Question about making airport depth objects

OK, I have some spherical pans that make disappointing photofields because of object shapes that have no equal in the RF8 object library. Usually, the culprits are protective fencing around the pilot stations or a nearby tree. So, I'd like to be able to build 3D objects to fit.

Without any knowledge of 3D software or whether or not this is feasible, here's what I'd like to be able to do (please excuse any incorrect terminology):
-trace an object (a fence frame or a tree for example) in the original image as closed hairline vector paths.
-adjust perspective by stretching and warping to approximate the actual object shape.
-extrude the 2D vector image into a thin 3D object, as if it were a cardboard cutout.
-color it red like RF8's native depth buffer objects.
-in RF8,
-import the object as an airport object.
-position it onto the photofield and set the azimuth, roll and inclination to approximate the original perspective, which hopefully will be a pretty good fit.
-export the photofield as an RFX, which includes the custom object(s).

Can this be done and with what software? Wings 3D? I fully expect a steep learning curve, but would like to hear what you think before getting started.

What is the first thing you want too make?
Wow, I went on a hunt to find something simple and found that most of these objects are anything but simple.

However, here's one that's not too bad, even if it is a little bit far away. Again, I'm not looking to do anything but extrude, so the overhang on the sign doesn't have to be replicated for my purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_7202crop.jpg
    IMG_7202crop.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 10
Hey, that didn't take you long, thx.

I just made the pot in the tutorial. One problem I'm having is the program is too sensitive to mouse movements. It goes bat-**** crazy when extruding and moving unless I hit tab and manually enter values.

Whoops, had to delete a post; the screen shot had a little too much detail ;)

I did a tree outline object on Wings 3D, but could not find a way to get it into RF8. As a whole, it's pretty safe to say that me and 3D drawing do not get along whatsoever.

Attachments

• wings3dtree2.jpg
    wings3dtree2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
Well, I got everything mapped but still couldn't find a direct path to RF8. So, I found an old FBX converter by Autodesk and exported 3ds and obj files from Wings to convert. They converted to FBX, but RF import converts the FBX into a KEX and gives me an error message that the path to the texture file can't be found in the KEX file.

This is totally FUBAR. There's no excuse why a simple extrusion of a 2D vector drawing should take more than a minute, but 10 hours later, another roadblock. I'm throwing in the towel and going out to trim the hedge.

Back