Realflight 6 - Custom Photofield Help

Sean.Alford

I’m trying to create our clubs field in RealFlight 6.

What size should the pano image be, what format?

Does anyone have an example pano’s bmp,jpg,etc…I could test with and share with our photographer?

The Carl Edwards field pano would be a great on to share with the photographer. Does anyone know how to export pano’s from ReadFlight?

Thanks!

In order for a photograph to capture everything, it must be a 2W x 1H format. Think 360 degrees around, 90 degrees up, 90 degrees down. That's 360 x 180, 2x1. Make it a .jpg file.

In addition to what has been stated above:

Do a keyword search on Google or flicker for "equirectangular panorama"
Those are the type of panoramas that will import into Realflight via the import menu.
.jpg are common, it will also feed on a .TGA.

thaty was a result page from using the key words:
Pano Images
in the advanced search ..................2 pages of links to threads about creating panos for RF come up .....try it ;)

@ phrank - equirectangular panorama

phrank said:
In addition to what has been stated above:

Do a keyword search on Google or flicker for "equirectangular panorama"
Those are the type of panoramas that will import into Realflight via the import menu.
.jpg are common, it will also feed on a .TGA.

I’m planning on breaking the shots into 30 degree increments. Maybe overkill???
So my first step will be taking 12 photos at 30 degree increments 90 degrees above the horizon, and then 12 photos at 30 degree increment 90 degrees below the horizon.
Next I’ll stitch them altogether using Photoshop and end up with a nice 360 x 180 image.
I thought I’d be done at that point, but it sounds like I’ll need to then find some software to convert the stitched image into the equirectangular panorama format.

Does anyone know if Photoshop will convert a pano into the equirectangular pano?

Sean.Alfod said:
I’m planning on breaking the shots into 30 degree increments. Maybe overkill???
No, I'd say it was serious under-kill.

From past experience, avoid using a wide angle lens - you will not like the result as the field perspective will seem off. Use a normal lens and get a good 10% or more overlap on each image. The last field I shot used 242 images and had seven 360 degree passes (one at the horizon and three each above & below) with about 10 degrees between each image center. Then add a couple more shots for straight up and straight down.

Figure that you are shooting the inside of a globe and you want to cover every square inch of it.

Ok... Sean...

I´m a professional panorama photographer... I´ve also made some Beautiful photofields of my country flying fields... Here you can check some of them searching for superalex69 on the knife edge swap pages...

If you have a good translator you can check my little explanation of amateur panography here... Maybe you don´t have good spanish... but I´m sure that the images will help you a lot to understand the basics....
http://www.alejandro-gutierrez.com/Sitio/introduccion.html

Please check the little secuence of images taken to make a full pano image... that images was taken with a 18mm lens... It have 36 images+cenit+nadir and is a very common lens...

Remember... You need that your images overlap over 1/3 of the other....

One of the members of our Club has created a nice Photofield of our airstrip. He's made it available as a ZIP file.

How do I install this? Do I need to unzip it and place the individual files in a separate subdirectory?

I'm using Windows 7 and RealFlight 6 (upgrade disk from RF 5.5)

Chances are that he did not take all the required pictures. What do you mean by individual files? There should only be one file to import. Import the correct file using the Import Panoramic Image function underneath the Simulation tab. RF NEVER requires manually placing any files in proper directories.

I looked too quickly at the Import function. After posting the msg, I noticed that there is an import function for ZIP files that I had overlooked.

I've imported the field but now I can't find it!!:D It doesn't appear to have gone into the Photofields subdirectory. At least I know the steps to import it...

Any hints??? I've successfully imported items into earlier versions of RF but RF6 appears to have a different set of subdirectories.

Bob

It looks the same to me. Like I said earlier, you need to do the 'Import raw panoramic image.' You'll find your airport at the top of the list when you have it sorted by Product.

Actually, I didn't have to do that "Import Raw Panoramic Image".

Instead I went to Simulation>Import>RealFlight Archive (RFX, G3X)...

When I clicked that link, there was an option to import the entire ZIP file as one single file.

Then I went to Environment>Select Airport>Custom Airports and there it was.

Bob

Apparently that will work, though that's not the correct way to import just a panoramic image. Hopefully you won't get unexpected results with your airport. I recommend importing a raw panoramic image as I suggested earlier.

Back