PX-51

The PX-51 was created out of the Toxin airframe so I hide the servos while I reworked everything so this morning I showed them and moved them to fit the new airframe. I guess next I need to do the landing gear I'm sure they'll look a bit odd because it's a mid-wing so they'll be tall like Toxin but it'll have retracts so you won't see them in flight. I don't have any pictures this time but I'll post a picture when I rework the gear.

I reworked the landing gear and like I mentioned with a mid-wing the gear is pretty long so it kind of messes with the look of the profile but they retract so it will look fine in the air. Here's what I changed from the Toxin gear.

1. Reduced the gear height 1 inch.
2. Reduced the angle from 25 degrees to 15 degrees.
3. Moved the gear forward 1.394 inches.
4. Moved the gear toward the fuselage 1/2 inch.

That's probably the best I can do for a profile version with a mid-wing. I think the only thing left to do is add the intakes below the engine and fuselage and recess them some. After that I can start on the physics I'm looking forward to flying it.

PX-51 07.jpg

FLY FLY FLY FLY!!!!!
tenor.gif

Right now I'm on a break I've done a lot of modeling today so I want to play my game for a while. But after thinking about the tires I'll probably make them 15% larger instead of 10% the extra diameter I tried definitely made the plane look better so I'm thinking a little more would be even better. I was also thinking about what to expect after I start working on the physics the PX-51 has less wing area and control surface than Toxin so it will probably fly a little milder and have a little bit higher stall speed. So it'll be interesting to see what it fly's like after I get it going. I always like to adjust my expectations before I start on the physics.

I tend to find something to tweak so I did a couple of things tonight. The hstab and vstab looked a little too thick so I reduced the thickness from .45 to .40. Then I reworked the wheel to look more like the one on the P-51. I recessed the inner part of the wheel, rounded off the slots, and added a slight bulge to the sidewall.

PX-51 12.jpg

I have all the parts finished so I need to go back and redo all the pivot points I've moved and resized everything so they're going to be off. After that it'll be time to do the mapping so there's still lots of work to do. I'm about ready to go do the grocery shopping so I won't be doing any work on the plane for a while.

So my 2 and 1/2 cents is a little late but what if you pulled the landing gear in toward the body flared them into a wye and added monster tires to make it into a butt kicking S.t.a.l. fighter. Ok maybe not worth a full 2 1/2 cents....maybe 2 cents. Just a thought.
This is one of my knock-about planes so it breaks all the rules. It's an electric version but it has smoke and the gear retracts. It's just something fun to fly but not meant as a serious plane.

Back