Proble updating

maxelle

I've just updated my G2 to the latest version. First: i never been able to connect to primary server. so i always use the secondary server.
The system told me that was downloading a new version of control panel. Afer finish downloading, when i run the control panel i receive the following messages:
1) "This file nedds to complete download"
2) Error connecting to the server .. KEError 183 connecting to archive serevr
3) KE4352. Access to the Primary server failed. Would you like to try the secondary server?
4)After "YES" Windows XP signal an error with this details:
AppName: cpanel.tmp0 AppVer: 2.0.0.292 ModName: cpanel.tmp0
ModVer: 2.0.0.292 Offset: 0004c9ef

...and my control panel never appears!!

What can i do to solve the problem?
MaxL

The normal operation is to download the new cp, reboot then link up and finish the download. It looks like when you went back to link up to finish, you could not get a connection. I think that is on of the causes of the 183 error. Keep trying. Internet traffic to some of my usual site has been very bad the last month or 2.

I'm brand new at all this, am running Windows XP with a cable modem, just brought home my new Lite 2.00.570 today, and after installing, I wanted the newest version ... and ran into these very problems. I.e. I registered, then began upgrade (after being bumped to secondary server?)then it said I had downloaded a new control panel and to exit out and continue the download. But when I rebooted it would only give me the error message even on the secondary and lock up no matter how I rebooted or re-accessed the control panel, or if I manually downloaded the new control panel. I finally found Highflyer's reply about clearing out the "KE folder on windows/programs/common files. It's actually not under windows - just go to your main hard drive/programs/common files/Knife Edge (who knew that's what KE was!) and delete the whole folder. This lets you start over (reinstall) without automatically hanging up. NOW, whenI got to the step where it says to close it out and reboot, I went directly to "start" and rebooted without closing that nasty window that throws you into the dead end. Then after it rebooted, I went directly to "start/programs/realflight/control panel" and clicked on upgrade ... AND IT WORKED! After all this it says the upgrade just fixes a videocard that I don't even have. It worked fine before, it works fine now ... I'm ready to fly!
Later, - Lew

Same problem here. Other friend's system the same problem. If you want a short cut, try to update using "update to specific version". But, everytime you open the control panel, it'll try to complete the update because for it, it still imcomplete until able to connect to the update site.

Definitely, there's a bug with that control panel version you download when doing the updates.

Sort of the same

I had installed a new Hard Drive and G2 then "lost" all my serial numbers. To make a 3.5 hour story short, I also got to the point where the control panel was trying to finish after restarting itself but I kept getting a windows message that control panel had performed an illegal operation (Win98). So I deleted the folder discussed above, used a file I downloaded to manually install the CP, got back on line and got the same thing all over again. Seems that it remembers that it wants to complete its installation even though the original version was no longer there.

I had to totally uninstall RealFlight, install Deluxe, install the G2 upgrade, wipe out the mentioned folder, run the manual CP install file and then re-register, and finally upgrade to the latest version. To say the least, the software is not designed with consumer ease of installation in mind. I hate to see what happens next month when I upgrade my computer with a new motherboard and video card. I'm sure I will have to do the same crap all over again. Hopefully though it won't take 3.5 hours!

A tip: Next time you have to go through all that reinstalling, you only have to install to the point of entering your serial number. That's all the update is looking for. That tip originally came direct from KE programmer.

Interesting

That is interesting. Wish I had known that then I wouldn't have spent 3.5 hours in agony. So you do install from the control panel, enter the serial number it wants... then what.. Hit Cancel or Next? The Next button brings up a screen wanting the Deluxe serial # as the G2 disc is an upgrade disc, so when and how do you get out of the install? And your saying once your out it now remembers your serial number and all would have been right with the world? Hope so when I upgrade the machine next month.

I had the same problem with the update, and the error messages you mention. The answer was to manually download the update to 592 version from the web address that KE give you if you ask them. This is about 6 meg (as I recall) and might take a while if you don't have a fast connection.

You get these error messages if you are using a firewall that prevents the operation of downloading directly.

Back