Questions about RF-8

Can you link the rebate that gives RFX owners the ability to return this joke of a program and get RF8? :eek:

No I cant! Nor can any of the other RealFlight Users!
This is a RealFlight 8 Thread. :rolleyes:

I've bought every RF since g3. I ordered RFX the day of release, and I've pre-ordered RF-8 (very excided about this one!)
RF has had ups & downs. Along the way I've made suggestions as to how it could be improved. On occasion I've been critical, and I've even expressed frustration at times... in a constructive (if sarcastic) way.

I owe ALL my realworld RC skill to using Realflight, and even my least favorite versions have been hands down the best simulator on the market. So when I read comments aiming to tear down what is basically a small company, I am reminded how easy it is to stand on the outside and snipe... as opposed to taking the considerable risk which goes with innovation.

There are bound to be wrong turns here & there. RFX may be one... or it might just evolve into the Must Have sim for anyone serious about RC flying. Either way, I'm glad to support a company which has been consistently producing vastly superior products... so I'm in for the long haul!

I've bought every RF since g3. I ordered RFX the day of release, and I've pre-ordered RF-8 (very excided about this one!)
RF has had ups & downs. Along the way I've made suggestions as to how it could be improved. On occasion I've been critical, and I've even expressed frustration at times... in a constructive (if sarcastic) way.

I owe ALL my realworld RC skill to using Realflight, and even my least favorite versions have been hands down the best simulator on the market. So when I read comments aiming to tear down what is basically a small company, I am reminded how easy it is to stand on the outside and snipe... as opposed to taking the considerable risk which goes with innovation.

There are bound to be wrong turns here & there. RFX may be one... or it might just evolve into the Must Have sim for anyone serious about RC flying. Either way, I'm glad to support a company which has been consistently producing vastly superior products... so I'm in for the long haul!

Quoted for support... Great Post ! ( And yes I've been critical at times too )

right i have bought every sim from G3 up to RF 7.5 as well , but stopped at RFX due to having to spend more bux than i wanted to on my computer , so RF 8 i will get when available , maybe as mentioned if RFX gets better and when i do upgrade my computer i will get that too

Good post and excellent point Stringfellow. I also owe realflight and knife edge the credit for my learning how to fly helicopters. They have saved me from spending who knows however much money from crashes I didn't have until I got it down pat in RealFlight. The price for RF-X was worth it for the newer InterLink-X alone. I use it for other simulators and soon Rf8.

right i have bought every sim from G3 up to RF 7.5 as well , but stopped at RFX due to having to spend more bux than i wanted to on my computer , so RF 8 i will get when available , maybe as mentioned if RFX gets better and when i do upgrade my computer i will get that too
My story is similar. I pre-ordered RF-X, but when I received it and discovered that the REAL cost would be about $500 including a video card to make it usable, I returned it immediately. And upgraded from 5.5 to 7.5 instead. I'll buy RF8... if I can convince She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to let me spend the money on another big-boy toy.

I upgraded my pc to accept RF-X, and it works excellent for me. It's very smooth and I use it more often than I use 7.5. Yes I spent a lot of money on the computer, but I use it for other software that takes advantage of the high end hardware so I probably would have upgraded it anyway. I usually buy the best at the time and keep it for 3-5 years and do it again.

I spent a lot of money on the computer, but I use it for other software that takes advantage of the high end hardware so I probably would have upgraded it anyway.
My COMPUTER is plenty good enough - Quad Xeon 3.6 w/ 32G, SATA3 SSD for boot & programs + 2TB RAID5 (3x1TB SATA3) for data. But I'm not a gamer, and RFX would be the only program I'd use that NEEDS a super video card. I can't justify the cost just for RFX. I'll probably go to RF8 instead.

Last edited:
I'm going to rapid-fire answer a few questions before heading out for the day:

As a reminder, an RF-X update is coming sometime after RF8's release.

Expansion Packs, Mega Packs, and swap pages content is fully supported.

As with previous major versions of the product, multiplayer sessions will not mix.

Take care everyone!

So, other than a few little things, RF7.5 and rf8 are identical. Why should I spend $100 on this, plus additional money to jump into aircraft modelling? Sell this program to me, please.

So, other than a few little things, RF7.5 and rf8 are identical. Why should I spend $100 on this, plus additional money to jump into aircraft modelling? Sell this program to me, please.

2 Letters.

V R.

This is a HUGE upgrade for us besides the additional content. With a Proper VR Setup, It would be just like being at the local flying field. You watch the model, just like you would at the field.

Virtual Reality is the future.

Also having Multiple controller support is kind of a nice thing. If I am flying a couple of my quads, I fly a couple of them with a Game controller, Like a Xbox or playstation. I could now connect that controller to Realflight and Fly the quads in Realflight just like I do in LiftOff, another sim geared towards racing quads.

Last edited:
Yes me too I've been very critical and disappointed at times here on the forum and I've not at all bought or invested in RFX.

I'm not anything of a spectacular RC Heli pilot but I owe pretty much all of the skills
that I have learned and am able to do on actual RC helicopters to my practice
time on Realflight 6 and 7.5.

And despite all of the shortcomings I have complained about RF 7.5 is still by far the best multiplayer RF heli experience out there.

https://youtu.be/N-LrTa-g9_Q?t=4m8s

I'm not sure what you meant by "plus additional money to jump into aircraft modelling". You may be laboring under a misconception.

Presumably you saw the announcement which lists various features. I'll try to add a little additional commentary that may be helpful.

VR is a huge deal. I--and definitely the people here who worked on it!--would strongly dispute the notion that it is a "little thing". ;) It's the sort of feature that is hard to describe with words. It is really best experienced for oneself.

The new FPV drone racing challenges are a blast. And humbling if you're just starting out. There are a bunch of great courses.

The new race flight controller component is also a big improvement to how race drones behave in the sim, whereas the features integrated from RealFlight Drone are significant if you fly any kind of drones at all.

The new vehicles are a great mix. To call out just a few: There's the beautiful Riley Model B (more info). I saw pictures of it on display at the Toledo Show in 2016 and knew we had to have it in RealFlight. The Synergy 766 (more info) is a great new heli that is large (it spins 810mm blades) and powerful yet also nimble. The new Gremlin 280 (added in 8.00.019) offers insane performance in a small package. The Tiny Terror 150, as the name implies, is a dinky little quad with full FPV capability. And of course we brought over a whole bunch of drones and related types of vehicles from RealFlight Drone, including camera ships, quick little racers, and the highly unique xCraft X PlusOne (more info).

Adding FBX import capability reopens the avenue of custom content creation that has been closed to so many for so long--and with a much higher poly cap, to boot. You may not use this yourself, but you will likely benefit from it thanks to the effort and generosity of others!

Attachments

• Riley Model B.jpg
    Riley Model B.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Synergy 766.jpg
    Synergy 766.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 16
We do appreciate the words of support. Thanks guys. :)

And great video N8LBV! We've always liked the possibilities and fun surprises that a fairly open simulator environment can provide.

Great news on the update and shipping. Tower was telling me the last week of the month so that's confirmation from the source I will see my copy soon. :)

Thanks for adding another new heli in the Gremlin 280. I can't wait to fly the 766 too !!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you meant by "plus additional money to jump into aircraft modelling". You may be laboring under a misconception.

Presumably you saw the announcement which lists various features. I'll try to add a little additional commentary that may be helpful.

VR is a huge deal. I--and definitely the people here who worked on it!--would strongly dispute the notion that it is a "little thing". ;) It's the sort of feature that is hard to describe with words. It is really best experienced for oneself.

The new FPV drone racing challenges are a blast. And humbling if you're just starting out. There are a bunch of great courses.

The new race flight controller component is also a big improvement to how race drones behave in the sim, whereas the features integrated from RealFlight Drone are significant if you fly any kind of drones at all.

The new vehicles are a great mix. To call out just a few: There's the beautiful Riley Model B (more info). I saw pictures of it on display at the Toledo Show in 2016 and knew we had to have it in RealFlight. The Synergy 766 (more info) is a great new heli that is large (it spins 810mm blades) and powerful yet also nimble. The new Gremlin 280 (added in 8.00.019) offers insane performance in a small package. The Tiny Terror 150, as the name implies, is a dinky little quad with full FPV capability. And of course we brought over a whole bunch of drones and related types of vehicles from RealFlight Drone, including camera ships, quick little racers, and the highly unique xCraft X PlusOne (more info).

Adding FBX import capability reopens the avenue of custom content creation that has been closed to so many for so long--and with a much higher poly cap, to boot. You may not use this yourself, but you will likely benefit from it thanks to the effort and generosity of others!

I notice what looks to be a new propeller on the Riley Model B. Will there be new props? and a default radial engine sound?

We do appreciate the words of support. Thanks guys. :)

And great video N8LBV! We've always liked the possibilities and fun surprises that a fairly open simulator environment can provide.

question about VR..im going to with oculus rift. will RF8 use the touch controllers or the normal interlink ? Im new to VR, but to me i would think the interlink control would be what Id use. wondering if I can get rift without the added touch controls ? Im not a gamer so I only plan to use rift with RF only.

We do not support VR controllers at all, and only one controller at a time in any case.

Jim

Back