Real helis compared to RF

trillian

Is there a real helicopter that flies like the Dominion 3D 90 in Realflight?

If not, what RF heli is closest to a real counterpart?

Having never flown the real thing I have nothing to compare to but I love the Dominion 3D 90, the Dolphin and the Foiler and fly those three alternately most of the time.

-Sheryl

For the most part the Helis in G3 and G3.5 fly like real world helis of the same size.

E.G. a .50 in G3 will fly like a .50 in real life, but there are some important variances.

- Real heli's tend to fly with the right gear lower than the left by a small amount. This affects landings and slide slipping when the heli touches down.

- Real helis (for the most part) don't pitch up as much as their counterparts in G3.x do in fast forward flight.

- Real helis tend to roll to the right in fast forward flight, in G3 they roll to the left. There is a tendancy to do this as the blade traveling INTO the airflow generates more lift. Blade "flap" tries to counteract this, but the receeding blade generates less lift resulting in a slight rightward roll that is easily correctible.

- Real helis don't have the "spin" tendancy as the motor spools up, that they do in G3.x.

- Some of the G3.x helis are far more responsive than what you would see in a heli that you go out and purchase. Consider the G3.x helis to be better tuned than what you would get out of the box.

- Real helis tend to "catch" the ground more causing roll overs if they slide sideways at liftoff... a common cause of newbie heli destruction.

- It would be nice if G3.x could also be made to mimic slightly out of balance conditions, so that neophytes could learn to recognize this.

That is what I can think of quickly, and ther may be a few other minor things, but aside from the above, the G3 helis are pretty realistic.

Back