command. You could also include the technical support document produced by this process.

If you get all of that information together someone should be able to help you out. Take your time and be methodical, you'll find your issue.

Hay all. i am having the same prob still. opening all 34 ports on windows Fire wall did the port range on the router ans opened the DMZ for the IP Addy that Port checker gave me still nothing. but i am learning a lot a bought networking i didn't know

Navy_1 said:
Hay all. i am having the same prob still. opening all 34 ports on windows Fire wall did the port range on the router ans opened the DMZ for the IP Addy that Port checker gave me still nothing. but i am learning a lot a bought networking i didn't know

Send the screen shots and information I requested from lztat573 in my last post.

EDIT: And turn off DMZ!!!

Last edited:
047 multiplayer

i couldn't get 047 it to connect but i downgraded to 036 and it connects ok so i will stay there for now

sommd said:
i couldn't get 047 it to connect but i downgraded to 036 and it connects ok so i will stay there for now
Odd first post. This thread is for questions, but you didn't ask one. Are you interested in learning how to configure your equipment? After all, it will ultimately be a more enjoyable multiplayer experience for you.

I thought the same thing maj., when I read that earlier. You know what's going to happen. After a few weeks or months, the only people that will be left on .036 are those who can't/won't forward their ports. Most of us know how frustating it is dealing with the aftermath. Crashed sessions, etc. Then those people will be complaining to tech support that MP keeps failing. And the beat goes on...

sommd said:

I thought this was a port forwarding help thread not a thread for which version you like better. The fact that you didn't post any info on your port forwarding or lack thereof, makes me agree with Jeffpn.(which I hate to agree with...More fun to disagree) :)

so do a little simple thing (forward the correct ports) and try 050. Believe me it works much better than 036. (I say that from experience). If you need any help with it there are people here that will do their best to help you. You're eventually going to have to do it so why not give it a shot...the worst that can happen is you can go back to 036.

I wanted to send a PM to Chris, but it says his box is full, so I thought this might be a good place - hopefully he'll see it and can respond.

I am using version G4.50.047 and I wanted to let you know about a consistent scenario that I've been having with regards to multiplayer.

-- Click on multiplayer.
-- Click join.
-- Click search
-- After it goes through the search and port verification etc... it comes up with the port forwarding error (but i've got that turned on on my router).
-- I can do that as many times as I want, nothing else ever happens....BUT...
-- If I close out of that multiplayer popup window, and I then click on multiplayer again... click join, click search.. it finds whatever sessions are available, and I can join them and have no problems.

Note: I have a webcam with a mic that I use and I can see it light up my mic on the screen, but no one ever responds.. I don't know if they here me or not... I know you're working on that aspect with later versions, so I won't worry with that much. I just wanted to let you know of the CONSISTENT behaviour I'm having with .047.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Back