Port forwarding questions and help thread.

jeffpn said:
I thought the same thing maj., when I read that earlier. You know what's going to happen. After a few weeks or months, the only people that will be left on .036 are those who can't/won't forward their ports. Most of us know how frustating it is dealing with the aftermath. Crashed sessions, etc. Then those people will be complaining to tech support that MP keeps failing. And the beat goes on...
Think you nailed that one jeff :D

hopkinsja said:
I just wanted to let you know of the CONSISTENT behaviour I'm having with .047.

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Try updating to .050. Instructions are in the News and Announcements section.

hopkinsja said:
I wanted to send a PM to Chris, but it says his box is full, so I thought this might be a good place - hopefully he'll see it and can respond.

I am using version G4.50.047 and I wanted to let you know about a consistent scenario that I've been having with regards to multiplayer.

-- Click on multiplayer.
-- Click join.
-- Click search
-- After it goes through the search and port verification etc... it comes up with the port forwarding error (but i've got that turned on on my router).
-- I can do that as many times as I want, nothing else ever happens....BUT...
-- If I close out of that multiplayer popup window, and I then click on multiplayer again... click join, click search.. it finds whatever sessions are available, and I can join them and have no problems.

Note: I have a webcam with a mic that I use and I can see it light up my mic on the screen, but no one ever responds.. I don't know if they here me or not... I know you're working on that aspect with later versions, so I won't worry with that much. I just wanted to let you know of the CONSISTENT behaviour I'm having with .047.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Try the newest beta out there .050, then post your results in the 050 thread. It does not sound like you have a port forwarding issue.

Something else might be going on. Sorry about my pm box being full. I have cleared it out now.

Thanks Chris McVey

Sorry i haven't responded but been busy. Here are some screen shots of my router and windows firewall port forwarding. that I have done I have Kaspersky Internet security and I found the fort forwarding section before, but can't find out how i found it when i opened the ports, maybe someone can help here. I have ran the test and it says ports are not open, and yes the IP is supposed to be ISP, Internet servers provider. I have not had time to talk to them. I know that they have a security system in place, because when we tried to open some ports for wow.

Attachments

• windows ports.jpg
    windows ports.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 14
  • netgear ports.jpg
    netgear ports.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 35
lztat573 said:
Sorry i haven't responded but been busy. Here are some screen shots of my router and windows firewall port forwarding. that I have done I have Kaspersky Internet security and I found the fort forwarding section before, but can't find out how i found it when i opened the ports, maybe someone can help here. I have ran the test and it says ports are not open, and yes the IP is supposed to be ISP, Internet servers provider. I have not had time to talk to them. I know that they have a security system in place, because when we tried to open some ports for wow.

Please include all the information requested here

ok i have attached a copy of my router settings and my DXDIAG. still cant get on line.

RF tech support sucks!. on 2 different problems their was 1 attempt to fix the problem with the full screen issue and then they stopped replying. and then i sent a e-mail on this issue and i got 1 e-mail telling me to download PFportchecker and check the forums. i replied and nothing back. for a program that we all payed 200.00+ for i would expect top notch tech support.

I am using a Linksys WRT54G i have PCcillin with out the firewall installed. i am using Windows fire wall. and i have add all 32 or 34 wich ever it is, ports to it

Attachments

• router.JPG
    router.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DxDiag.txt
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IPCONFIG.JPG
    IPCONFIG.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Navy_1, would you also post a screenie of an ipconfig/all command? Do this from a DOS prompt. What kind of Internet security software do you have running? Norton, Symantac, BitDefender, etc? What about your modem? What make and model is it?

Hello Navy_1,

Tech support works very hard to help as many people as they can. They try to respond to as many E-mails that time allows. In the future call tech support.

Before your next post please read the rules of behavior for our Knife Edge forums.

People on the forums will try to help you with your hardware issues. Give them as much info as you can to further help solve the issues.

Thanks Chris McVey

Up dated my reply. with the required info.

Don't meat to upset the Admin's. by bashing Tech Support. i am Active duty and Live in Japan i would have to stay up un-till almost midnight or get up stupid early to call them. i have had nothing but Help from the forums. and every body has been very informative. i have even gotten e-mails and PM trying to fix this, from the community.

Navy_1:

I have the same router, and it works great with G4.5's Multiplayer.

I notice that you have DHCP enabled, to let your PC obtain IP addresses from the router automatically.

You'll find that the help for the router suggests NOT using DHCP for the target machine if you are port forwarding.

I would also disable Windows Firewall ( your router is your firewall ) at the least until you get multiplayer running.

Also your diagnostic dump is incomplete, so a lot of info is missing, which may help.

Make sure that you have no other programs or products installed that actively intervene with Internet access... such as Norton Internet Security, etc.

In some cases even though you may have set these programs up correctly for port forwarding, they can still interfere in unseen ways.

And then even uninstalling the program, will not undo the damage done.

AOL software is another notorious culprit...

Yes that is correct.

That setting changes if you are using Window's own Internet Connection Sharing service.

Navy_1, I don't know if you've got your problem figured out yet, but what kind of modem are you using? I see you have the Linksys router, but you didn't mention your modem.

Navy_1, try removing your router from your setup. Connect your computer directly to your modem. You'll have to get a new IP address issued (Reboot your computer.) Then try running RF. If you still can't join a MP session, then something is amiss with the software you are running. If you can join, you'll have to look into your router settings.

OK i will have a look at that and see what i get. but it worked fine till the up date, then nothing. and out of all my games, i play in line(i.e. Battlefield 2, World of war craft, call of duty 4, FlightsimX, command and conquer, and Unreal tournament III and Americans Army. this is the only game i remotely have any problem with. the only way i can see to fix this on the software side is to do a clean install of windows. i don't have any other stand alone fire wall. and my Virus scanner doesn't have one built in to it. by removeing the router. i lose my X-box,PS3,Wii, PSP and my laptop. this seams like a lot to go through. i am not the only one having this issue. is it a remote possable that its a programing issue with the code?

Navy_1 said:
is it a remote possable that its a programing issue with the code?
My MP works fine. So it can't be a programming issue. I only want you to remove your router long enough to see if you can get mp to work. If your modem and your router are next to each other, it's only a matter of unplugging your RF computer from the router, and plugging it into the modem directly. Make sure you do a ipconfig/release and an ipconfig/renew on the RF machine (or reboot the machine, same results). If it works, then we need to look at your router/NAT setup. If it still doesn't work, then it's probably software that you have on your computer preventing the connection.

Last edited:
using .050
I can join and host sessions at will
but have this one reaccuring problem
If after exiting a MP session
and If I leave 4.5 "idle" for more than an hour after joining or hosting
like if I fly in single mode , go to the forum or run to the store
When I come back and try to join a session I'll all ways FAIL the "port check test"
and have to reboot my pc ....
then every thing works again?
I can join and exit mp all day long without any problems
until I stay out of mp for and hour or so???
no biggie just thought I'd report it

Also still have the interlink "not found" ?? problem every once in a while
(with "explorer" using only 450-550 "handles" when it happens)

Last edited:
Back