Possible feature?

Fidd88

So I've spent the last week circuit-bashing, trying to get more and more consistancy. After becoming more familiar with the software, it seems to me it would be very useful to have a "view from above" and a "view from the runway end" so that one can see the whether to trails left from the wing-tips describe nice rectangles and the decent and climb paths maintain the runway centre-line.

If this can already be done at a "photofield" please let me know how, if not, perhaps it can be added. There'd be no need for either of these post-flight recorded views to render the photofield, just a line for the runway centre-line...

A photofield is, of course, photographed from a single position in the entire world. You cannot change that position in the software. You could photograph the field from anywhere on the ground(at either end of the runway). I do not think that you can photograph from above and have the viewpoint above the field and look down. This can be accomplished with a 3D rendered field because everything is computer generated. So, there is no way to do this in software.

I realise that, I was suggesting that when this view was applied you'd see none of the photofield elements, just a single line for the runway, and a top-down view of the circuit trail trace.

You can move the pilot position around on a photofield in the editor but you don't always end up where you think. You can also add 3D objects to one.

It's not the pilots view I'm after, it's simply a top down view of the trace of the flightpath, so I can tell if I'm achieving a rectangular circuit - or not.

the over head helper may help in that respect. press 7 on the keyboard or from the gadgets drop down menu

The overhead works fine for me, most of the time, but slug trails in the overhead would be nice option.

To be honest, I would really love to have the ability to export the view trails to analyze out of the sim. It's much easier to identify problem areas of pattern flights against a grid with the ability to observe and query from any location in 3d space than in the sim, even with the trails and ability to move the viewpoint.

once you have landed (before you reset) you can walk around and see the flight trails using wasd keys. you can in see the trails from higher up by pressing Q to enter flying camera mode and wasd to move around. then when you are ready to fly again press the X key

Understood and agreed. I'm just aware of the advantage of removing perspective and background when trying to see lines, arcs, relative orientations, etc. Comes from about 35 years of CAD experience. Realism is great for many things, but visual analysis of line orientation, arc radii, etc. in 3D are not among them!

As an aside, how much thrust is required if there are two pigs with a brick tethered between them?

Back