RealFlight 7.5 and Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Got it working on DELL XPS 9000 that I purchased in 2009. Had to replace the Radeon HD4870 video card with a Radeon HD6450 to get the video to work properly. This was due to Microsoft Windows 10 not supporting the HD4870. The other issue was by Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Sound Blaster. Creative labs just released the drives for Microsoft Windows 10.

Initially Realflight 7.5 ran like a dog due to slow graphic frame rates (Less than 20 Frames / Second). After I reset the defaults on Realflight 7.5, I was able to increase the frame rate to 40-80 frames / second

Realflight 7.5
Airport: Flight School
Airplane: B-25 Mitchell
Graphic Quality: Medium
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 Medium 16 Bit
Full Screen Mode: No

Computer: DELL XPS 9000
CPU: INTEL Corei7 2.93Ghz
Memory: 24GB RAM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

Realfligh 7.5 does not seem as smooth running under Windows 10 (64 Bit) as it did on 7 (64-Bit).

Windows 10 and realflight 7.5

I agree definitely take longer to load under windows 10, and not a smooth. Also the grey bar on top does not disappear since windows 7 unless you select the aircraft from the top menu bar instead of side bar.

Still worth the upgrade to windows 10 as every other game runs faster and smoother.

Realflight really needs to bring there code up to date.

Windows 8 & 10 both upped the number of background tasks that are launched at startup.

Both also increased the number of scheduled tasks which can run while Realflight is also running.

Couple that with things like the GeForce Experience background scan for games, and you have a recipe for pauses and slightly longer load times ( hint ACPI versus IDE helps on many systems ).

You can change the schedules for many of the "scheduled tasks", you can set things NOT to run at logon ( as many do ) nor when the system is idle and you can remove startup items.

All help quite a bit.

Win8/10 seems to think the machine is idle when running Realflight and kicks off scheduled tasks, set to launch at logon when the computer is idle.

A few tweaks here and there and I see no difference between Win7 versus Win10.

To start with:

Make sure your machine is using ACHI mode for disk access instead of IDE.

Go into the scheduler and modify when scheduled tasks are allowed to run. There are a SLEW of things Windows WILL run at or shortly after login, and there are a bunch of tasks that get run when the computer is idle. Always assume that anything that is run at idle WILL kick in while Realflight is running.

As mentioned above, disable GeForce Experience or at least set it to only scan upon demand.

If you are running on a Laptop or a Desktop system with a UPS under the drive policies, turn OFF "Windows write-cache buffer flushing".

There are a myriad of other things you can do but this becomes hardware dependent.

e.g. if you have a lot of RAM lock the kernel in memory, etc.

TweakUI for Windows 10 and Game Booster also will help do many things for you.

Holy bat crap!

There's a ton of things scheduled to run while idle. And ACHI vs IDE doesn't seem to be an option on this machine.

The only thing easy was disabling the GE Force Experience service.

Yeah it's pretty scary isn't it!

Microshaft should have provided an "optimized performance" mode the user can select, that prevents maintenance tasks from running.

They could have issued reminders at login to tell the user to let normal mode run from time to time for necessary system maintenance.

As it is there are indeed a boatload of things the machine tries to do when idle, and unfortunately when Realflight is running.

It seems like applications that utilize USB input and/or full screen apps, fool the operating system into believing the machine is completely idle.

I noticed that even though I had backup tasks set to run only when the computer is idle for 10 minutes or more, they will start whenever I run Realflight.

From the logs I found that almost all scheduled idle tasks will run WHILE Realflight is running... e.g. your hard drive will defragment if nothing else gets in the way.

As far as ACHI, go into the bios setup.

If you can set the machine to ACHI mode and see if it will boot. I find that some machines will boot and automatically change from IDE to ACHI mode after a subsequent reboot, but others will fail to boot completely.

If the latter happens go back into the bios and switch back to IDE mode.

If you have a RAID setup don't change anything.

However if you have an SSD drive, you'll only get full performance and full TRIM functionality with ACHI enabled.

GeForce experience is also annoying when it scans your machine. If you're surfing you'll barely notice it, but if you run more intensive programs it will have a dramatic effect.

The good thing about it, is that it will scan your computer for games and apply optimized configurations for each game specific to your computer. In other words it tweaks the games to get the best visuals while optimizing performance... at that it does a GREAT job.

It scans after each boot to keep up with changes to the Nvidia drivers and to locate newly installed programs.

Whose problem is this RF vs idle thing, and how likely is it to get fixed?

Edit: And did you say it's only a problem if running in pseudo fullscreen?

It's a Windows thing. (Or maybe DX9-10 programs thing).

Keyboard and mouse input is seen by the kernel as user activity. USB game device input sometimes is not.

I've noticed that it's worst in full screen mode ( or so it seems to me ) but it is hard to monitor processes when programs are running in full screen ( or in this case pseudo full screen ) modes.

Win10 is supposed to offer lower latencies for games, audio, etc. and there is supposed to be a degree of control available to the programmer/developers to halt scheduled tasks while running a CPU intensive program.... I suspect that will come hand in hand with later versions of DirectX.

Back