Problem with Real Flight 9.0-9.5s hanging on program launch (long term, multiple systems)

And Norton didn't tell you? That seems wierd.

FYI: yesterday, a friend asked me to speed up his 8th gen laptop. I ran it for a couple hours, trying different things. Dog slow & pretty much unusable. 100% disk usage the whole time. I recommended replacing his 1TB spinning HD with a 500G SSD since he was using less than 200G. With his permission, I uninstalled Norton since it's my least favorite security suite. It sped up quite a bit, and then a McAffee warning popped up complaining that its subsription had expired - which never appeared in the couple hours Norton was running. My #2 un-favorite. I uninstalled that, too. That left Windows Defender running. 3 AV programs anaylzing everything before anything would run! It actually feels like a PC now instead of feeling like a paperweight. I'm going to replace the HD with an SSD anyway to really make it fly.

In case you're interested, I run MalwareBytes Pro + Windows Defender. Except for the occasional warning, I can't feel any performance difference whether MB is running or not. But unless you're doing dangerous stuff, IMHO, you don't NEED more than Defender. It's good enough for most users who practice safe computing - and it's FREE. Of the hundreds (I stopped counting years ago) of PC's I've fixed/disinfected over 35 years, I've never seen an infected one that was using Defender. But I've seen lots of infected PC's with expired Norton/McAffee subscriptions - and a few with subscriptions that hadn't expired..

Last edited:
Another update guys, Rf 9.5S does not run via Steam when using VPN. You have to disable your VPN service for it to run, I am using SurfShark VPN.

Hope you can help.
Sorry if the answer to my question is already somewhere in this forum. I have little experience searching for answers in Knifeedge.
I was able to download SkyLeaf and Harmony to RF 9.5 and had it running. I had to close RF to go have breakfast and when I returned to run again RF it just won't start. I'm terribly sad and disappointed that I just downloaded/added a new model like many times before and now I can't even run real flight.
Could you please tell me what I did wrong?

In case you're interested, I run MalwareBytes Pro + Windows Defender. Except for the occasional warning, I can't feel any performance difference whether MB is running or not. But unless you're doing dangerous stuff, IMHO, you don't NEED more than Defender.

Hi Bill, good to know. I do not go into any sites which is questionable and do not use any anti virus software, I depend on the router and MS default firewall and other security features. Knock wood I have not recalled when last I had any viruses or malware, maybe over 15 years now.

I only installed a VPN service since I am now living outside of the North America and cant get some apps, news feeds and some other services to run with out VPN, I hate that "Cant access, you are out of region" message LOL.

I would like to download the RF 9.5S to run independently than running via Steam, I think I have seen few links on how to do it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hope you can help.
Sorry if the answer to my question is already somewhere in this forum. I have little experience searching for answers in Knifeedge.
I was able to download SkyLeaf and Harmony to RF 9.5 and had it running. I had to close RF to go have breakfast and when I returned to run again RF it just won't start. I'm terribly sad and disappointed that I just downloaded/added a new model like many times before and now I can't even run real flight.
Could you please tell me what I did wrong?

First mistake, was to leave an exciting Sim like RF 9.5S to go have breakfast, wrong, wrong wrong, you should have eaten while flying. :confused:

Secondly, why will you turn off the Sim, should have cranked up the the audio so you can have breakfast while hearing that beautiful Extra 300S Giant scale engine idle :D

Third, I am joking, a lot LOL...but I do eat and fly on the sim at times :)

On a serious note, did you restart the PC? Since it was running before I doubt you are affected by any antivirus software or VPN service. It still wont hurt to temporarily disable them if you have them running.

There are many smart guys here including the developers who might be able to help. You can also start a chat at Horizon Hobby, choose Technical Support and they should be able to help you there too.

Hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Cheers.

Knock wood I have not recalled when last I had any viruses or malware, maybe over 15 years now.
It's been longer than that for me. The last time I was infected was around 1999 with the CIH virus. And I managed to infect a customer/friend's PC. :oops: Talk about embarrassing!!!!! I work on PC's for other people & frequently connect their HD's to my PC to diagnose/disinfect, so I can't afford to take any chances. So I DO run additional protection even though I don't recommend it for most people since Defender is free, "good enough," and everybody already has it.

I would like to download the RF 9.5S to run independently than running via Steam, I think I have seen few links on how to do it.
Since I'm not runing 9.5S I can't say for sure. But I'm sure I've read that the steam version will run without an internet connection once it's installed, but it might need to be connected occasionally to verify/update.

First mistake, was to leave an exciting Sim like RF 9.5S to go have breakfast, wrong, wrong wrong, you should have eaten while flying. :confused:

Secondly, why will you turn off the Sim, should have cranked up the the audio so you can have breakfast while hearing that beautiful Extra 300S Giant scale engine idle :D

Third, I am joking, a lot LOL...but I do eat and fly on the sim at times :)

On a serious note, did you restart the PC? Since it was running before I doubt you are affected by any antivirus software or VPN service. It still wont hurt to temporarily disable them if you have them running.

There are many smart guys here including the developers who might be able to help. You can also start a chat at Horizon Hobby, choose Technical Support and they should be able to help you there too.

Hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Cheers.

Thanks for trying to help
I tried to run RF after restarting my computer and also restarting RF from Steam. Still no go. On the upper edge it shows not responding

Another update guys, Rf 9.5S does not run via Steam when using VPN. You have to disable your VPN service for it to run, I am using SurfShark VPN.
You are the first user I've heard of encountering this issue, but I did a little research and I see that it is indeed a potential limitation.

I only installed a VPN service since I am now living outside of the North America and cant get some apps, news feeds and some other services to run with out VPN, I hate that "Cant access, you are out of region" message LOL.
You touched on the crux of the matter here. VPNs can allow you to appear to be in a different country. The reason this matters to Steam is that software on their service is priced differently in different locations due to currency exchange rates and other factors. They don't want people lying about where they live in order to purchase titles at considerably lower prices that are intended for a completely different market. (Some secondary concerns involve accessing titles that wouldn't otherwise be available in your location as well as in-game items, discounts, etc.)

But you don't want to do those things. You just want to secure your Internet traffic. If you search online, you will find numerous discussions of ways for Steam and VPN service to coexist. I'm not advocating any of them. There are potential risks involved. I suspect, though, that you could find a way forward that lets you do what you want without doing anything Steam doesn't want and that everybody would be sufficiently happy in that situation.

Since I'm not runing 9.5S I can't say for sure. But I'm sure I've read that the steam version will run without an internet connection once it's installed, but it might need to be connected occasionally to verify/update.
Bill has it right. Steam has an Offline mode, selectable from the main Steam menu.

Steam offline mode.png

It will periodically require you to reconnect to their service. You should be able to run a long time in between.

@David Fried, restoring RealFlight to its default settings might help. Normally you would choose that option from RealFlight's Help menu, but if the software won't start then you'll have to do it manually.
  1. Navigate to your computer's Documents\RealFlight 9 directory.
  2. Locate your RealFlight.ini.
  3. Rename that file. (You could delete it, but if this doesn't help it would be nice to have the option to restore it.)
  4. While you're at it, delete your Documents\RealFlight 9\Cache directory. (Don't worry, everything in here will be regenerated.)
  5. Try running RealFlight again.
If it runs after that, try loading the last custom vehicle again and see if it RealFlight stops working again. If so, you can perform the steps above to recover, and please post a link to that item on our swap pages so we can take a closer look.

I have renamed realflight.ini
I have deleted everything in cache
I tried running real flight and it says display driver stopped working and has recovered. But simulator does not start.
Please what can I try next?

Back