Problems with Real Flight 3.5

2kwik2c

Hi there,

I bought my Real Flight G3.5 Sim last February of 2007 and installed the program on my computer. I'm running a Windows XP OS with a 250GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon video card.

Anyways my installation of this program was without a hitch. Everything went through OK...no problem. After a couple of months of usage and learned how to fly Helis I decided to uninstall the Real Flight program off my computer since I hardly use it anymore and plus to clear up some disc space. I did a complete uninstall of the real flight program.

Last weekend I decided to re-install my Real Flight Sim again to learn a couple of heli maneuvers. Disc 1 and 2 of the installation disc went through ok with any problems. Then when I put in Disc 3 the progress bar goes through until it hits 108593k then it gets stuck there. It needs a total of 255455k to install the RFV3_3.DCK file according to the progress task bar.

Usually you can hear the disc spinning inside the CDROM when it's installing/configuring programs to your computer, but when my Disc 3 installation disc goes through and get stuck to that point you could hear the disc stop spinning as well. I then cancel the installation, eject the CD and check for any scratches or finger prints which there were none. I even used a CD cleaning solution to cleanthe CD and even ran my CD ROM cleaning kit thinking that my CD ROM's laser reader is dirty and needs some cleaning. After all that work, Disc 3 of the installation disc still gets stuck with no progression at all. I even left it there for about a good 15 minutes to see that maybe it will re-run itself again, but to no avail it's still stuck.

I un-installed/deleted all Real Flight programs off of the Program Files and re-install it again from scratch. Again the Disc 3 installtion disc gets stuck and never progress. It gets stuck at the same area....108593K.

I also tried copying the files from the original disc to burn it to another disc. I was thinking that maybe the CD is really bad. All the files from Disc 3 gets copied except for the Real Flight\Data on Disc 3 that contains the RFV3_3.DCK file. I couldn't get this file copied and gets an error message stating "Cannot copy RFV3_3.DCK: Data error (cyclic redundancy check.). Could this file be corrupt or something? I'll gladly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks.

You've done everything that I would have tried so far.

If I were you, my next move would be to try installing on another computer and see whether you run into the same problem. That will tell you whether it's a bad disc or if there's something wrong with your computer.

If the disc is bad, you should contact Great Planes Software Support (http://www.gpsoftware.com/contacts.htm) and ask to get a new disc.

Actually I've suggested this before and others have had good luck using this technique to determine problems with the installation disk...

Copy the entire CD to a directory on your hard drive.

If it succeeds the disk is OK, though make sure you select everything on the CD.

If it works you could also drop that directory into another directory, and rename it to be "disk3".

Then likewise copy the other three disks to other directories called

disk1
disk2
disk4

respectively...

NORMALLY ( though not always ) the MSI installer knows about this data structure and will perform an install w/o prompting you for another disk(!)...

I have not however tried this with either G3 or G4, so your results may vary.

Thanks for the reply David and opjose

I've tried installing my Real Flight G3.5 on another PC (My wife's PC) hehe! Anyways, the same problem. It'll get stuck to that point and stay there.

I also tried installing it in my HP laptop and stil the same problem with Disc 3.

I've also taken to account opjose's proposal of copying the entire files on my C: drive. Disc 1 copied ok, Disc 2 copied ok too, and then Disc 3 showed an error message stating "Cannot copy RFV3_3.DCK: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)".

So now everything is pointing to Disc3 being a bad CD. I'll have to forward this to Great planes Software support then and see what they can do.

BTW, Thanks for that link David.

glich

Man,
you've been reading my mail... I have the same problem, sent some mail to the Great Planes guys but no answer yet. If you get it solved, PLEASE send me the text...
Thanks, send to gerotheman@wmconnect.com so I can get it quicker...

Geno Loro

Last edited:
Back