Presentaion of the aircraft in the "Designers Contest"

A very humbled modeler here. Congrats to all. It really has been a wonderful road to follow thus far and I look forward to the judging sheets. Its nice to know what people look for specifically. A special thank you again to George for all of his positive contributions to this.

Congrats to the winners!

We all won though with 8 really awesome aircraft to play with.

Thanks a lot for the effort, designers! :D

Meet the Judges

Please know that the way this contest was set up was done by having a complete discussion with all contestants, discussing how they wanted it as well as how I wanted it. We all agreed or it wasn't done.

This was a "Double Blind" contest. What that means is the contestants will not know who the judges are. The judges will know who the contestants are, but they will no know which contestant entered which aircraft.

The designer's EAs and their documentation packet are sent directly to me. I check them over to make sure there is no mention of the designer in any of the documentation included with the EA and they are forwarded to the judges by me.

The Judges do their judging and forward their results to me.

So the judges idenity is a closely guarded secret in this contest.

The designers in this contest still do not know who the judges in this contest were.

Along with the presentation of the judges to you members here in this post, it is also the presentation of the judges to the designers in this contest.

"Meet the judges"

"OPJOSE" "PHRANK" "COWBOY" "DOUG SCHLUTER"

"RMIKEBAKER" "ONDERUNWAY" "WINGMAN57"

The judging panel was picked by me. I had posted in the thread starting this contest to have anyone interesting in being a judge to contact me. Only one member did, that one didn't work out.

So I went recruiting. Looking for designers, very knowledgable members, and trying to cover a variable age group. Anyone who I did not know as a designer, I requested them to give me a complete description of what was involved in making an EA. The judging was going to be very complicated and very specific.

This is the group I finally decided on. I felt they were all very qualified to be the "Judging Panel". They proved that.

One funny experience in picking this panel: I did a lot of searching the forum and looking at postings in the forum and in the swaps. One I noticed and was impressed with was "Wingman57". So I contacted him and asked if he would be willing to be a judge. He said yes he would. Not knowing him as a designer, I requested him to send me a description of what was involed in doing an AE. He sent me the best description of any I received. Then he sends me another PM: "I think I must tell you that I am only 14 years old."

After I finish laughing and picking myself up and get back in my chair, I tell myself: "Well, I wanted to cover all age groups here."

I do not know the age of all the judges here. But, between 14 year old "Wingman57" and "Onderunway" who is older than God, I felt I had it covered.

These judges did an outstanding job. Every single one of them. The judging was different on each "Judge's Scoring Sheet". Exactly what I expected and hoped for.

They were all entrusted with EAs that had not been released to the public yet and were to be held in the top secrecy of being private property of the designers they were from.

It was necessary for reasons I will not divulge here, that the presentation of the aircraft to the members in this thread had to be done before they were all finished judging. Those were instructed to not read this thread until they were finished judging. There judging comments proved that they did that. Again, honorable men.

So when it comes to posting those wonderful "thank you" in this thread, do not forget this great group of guys.

"IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THIS GREAT A CONTEST WITHOUT THEM"

Meet The Sponsors

"You can't have a contest without sponsors."

I thought that this would be no problem.

Surly all the members, who receive these great gifts would be jumping at the chance to finally have a way of showing their appreciation. That didn't happen.

Surly the people like KnifeEdge and Great Planes would jump at the chance to show their appreciation for these great gifts that they also receive for free. that didn't happen.

Knifeedge would not even respond to my three request. Great Planes did respond and gave me a song and dance about how poor they are and how their advertizing budget is so tightly allocated and how they would have to look into the legal ramifications of giving $5.00 to a contest.

Truth is, They consider these designers a deperment to them. Who is going out to buy "Expanson Packs" when they are getting greater aircraft for free.

Two great men came forward with large pledges early in the contest. "PHRANK" and "ONDERUNWAY". Between them and me, we have a contest award fund.

I am also into HO model trains. A group of us meet on Fridays for lunch. I am talking about this crazy thing I am doing and one of my dear friends, "STEVE OTT" tells me he would like to contribute. He owns a trophy shop and wants to donate three large engraved trophies. WOW, he doesn't even know what this site is from apples.

"SECOND MOST GUARDED SECRET IN THE CONTEST"

These designers are really in this contest for the fun of it, and a little bragging rights. The money is not really that important.

I decide to expand on this with plaques for the other places and a Designer's cup.

Are these designers going to be surprised or what? Talk about something to brag with, now they have something to show at the same time. I expect you all are going to be seeing a new photo in their swap attachments.

As the contest progresses we pick up some more wonderful sponsors.

"KMOT", "SQUELCHKNOB". "WILLSONMAN", "DIRTYHARRY3033"

Such wonderful guys. So greatly appreciated.

So these are the sponsors. It truly placed a wonderful finish on this contest. I can imagine that these designers had no idea what was in store for them in the award presentation. It must have been a real shock.

"SO LET THE THANKS KEEP COMING" "HERE IS A WHOLE NEW GROUP THAT REALLY DESERVE IT"

Thanks to all the judges and sponsors!
George you summed it up pretty good :
"IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THIS GREAT A CONTEST WITHOUT THEM"

Hats off to Judges and Contributors.

I really enjoyed being a part of the Contest.

Andrzej =Andy=an-Jay=arb6591

Last edited:
He he. :D

Yeah, that is a very good indicator how small this community is.
Out of hundreds of forum members, the very, very minority actually engage in discussion of this simulator software and it's potential.

Hopefully that changes in the future, and if your contest entries inspire future designers, we all win in the longterm.

Congrats to all of you guys on a great contest.
Frank...

Everyone that use the swap pages benefit from all the designers aircraft and i thank all of you modelers for your aircraft,guess some people just don't know the work involved in doing up a model .

I'd like to once again thank George and the judges for all the time and effort they devoted to this contest. I'm sure it was not easy to rate this many excellent aircraft, but I found it very illuminating to see how you all did it.

Doug

I want to thank the Judges for taking the time to take this fairly seriously. I appreciate every drop of feedback I can get to make my models even better. Some did that more than others but all still gave some insight. I sure look forward to other fantastic new flying machines for others soon that are better than these.

Katonka said:
No this contest will not hapen again by me and I really feel sorry for anyone who tries it. You have no idea what I had to go through to do this contest. I could do a thread and you would not believe some of the stories.

It really was a pain in the *** seeing you go through all this, I would certainly have dropped the task if I were in your shoes.

But you did such a great job in the end! :D

You have my greatest thanks for putting up with all of us and finishing what you started.

Thanks!
Frank...

dhk79 said:
I'd like to once again thank George and the judges for all the time and effort they devoted to this contest. I'm sure it was not easy to rate this many excellent aircraft, but I found it very illuminating to see how you all did it.

Doug

I'll second that. Great stuff people!

Carl

This should be done again

Although this was a lot of work, it was a chance for the people in Knifeedge to show some appreciation for what these designers do.

Wasn't a whole lot of that, but atleast the designers did receive a award for what they do.

And above that, it produced some of the nicest aircraft this Knifeedge has ever seen to this day.

I would think that someone out there would be willing to do this again.

Wow hey katonka havnt seen or heard from you since the contest ended good to see your still around. I agree with you someone should start up another contest because no that i have the programs i would like to enter a model for a contest.

Yeah you did a fantastic ( and under-appreciated! ) job putting all of this together.

Some in the peanut gallery had no conception of the work involved by everyone.

A lot of though went into the design of the judging sheets, etc.

Hello everybody ... :)

I have been trying to "digest" Blender method for creating a model for RF.
All I can tell you, it is not easy but it can be done and using completely free programs.

Might put something on SP one day but I am taking my time.

Good to see some some friends again here ......

Andrzej

Back