Ratings Abuse

Which is the bigger problem, anonymous 5 ratings, or thoughtless "10 Great ratings po

• Anonymous 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If it's acceptable to put a "10 Great" on every file without properly analyzing them, can I do the same with a "5 Average?"

Which is the bigger problem, anonymous 5 ratings, or thoughtless "10 Great" ratings plastered on every new file? Both skew the average rating. Yes flexible, you are going about this the wrong way.

Jeff , I see where your going here and agree somewhat with what your pointing out
here. Yes it is a flawed system of voting for a file as your downloading it, that is
not much of a evaluation of a plane cs or av. Or even if somebody does take the time
to go over the file do they have something to compare?

1 thru 10 hmmm. I have never made anything better than a 8 or worse than a 1 is there a .5?
I would guess a 5.. name or no name would be considered average... 8 better... and 10 outstanding.
Just my thoughts...

Knife edge has the best game in town with user content area, Could be why they keep a distance.
Keeps all those visitors and friends coming back and buying new products, see how many planes
you can find to download from the other guys new versions, I know I tried ..0... and 5 and the ones i
did download No comments or votes..did not matter i just wanted the content, so if people here use the
system to stoke egos or get back at a forum comment or revenge, that's how some people roll, not going to
change that maybe even with a name.

Brentg

Brent, the point of this particular thread is to try to make flexible aware of what a hypocrite he is. In other posts, he has said that 10s are for egos, and we don't need those people here. Now he slaps a 10 Great on every upload that is posted, without evaluating it. He is doing the same thing he is accusing others of doing. He complains of people abusing the ratings system, yet he does the same thing himself!

Ratings don't bother me, either. It's not like my pay for making the models is affected by ratings. I'm aware that some people rate 10s for everything, and others rate 5s to try to upset modelers. It doesn't upset me, but many modelers wish KE would make the simple fix of requiring a comment for every rating. Since they have a rating system, they ought to have a good one. You're not the first to suggest undeserved 5s wouldn't go away if names were required, but I disagree. If people were willing to put a name on a 5, they'd do it now.

Ok, I see now. Let me ask you this...If I rated 1 of your files a 5 which i considered average, and made the comment viewed by you only, would that not look like a anonymous attack on you by others? I really dont see a need for a rating system at all. Buts that's my opinion.

I have downloaded many files over the years from MS flight sim that did not have any comments or ratings and the ones that were not up to what I thought was a good file, it went bye bye...No need to beat up the artist or make comments how he could do better most of the time it did not have many downloads anyway. There are a lot of very talented people here, and I feel the proof is in the downloads and past offerings. But the majority just come for the goodies and never comment or rate.

My advice to any that model or mod files, If someones says your stuff is crap offer them to show us how to do it better...If someone verbally abuses you in the public forum pull them out on the carpet and 40 lashes to them...:) Just let it roll off your back, it is so much less stressful..;)

Every point you made is very logical and makes total sense and I agree the rating system should be removed altogether. Problem is KE has the rating system not for the designers, but for the downloaders to get a sense of the good files in the sea of mediocre to bad files. Therefore they seem to stand unwavering by this system with no regard to the turmoil it causes every few months. Now Felexible has defected into the rest of the riff raff with his childish tantrum "Give me a good rating please". Now he's pandering to the people who anonymously rate his files "I'll give you a 10 if you give me one". That is the purpose of this thread is to expose someone who claims he doesn't like anonymous erroneous ratings yet is handing out the highest rating without assessing the file and commenting "Great". I'm ashamed of Flexible's behavior and I hope it doesn't reflect badly on the rest of the hard working modelers here.

Flexible.... It looks like you're pretty well done here, at least with me anyway. KE seems to be OK with your in your face malicious attack on their rating system. The magic 5er is good to go with his fun. You might as well ramp it up a notch by creating a new identity(apparently equally easy to get away with) and counter all of your 10..Greats with a 1...SUCKS. I don't think you have their attention yet.;)

Last edited:
While I don't at all condone what Flexible has done with the 10 .... Great! ratings, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater either. I know Flexible has been a great help to me at times with the modeling. I would hate to see him leaving over this whole fiasco.

Well, I was perusing the swaps today and found this. Pretty sad. IMO its now like a magic 5er. All the discussion here has not prompted change on either end. I say we just chalk it up to one more thing we (participants of this community) have to ignore because it is out of our power to change.

Attachments

• flex.jpg
    flex.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 23
And there lies the problem with a name reveal. Duh!
You single out a guy and smear his character.

That alone is more destructive than an anonymous 5'er that steps on the contributors' egoes occasionally.

While I don't at all condone what Flexible has done with the 10 .... Great! ratings, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater either. I know Flexible has been a great help to me at times with the modeling. I would hate to see him leaving over this whole fiasco.

I agree. Flex has contributed a great deal to the modeling community here but its getting childish around here. Sometimes a 10 is merited with a simple comment like that. To a new content contributor its worthless other than stroking an ego. I really hate the waves being made here but honestly there seems to be a lot of bickering going on. Lets get back to making good content and less worrying about how its rated.

He wouldn't be the first to leave over ratings. I don't get it. It's just a meaningless number.

Well, I was perusing the swaps today and found this. Pretty sad. IMO its now like a magic 5er. All the discussion here has not prompted change on either end. I say we just chalk it up to one more thing we (participants of this community) have to ignore because it is out of our power to change.

Now look at every file on that first page.

I just took another look. We're good. A magic 5er is doing damage control including Flex's overrated files:D

I just took a look at what folks here are doing. For the first time everyone here including all the guests are in this forum, no one is downloading files.:confused:

Back